Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Change a PMS color to a specific set of CMYK values in a PDF?

Nov 22, 2011 11:58 AM

Tags: #color #pms #convert #spot #color_conversion

IS this possible? without the use of Pit stop?

Here is my dilemma, I want to take an existing pdf with one spot color and make it basically a registration color of 100% of each CMY and K. I can do this manually through Illustrator but to do this over a thousand times is MUCH to tedious.

Anyone know of any other options to do this?

some more details, I work for a specialty print shop and happen to have a 4c DI press. We are trying to get this one color spot job to image the cmyk outputs all at once BUT having different copy on each head/CMYK plate.

So far we can do it through Acrobat to postscript file to RIP BUT I think, because the original file is a PMS/spot its knocking out.

SO we tried through Illustrator which seems to work its just tedious, where we are trying to save time not add more.
Its a crazy work around but if we could get it to work would be great for this job.

Maybe my questions should be is there a way to force the process colors to over print?

WE tried it on the rip and its not working there either.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to agrant2776

1. Place PDF in InDesign

2. Make a new CMYK spot color, defined 100C 100M 100Y 100K

3. In Ink Manager, find spot color of the PDF in the list.

4. In the ink alias for this, pull down and select the spot color you created in step 2

5. Still in the Ink Manager - beside the spot color you created in step 2, click once on the spot icon on the left to change it to process

6. Output a new PDF from InDesign

Once you have the InDesign file set up, all the work is done for any future PDF files you place. InDesign simply takes the spot color in the original PDF (ie Pantone 293 C) and maps it to your 100 CMYK spot. The 100 CMYK spot is in turn forced to process by the ink manager (the ink manager can be accessed in the flyout in the swatches panel)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to Printer_Rick

I would bear in mind that the presence of any colour management transformation afterwards will defeat that (as it is quite unlikely you're going to fin an ICC with an 400% TAC).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points