Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

what type of image to use

Nov 17, 2011 9:21 AM

as an ardent photographer most of my images are taken in RAW. The Last time I tried to start the Tutorial Builder with a RAW file it took approx 30min to change to a PNG.

Is there a maximum size of file that the program will work with, should that initial input be in RAW, PSD or JPG!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2011 1:09 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

ACR processing steps are saved within Tutorial Builder, but not shown... so here TB IMHO is pretty useless.

As long the PNGs will be created with the same dimensions as the image you used, I would take a PSD with 1.204 or 1.500 px on the longest side.

This should be good enough even for a presentation via beamer.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Dose this mean that one should reduce the size of the picture prior to using tutorial builder?

That was the idea behind my posting, yes. The resulting PNGs would be quiet large;  at about +50MB each.

As said, those who will watch the tutorial, won't see ACRs processing steps anyway, even when they are in the generated html code.

So better start with a smaller PSD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2011 1:43 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

as all if not photographers shoot in RAW (cr2) and if they wish to show there students how to achieve good results then changing RAW to psd loooses a valuable step in the whole procedure.

I know but as said, these steps are recorded but no one can see what was done - they only see how the result is looking when the image opens in PS.

What size of PSD file would you suggest?

As said 1.024 or 1.500px on the longest side should do fine.

Or larger - but you better make some test.  Seems your computer is a bit week.

Saying so because it takes mine 15sec to generate and save a PNG from a 5 layered PSD at 4.752x 3.168px (manual when do a "Save As", as well when it was done by TB)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2011 10:25 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

my PC has 4GB mememory, 2 scratch discs wich total 1TB win 7 cs5Extended which should be enough ?

In the beginning you said it takes 30 minutes to create ("change" to) the PNG. That is far to long. I made a second test on my weaker machine (4GB, 64bit W7, 32bit CS5) and here it takes 29 sec in 4.752x3.168px

I have tried and failed to be able to compress the file to approx 12kb which seems to be the requirement for html

There is no need for using such small image sizes. A resulting PNG size of 2-5 MB for the Before/After image is reasonable (instead of 25 or +50 MB).

2.8 MB for the PNG is what I get when working with a 1.500px image - which takes 2.9sec to save here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2011 1:16 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

any suggestions on what i am doing wrong or where my system is failing to record the info.

The infos are recorded in a ScriptingListener-logs.

Check if the ScriptingListener is installed correctly on your system - if in doubt reinstall. Also check the other threads about ScriptListener in this Forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2011 1:20 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Hi Alexander,

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Can you describe how  you want to use Tutorial Builder? Are you using it in a classroom? Are you planning to post the tutorials on the Web? What kinds of workflows are you recording and trying to create as tutorials?

Thanks!

Mira

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to alexanderdavid

Hi Alexander. 

Just to clarify, were you able to eventually view the two HTML documents generated for the first two test tutorials that you tried?  In other words, after you received the IE9 error, did you go ahead and say "OK" to allow blocked content?  I'm just curious whether or not these simple tests actually produced correct tutorials in the end.

For the tutorials where the generated HTML document is zero KB, could you check the following?  There should be a ScriptingListenerJS.log file in the same directory as the "html" folder generated by Tutorial Builder (that is, the ScriptingListenerJS.log file is one directory up from the HTML document).  Can you check whether the size of that log file is zero?

w

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points