Skip navigation
RuudG
Currently Being Moderated

reduce pdf size by reusing eps

Jul 6, 2011 6:24 AM

hi group,

I have a problem concerning the size of a PDF document. On each page, my company logo is included. When the number of pages is large, this results in PDF files that are very big.

The PDF's are created from a postscript file. In the postscriptfile, the EPS with the company logo is simply included in the content of each page. I managed to reduce the postscript size by defining the eps in the document setup once and reusing it on each page.

But to my disappointment, after distilling the reduced size postscript files, the resulting PDF appeared to have approximately the same size.

To test it, I created a document test.ps, with 13 pages and the same document in which I reuse the EPS logo, testuit.ps.

After converting it to PDF, the sizes are:

-rw-rw-r--   1 rdgon    rdgon     981718 Jul  6 14:45 test.pdf
-rw-------   1 rdgon    rdgon    5044065 Jul  6 14:45 test.ps
-rw-rw-r--   1 rdgon    rdgon     981500 Jul  6 14:46 testuit.pdf
-rw-r--r--   1 rdgon    rdgon    1290606 Jul  6 14:45 testuit.ps

The postscript size is reduced by 3.6 Mbyte, but the PDF size is the same. Can anyone explain this? Is there an option to the distiller that reduces the PDF size as well?

thanks in advance, Ruud

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to RuudG

PDFs each page is independent of the others, you will not reduce the size of a pdf by doing what you are saying. Questions about Distiller and Acrobat belong in the Acrobat forum. This forum is for Distiller Server. You might try to include the logo as a watermark.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 3:42 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Michael,

You are wrong... if a pdf document has an image that is repeated in every page then the pdf store it once and call it every time that has to be presented.

Of course this is depended from the method the pdf created. As I  know when you use the acrobat professional to create a pdf then it happens (for example if we have an access report with an image and the produced document has 1000 pages then print with acrobat pro driver).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to RuudG

So you didn't get your answer yet lol

I also wanna ask that is it possible that i could make a complete pdf file of my site: http://www.disneyinn.com/? Becoz i wanna promote its affiliate program in quiz topic so i will send this pdf file after this.

please let me know...thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 3:22 AM   in reply to DisneyInn

I also wanna ask that is it possible that i could make a complete pdf file of my site: http://www.disneyinn.com/?

Not possible with Acrobat Distiller Server.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points