Skip navigation
ssfla
Currently Being Moderated

any luck with audio playback on the iPad?

Nov 22, 2011 9:04 AM

Tags: #cp5.5 #html5_converter #audio_problems

A general question to everyone using the HTML5 converter.

I have yet to find the magic combination for consistent audio playback on the iPad. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the audio will play on a slide, then after refreshing the page it doesn't play, even if I sit and wait for it.... Please trust that I've clicked the audio button to download it. & I've  compressed the crap out of the audio,  not to mention I've tested this with a short presentation and a larger presentation, object audio vs slide audio... Results are the same. The audio is fully converting, as it plays on my desktop via Safari.

Is anyone else experiencing similar audio issues?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to ssfla

yes. This has been the most frustrating part of the iPad experience with this converter. I wish I had more insight into this, but audio playback is not remotely consistent, and nothing I've done so far has made any difference. I wish I had more to add. I wish someone from Adobe would jump in here and chime in.

My other experience has been that some audio doesn't even get converted, and you have to code it in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to MiHoll_ID

I just converted my first Captivate file with the converter and while the video portion plays well none of my audio comes across at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Aces&Eights

I have been looking into this. You won't find many responses from Adobe when someone posts an audio issue on iPad, at least it's something I have noticed beyond suggesting turning the mute button on. If you watch this, http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2012/04/captivate-training-best-pract ices-for-creating-html5-courses-using-adobe-captivate-5-5-and-html5-co nverter.html, they bring someone in to talk about converting best practices, and he calls converted audio "iffy" at best with the current converter, and Dr. Pooja Jaisingh is there with him. In all fairness, I think it is just tricky when you convert and then test audio on an iPad, but it's something they will work out in due time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to MiHoll_ID

I have not had time to look at it since Friday. I am hoping to make some progress this week. We’ll see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to MiHoll_ID

I looked at the link you posted and found that if I used Google Chrome as opposed to Firefox the sound will come through pretty consistently in the HTML5 conversion. I have not yet been able to test on the iPad as group test iPad is not in the office today. I will let you know what I find upon testing. Thanks for the link.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to MiHoll_ID

ok. I have tested again on the ipad. Module started out with no sound, again. Once I got about 1/4 of the way through it the sound kicked in. I can rewind to the beginning of the module now and sound seems to work all the way through. However, the first second or so of each slides audio gets duplicated.

Subsequent attempts have been very hit or miss, mostly miss, on the sound coming though at all. Each time the sound does come through, I get the first second duplication and at some points it cuts off the last bit of each slide audio. Pretty frustrating....

Does this sound familiar to anyone. Any ways around it etc?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Aces&Eights

I don't have any answers for the inconsistency of audio playback, but I am going to have someone much more versed in java take a look at it and maybe provide some insight. Really, I have no idea.

If your getting consistent audio playback the second time through, great. I wish that was happening for me. I am getting about half of my 19 slides to play audio, and never the first or second slide.

I was having the audio repeat on each slide, but I was able to control it somewhat by manipulating the code. One way is to make sure your timeline in each slide of your Captivate file ends when the audio ends, and any object that is pausing the slide pauses within the audio timeline...... but what I found was happening is that the "pause" for each click box I have on each slide that keeps the module from automatically advancing to the next had a frame reference that was outside the frame area of the audio file....in the converted code.

if you get to the part in the html code of the converted file where it lists each slide and it's objects, check the frame reference for the audio against any object that pauses the slide....(below in bold):

in my example, the audio plays from frame 1 to 356, and then the click box pauses at 355, before I edited it, it was pausing at 359 (1 frame before the end of slide 1), causing the audio to start playing again.

Everyone's project is different, but this worked for me, and I hope it gives you some direction.

Slide0_mc' :

{  

id:'div_Slide0_mc',

topMostObjectInteractiveObject: 'Click_Box_1',

to: '360',  

modelDrawingItem: 'Slide0_mc-canvas',  

tocItemName: 'Slide0_mc_toc',

slideItems: 'Slide0_mc_Audio,Text_Caption_3,Text_Caption_1,Text_Caption_2,Click_B ox_1,Image_146',

numberOfResources:'1',

visited: 'false',

slideEnterAction: 'continue',

slideEnterArgs: '',

slideExitAction: '',

slideExitArgs: '',

divdata: "<div id='Slide0_mc' class='cp-frameset'  >                                 <canvas id='Slide0_mc-canvas' class='cp-shape shadow'></canvas>                       </div>  <div id='Slide0_mc_Audio' class='cp-frameset'><div id='Slide0_mc-canvas_Audio' class='cp-audio' style='display:none;'  ></div> </div>                          <div id='Text_Caption_3' class='cp-frameset'>                                            <canvas id='Text_Caption_3-canvas' class='cp-shape'></canvas>                                 </div>                            <div id='Text_Caption_1' class='cp-frameset'>                                            <canvas id='Text_Caption_1-canvas' class='cp-shape'></canvas>                                 </div>                            <div id='Text_Caption_2' class='cp-frameset'>                                            <canvas id='Text_Caption_2-canvas' class='cp-shape'></canvas>                                 </div>                            <div id='Click_Box_1' class='cp-frameset'   >                                            <canvas id='Click_Box_1-canvas' class='cp-shape'></canvas>                                 </div>                            <div id='Image_146' class='cp-frameset'>                                            <canvas id='Image_146-canvas' class='cp-shape'></canvas>                                 </div>  "

},    

'Slide0_mc-canvas' :  

{  

bounds: '0,0,800,600', 

shapeRenderer: frameset_mc_draw,

imagePath: 'DisplayResource/Slide0_mc/Slide0_mc.png',

divName: 'Slide0_mc',

visible: '1'

},

'Slide0_mc_Audio' : 

to: '356', 

modelDrawingItem: 'Slide0_mc-canvas_Audio', 

type: 'slide', 

}, 

'Slide0_mc-canvas_Audio': 

id: 'Slide0_mc_Audio', 

autoplay: 'autoplay', 

bounds: '0,0,1,1',  

srcMP3: 'AudioResource/Slide0_mc/Slide0_mc.mp3' 

} ,

'Text_Caption_3' :  

{  

to: '361', 

slideName: 'Slide0_mc', 

isRestOfProject: '0', 

modelDrawingItem: 'Text_Caption_3-canvas',

numberOfResources:'1'

},    

'Text_Caption_3-canvas' : 

bounds: '458,152,686,182',

imagePath: 'DisplayResource/Slide0_mc/SlideItemsDisplayResource/Text_Caption_3/T ext_Caption_3.png',

divName: 'Text_Caption_3',

} ,

'Text_Caption_1' :  

{  

modelDrawingItem: 'Text_Caption_1-canvas',

},    

'Text_Caption_1-canvas' : 

bounds: '424,210,782,354',

imagePath: 'DisplayResource/Slide0_mc/SlideItemsDisplayResource/Text_Caption_1/T ext_Caption_1.png',

divName: 'Text_Caption_1',

} ,

'Text_Caption_2' :  

{  

modelDrawingItem: 'Text_Caption_2-canvas',

},    

'Text_Caption_2-canvas' : 

bounds: '433,98,661,149',

imagePath: 'DisplayResource/Slide0_mc/SlideItemsDisplayResource/Text_Caption_2/T ext_Caption_2.png',

divName: 'Text_Caption_2',

} ,

'Click_Box_1' :  

{  

to: '360', 

modelDrawingItem: 'Click_Box_1-canvas',

numberOfResources:'1',

clickHandlerFunctionName: clickHandler ,

pauseAt: '355' ,