Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't burn a DVD, can you help me?

Nov 26, 2011 12:42 PM

Tags: #problem #help #dvd #burn #premiere_elements_8

I have Premiere Elements 8.0.1 and I continually have problems burning DVDs.  It stops about 96% with an unknown error.  When this happens, it frequently freezes my computer.  It used to happen every so often.  Now happens all the time. Can you help?  Is there an upgrade to Elements 10 or do I have to buy Elements 10.  Is it worth it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to lilthea

Are you able to burn to a folder on your hard drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to lilthea

If you can write a folder to your hard drive, use the free Imgburn (search the forum) to then burn that folder to disc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:49 PM   in reply to lilthea

There are many reasons why this might be happening some of which are -

A. You might be trying to burn at a speed too fast for the blank disk spec. The resulting pits aren't deep enough to read reliably on all players.

B. Your burner laser might be getting a little weaker with age and use so you cant even burn at rated speed (so do it slower)

C. The program you are using might be doing a bad job of trying to determine the appropriate speed for the blank disk you have inserted. Eg PE9 wont burn 4x BD disks on an 8x burner properly. Burning starts at the inside of the disk where the velocity is slower but fails as it gets faster nearer the edge even though burners are is supposed to slow down there.

The proof of the above A,B & C is to burn at half the recommended disk speed Eg. burn 4x disks at 2x and see if this is any better. If your version of PE can't do this, share to a folder image then use ImgBurn to burn at a slower speed as suggested by others.

B. Some brands of blank disk are much better and easier to burn than others (Verbatim are very good)

C. You computer might be low in disk space needed for the burning buffer or it might need defragging first so the available space is not fragmented. Make sure you have at least 5gb free

D. You might have a dodgy computer RAM chip or video card. Do you sometimes get oither programs freezing unexpectedly as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2011 3:59 PM   in reply to lilthea

Incidently for standard DVDs, I always save to a folder then use Nero to make the DVD from the VideoTS file that PE generates so Nero is making all the DVD image stuff,

Even though the burner is capable of much faster, I set the speed at the recommended speed of the disk. With Nero you can do this very easily.

You get all the menus you produced with pe OK

PowerDVD also has DVD making program that will make a DVD from a single file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 4:32 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

I used to get disk problems with earlier version of PRE. In my case it was PRE not recognising the drive at all. A reinstall corrected this, but it's so tedious. I switched to always using 'Save to File' and burning with ImgBurn at 4x speed.

Sounds like you have a similar workaround, so my recommendation would be 'don't lose sleep over it' - stick with your Nero burning solution.

Concerning PRE10, download the trial and see how it works out for you (you do NOT need to uninstall your PRE9).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:04 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

I am also having problems burning DVD's.

I have a 82 minute 1080i HD Slide Show Video I want to burn and cannot get it to complete.  The failure seems to occur when the actual burn begins but I am not sure that is when it occurs.

Premiere Elements 9 on Win 7 Pro running on a Lenovo W520.

If I burn to a hard drive file, can I use NCH Express Burn to burn the DVD?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to MGW of Boulder

Your problem is likely that your photos are larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.

If you'll work your way through our troubleshooting steps and post your results for each step in as much detail as possible, we'll likely be able to diagnose where your problem is occurring.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 3:24 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I was able to "burn to disk" rather than directly to a DVD.  However, my DVD Burner (NCH Express Burn) does not think that is a vido folder.

Premiere Elements 9, Win 7 Pro, Lenovo W520 

over 200 GB freespace on my harddrive

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 3:51 PM   in reply to MGW of Boulder

Use the excellent and free ImgBurn setting burn speed at no more than x4. It knows all about DVD Video folders and will even prompt you if you neglect to enter a title for the DVD.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 5:25 PM   in reply to nealeh

The folder output from Premiere Elements does not appear to be a Video Disk Image File.  I always end up getting a Data DVD as opposed to a Video DVD.

What am I doing wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:57 PM   in reply to MGW of Boulder

It's hard to say, since you don't say what you are doing.

To burn a DVD from your files, you must burn the VIDEO_TS folder (with the files inside it) to a disc. It must be a folder or your DVD player won't recognize it as a playable DVD.

ImgBurn, which Neale recommends, will always burn a playable DVD of this folder. Some software, like Nero, allow you to set whether the disc is playable or data.

But if you don't have the option, then burning the VIDEO_TS folder, with the .vob files inside it, to a disc will produce a playable DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 12:48 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Thanks, that answered my question.  I was one folder high in the file structure.  When I moved down to the VIDEO_TS folder ImgBurn worked.

I now believe my problem with burning the DVD directly with Premiere Elements has to do with my hardware.  My Laptop DVD Drive may not wake up fast enough to keep Premiere happy.  This actually results in a “Blue Screen” failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 4:22 AM   in reply to lilthea

In the Share tab select Disc:

1.png

In the next screen choose Folder from the first drop down field 'Burn to:' and select the location for the VIDEO_TS folder :

2.png

In ImageBurn select the 'Write files/folder to disc' and in the subsequent dialogs select your VIDEO_TS folder:

3.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 5:07 PM   in reply to MGW of Boulder

Though it appears that things have been solved, it might be useful to explore the Burn to Folder option in PrE.

There are two common ways to burn to a folder. The PrE variation will burn a VIDEO_TS folder with the necessary IFO, BUP and VOB files, plus the Open DVD folder, which is not used. Then, there is an "Image File," or ISO, which contains the VIDEO_TS folder plus necessary files, BUT they are wrapped into an ISO file, sort of a "ZIPPED," or archived single file, containing the VIDEO_TS folder and files, all in the ISO. Some authoring programs, like Adobe Encore, can do either. Also, ImgBurn can create an ISO from the VIDEO_TS folder. The ISO's can be useful for "wrapping" everything into one file. However, not all players can handle ISO files. VLC Player, and some others, can. Also, there are several "mounting" software programs, that will allow other software players to handle the ISO files, like they were just the VIDEO_TS folder and files. Similar, but with some differences, and those should be noted.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 2:54 AM   in reply to lilthea

Similar problems occur when you try to burn a Blue Ray disk fro PE (you cant change that speed either)

In get the impression very few users of this forum actually use Blue Ray yet but I would like to hear from anyone else exactly how they share a Blue RAY EDITED FILE to disk and burn with another program as is suggested in the above posts for DVD.

I have found that a BD burnt in PE9 plays on some players but not in others, whereras the same m2ts edited material burnt in PowerProducer plays on all players.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to lilthea

Hi,

"Unknown error" on mac is because of burner issue(internal burner).

You can try this with another burner.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points