Skip navigation
panauser
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?

Sep 30, 2011 10:50 AM

in known issues it says "The Importer only supports 8-bit frames. Frames with higher bit-depths are not supported".

i have ikonoskop camera which shoots 12bit CinemaDNG raw file. If i import these files to Premiere pro via CinemaDNG importer does it mean i can only work and export 8 bit????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to panauser

Yes, but it's not 8 bits of raw.

Premiere's import converts 12bit linear raw to 8-bit gamma encoded (typical video format), so it packs a dynamic range similar to 12-bit raw.

Lars

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to panauser

AE gives you more options to color grade overbrights.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to panauser

Pr is 8-bit gamma encoded.

Ae can be set to same or more bits, with many encoding options, partly thanks to color management options.

Lars

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2011 10:22 AM   in reply to panauser

Both apps process dng as 32-bit before converting to their working space.

Lars

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Lars Borg

Installed as documented.

Opened Premiere 5.5 and selected the first dng file. It imported fine. But, the remainder in the folder did not import as Adobe says they will.

SOLVED:

Looking at another post about the same problem I found one must --dahh -- import the FOLDER and then select the first DNG clip.

So is there any documentation on all the controls?

Message was edited by: d-v-c

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to d-v-c

Do you mean the rendering controls in the CinemaDNG dialog? They are a subset of the controls found in the Adobe CameraRAW dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 11:11 PM   in reply to Lars Borg

Lars you answer, "

Yes, but it's not 8 bits of raw. Premiere's import converts 12bit linear raw to 8-bit gamma encoded (typical video format), so it packs a dynamic range similar to 12-bit raw."

As I understand it -- DNG files can carry 12 or more stops of latitude. This wide DR range is often carried within linear 12-bits. I believe the DNG importer performs it's work in 32-bits. Is it 32-bit FP or simply long word 32-bit integer?

In either case, the data must become something else. In Pr, the output is converted to 8-bits. To fit the output into 8-bits, a gamma curve is applied.

This leads to a few Pr questions:

1) What is the gamma curve used by Pr? REC709 for HD?

2) Since "typical video formats" carry only about 5 stops -- without a Knee.

3) When a BlackMagic camera records 13-stops -- can this DR really faithfully be represented by the 8-bit gamma data used in Pr?

4) When I render to get a normal speed playback, what HD codec is used by Pr?

5) Does it use the same gamma curve?

6) When I export from Pr -- say to ProRes 12-bit RGB 4444 -- does Pr use the 8-bit converted DNG (and 8-bit renders) or does it go back to DNG images?

In AE, the output can be to ProRes 12-bit RGB 4444. Clearly the 4096 levels from the DNG file get moved to ProRes. But, does the ProRes spec allow 13-stops the wat the CIE spec used by DNG does?

Lastly, when the DNG importer makes image modifications -- where are the change parameters saved? Within the first DNG file? Within ALL DNG files? Within AE or Pr Project?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points