Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player Debug Issues - Safari 5.1 & Chrome 13

Jul 25, 2011 6:08 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has come upon this problem as yet. Input into text input fields seems to be broken with Safari v5.1 and Chrome v13. Has anyone discovered a workaround to this if they have other than using a different browser?

The problem is only with the debug version. The regular version of flash player has no issues.

Reference Links:

1. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191466?start=0&tstart=0

2. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=85987

3. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.openlaszlo.devel/28034

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2011 12:15 AM   in reply to F.Bowman

Someone else says the 10.3 debugger player is required.  Have you tried it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 10:24 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

I have the same problem that F.Bowman has reported.

I was initially running Safari 5.0.x with the debugger version of Flash Player (10.3.181.26) and was not having any problems.

I installed Safari 5.1 and text input fields in my Flex app would no longer accept keyboard input. I downloaded and installed the latest debug version (10.3.181.34) but it has the same problem. So I downloaded and installed the latest non-debug version of Flash Player (also 10.3.181.34) and the problem went away.

A re-install of the debug version brings the problem back in Safari 5.1.

So for the time being I've had to switch to Firefox in order to debug my Flex apps.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to hermasj

I have reported the problem to the Flash Player team.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to Flex harUI

Thank you indeed, Alex.

Would you, please, also mention that similar problem exists with reverting from handCursor to normal cursor for any control that implements 'buttonMode=true'.

I posted about this a few days ago: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/882394?tstart=180

And this one shows up in both versions of FP when in Safari 5.1.

Thanks,

Igor Borodin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2011 11:57 AM   in reply to FTQuest

I have reproduced the problem and will report it to the player team.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to F.Bowman

as info on the apple.com link suggests, switching the User Agent (under Developer menu) to Firefox also fixes the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 7:38 AM   in reply to macandrew

macandrew wrote:

as info on the apple.com link suggests, switching the User Agent (under Developer menu) to Firefox also fixes the problem

Not necessarily, at least in my case, as my own reply in the Apple discussion (Steve Herman1) points out...

For me, changing the user agent in Safari to be Firefox does allow me to enter text into text boxes... but I still can't debug my app. None of my breakpoints are ever triggered.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 9:59 AM   in reply to F.Bowman

The hand cursor for buttons still doesn't work with Safari 5.1 and the Flash Player (debugger and regular).

I'm running the MAC 11,0,1,152 versions and no hand cursor. I don't know if this is a Safari issue or a Flash Player issue. I've tried to force it on movieclips with useHandCursor, but no luck. Also doesn't matter if the object is an actual button or movieclip with buttonMode set to true, neither give a hand cursor.

Dave

UPDATE: Now today the mouse cursor is there, same test files. I don't think I restarted my iMac or anything. I may try that next time I notice the hand cursor not working. I'm almost sure I've quit Safari at the least I've cleared the cache a few dozen times. That's a weird bug.

Message was edited by: Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 4:40 AM   in reply to k-yo!

I'm crazy obsessed about getting the finger . I mean the hand cursor.

So, it went away again in Safari and seems to show up working every once and a while. For a day or 2 it wasn't working and just now the hand cursor started working after I caused a Actionscript error message to display, just a TypeError. Next time I loose the hand cursor I'm going to throw an AS error, pop that window then see if the hand cursor comes back.

UPDATE: I discovered that when the hand cursor goes away in Safari (5.1), which I'm not sure why that happens, you can bring it back by causing the FP Debugger to throw an error. If you've come here because you've lost the hand cursor try this link, which will throw an error, then try refreshing your browser window that has the missing hand cursor Flash piece:

http://workalicious.com/safari_debug.html

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 12:25 PM   in reply to k-yo!

On Safari, after a file reference dialog hung up, I had to force quit Safari and the Flash Player Debugger. After that my hand cursor was gone from all Flash content on Safari, buttonMode=true would still work on standalone SWFs. Strangely enough, when I launched the SWF on Safari that had caused the hang up initially (after the result of which was the hand cursor disappearing) and opened that file reference dialog again - this time successfully without crashing the plugin - the hand cursor came back. It is now working on Safari in all Flash content.

Safari 5.1.1 (7534.51.22)

Flash Player Debug 11,1,102,55

OS X 10.7.2

Valtteri

PS: Dave, I can definitely relate to your frustration: for the five minutes that my hand cursor didn't work, I started getting really pissed off really fast too... =)

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The hand-cursor-not-appearing -problem will resurface with each new session of Safari, ie. if I quit/relaunch Safari, the hand cursor will not appear. If I open a FileReference dialog or visit the URL Dave listed, the hand cursor appears and works for the remainder of the Safari session. Then on Safari quit/relaunch, no hand cursor again until the aforementioned steps are taken. Here's some info:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3970053#3970053

Thanks for reporting this problem to us. This is a known issue in Safari 5.1+ running with 64bit mode. We are working together with Apple to fix the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience that brings to you. As a workaround, you can run Safari 5.1+ in 62 bit mode.

1. Go to /Applications

2. Find Safari->RightClick->Get Info->Check 'Run in 32-bit Mode' check box.

3. Relaunch Safari 5.1 again.

The mouse cursor should work fine this time.

Just let me know if you have any furthre questions.

This workaround works for me as well. However, it is just a workaround and as such, not a real solution. Anybody got a solution for running Safari in 64-bit mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to F.Bowman

Subscribed for a final solution to this issue. Currently running in 32bit mode as a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to bmonnone

Flash Player 11.2 r202.233

Mac OS X 10.7.3 / Safari 5.1.5

When running Safari in 64-bit mode the hand pointer does not appear over links.

An 'known' issue for months now.

Is Apple obstructing Adobe or is Adobe starting Flash euthanasia already?

Or did I miss the solution?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points