Skip navigation
Jack_Bauer998
Currently Being Moderated

Best Quality Export From Final Cut Pro Into After Effects?

Nov 25, 2011 1:48 PM

So I converted all my footage into Apple Pro Res 422 (24 p, 1280 x 720) for use in FCP and want to export edited parts into After Effects. What is the best quality export to bring into After Effects and also export from After Effects back into FCP?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 25, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to Jack_Bauer998

Depending on your storage and what you're up to with your footage I'd recommend uncompressed. Large files but you won't loose any quality. Animation is also lossless if you want to compress your footage. If your drives are not fast enough, go for ProRes HQ from FCP to AE, and Animation the way back...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2011 8:34 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

If disk space is critical and you're exporting movies from FCP you can export a reference movie using the sequence settings, open that in AE, and then you're working with the original footage in AE.

AE will not render Reference movies so the best option going back is either matching the codec used in FCP or ProRez. If you need Alpha channels then Prorez 444.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 8:06 AM   in reply to zikade

zikade wrote:

Depending on your storage and what you're up to with your footage I'd recommend uncompressed. Large files but you won't loose any quality. Animation is also lossless if you want to compress your footage. If your drives are not fast enough, go for ProRes HQ from FCP to AE, and Animation the way back...

Since you've converted to 422, stick with that. You cannot gain anything by exporting from FCP to a codec that has a higher bandwidth such as PRHQ or Animation. You just don't want to go down.

Rendering out of After Effects going back to FCP jsut use the same base codec. Again, you will gain nothing by using a higher quality codec. However, you may want to use PR4444 or even Animation if you must have an alpha channel. PR4444 uses trillions of colors and you will get an interesting warning when you try to render to it. You can dismiss the warning.

PR4444 has the distinct advantage of being realtime in FCP7 and X. Animation requires rendering back in teh FCP timeline.

bogiesan

|
    Mark as:
  • marian.ene
    85 posts
    Feb 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2011 4:29 AM   in reply to Jack_Bauer998

You can also export your FCP timeline as XML and import it in AE with Audomatick Duck (http://automaticduck.com/products/piae/), so you'll get your FCP timeline in AE as layers, with those layers pointing to your FCP sources. Therefore, no conversion involved.

For AE to FCP, you could use either uncompressed or ProRes at best quality, as I know FCP converts all the footage to ProRes anyway

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 7:35 AM   in reply to marian.ene

Automatic Duck.

Good call, and, for those who may have been on another planet for the last year, several of the AutomaticDuck products are free—unsupported and orphaned because AD is no longer in bsiness, but they're free.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points