Skip navigation
lfdiaz
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to Remove plug-in using Extension Manager

Jun 17, 2011 5:06 AM

I have installed my plug-ins into InDesign CS5 using the Extension Manager CS5, the installation is successful. When I select my plug-in entry in the list of installed plug-ins and then click on the Remove button, the Extension Manager displays a progress bar and the line disappears from the list but the plug-in sits there in the Plug-Ins folder untouched!

What's going on? How do I make sure that the plug-in is removed/uninstalled? Is there a log file for errors from the Extension Manager?

Thanks a lot.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2011 12:14 AM   in reply to lfdiaz

Which extension are you removing? Extension Manager doesn't really remove some extensions (plug-ins) if special attribute is specified in extension. This feature is used to support multi-user environment.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 4:51 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

How does one remove an extension for any and all users on a system?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 5:09 PM   in reply to XRX_ID_user

If you remove an ordinary extension from Extension Manager, it will be removed for all users on a system. But for InDesign extension, if plugin-manager-type="all-users" or plugin-manager-type="current-user" is specified in its mxi file, Extension Manager will not really remove it from system, instead Extension Manager adds an entry to PlugInConfig.txt of InDesign so that InDesign will not load this extension at runtime.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 4:35 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

Is there a way to really remove the plugin and associated resource files, such that neither InDesign or the Extension Manager have any memory of them?  Is there a reason InDesign extensions are not 'ordinary' and don't get removed for all users?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 4:44 PM   in reply to XRX_ID_user

Is your extension a mxp file or zxp file? Does it contain plugin-manager-type attribute? If No, could you please provide this extension so that I can check it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 5:01 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

It is a zxp file, and it does contain a plugin-manager-type attribute.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 5:05 PM   in reply to lfdiaz

You can simply remove plugin-manager-type="all-users" and enabled-for-enabled-all="true" from the mxi file then re-create this extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 5:16 PM   in reply to XRX_ID_user

If you are the developer of this extension, you can remove plugin-manager-type attribute, then it will be an ordinary extension and can be really removed from machine. If you cannot modify this extension, Extension Manager doesn't provide a way to really remove it, this behavior is as per requirement of InDesign team.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 2:31 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

It works for me, too!

I would ask that someone update the documentation to help future users.

Thanks for the quick answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 2:25 AM   in reply to XRX_ID_user

Hi Carl,

I am having same problem for quite some time. I tried to remove the extension from Extension Manager from both InDeisgn CS6 and CC but it still shows when I fire the application.

I am the developer of the extension and its a zxp file. I do not see both the tags you mentioned ( plugin-manager-type and enabled-for-enabled-all ) in my mxi file. I still cannot remove the extension from InDesign. As I develop, I do 'run as' and 'debug as' many times. I looked around on forums and found that I needed to remove extension from folder:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions/

And I did empty this folder but no luck.

I also do not know what is the corresponding location for extensions in InDesign CC.

Any help is much appreciated. No clue what am I doing wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 2:54 AM   in reply to Swati999

According to your description, the problem is different from that of previous users. For them, the extension is no longer shown in EM after removal but the actual files are untouched. For you, the extension is still shown in EM. Is it correct? Have you seen any messages when you removed it?

The corresponding location for the extension depends on which type it is (Mxi-based ordinary extension or CSXS extension) and how you specify destination attribute in the mxi file if it is an ordinary extension. The path tokens which can be used in destination attribute can be found at http://www.adobe.com/go/em_file_format (for CS6) or http://www.adobe.com/go/em_cc_MXItechnote (for CC).

You can send your extension to exman.beijing@gmail.com so that we can check it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 3:45 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Thanks for the reply, Carl. And sorry for being unclear.

I am having same problem as previous users. The extension is removed from the list in EM  when I click 'Remove', but the extension still shows when I fire InDesign. I have sent you an email with my extension attached.

Here is my problem in brief:

I installed the extension via Extension Manager. Later, as I was developing, did 'Debug As' and 'Run As' multiple times with both InDesign CS6 and CC. Now, I want to remove the extension from InDesign CS6 and CC both. So, I quit InDesign, fire Extension Manager (CS6 and CC both, one at a time), 'Remove' the extension (and the extension is removed from the list in EM), fire InDesign again and under Windows > Extensions, I still see my extension listed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 11:47 PM   in reply to Swati999

Adobe products load CSXS extensions from two locations: One is per-machine location ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions" / "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEPServiceManager4\extensions" on Windows or "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" / "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions" on Mac); another is per-user location ("C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensi ons" / "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CEPServiceManager4\extensi ons" on Windows or "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" / "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions" on Mac). CEPServiceManager4 is for CC.

Extension Manager installs CSXS extensions to the per-machine location and removes them from that. When you debug your extension in Extension Builder, Extension Builder will copy it to per-user location. Although you have removed it from per-machine location, InDesign still loads it from per-user location. So please delete it from "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" and "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 3:00 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Kudos.

Thanks so much, Carl. This is exactly what I was looking for. It solved my problem after days of banging my head against wall.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 7:51 AM   in reply to Swati999

Does this mean one needs to dump everything in ""/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" and "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions".?

TNX,

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 8:38 AM   in reply to camelbreath

No, you do not dump anything there. If you have the extension build ready that you wish to install on any Adobe product (like Photoshop or InDesign), you can install it via ExtensionManager and it goes to per-machine location (/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" and "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions") (refer to Carl's answer).

If you are a developer and working on developing the extension using ExtensionBuilder, and when you run the extension from within ExtensionBuilder via 'Run As' or 'Debug As' command, it goes to per-user location (/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions" and "/Users/<UserName>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEPServiceManager4/extensions).

Although you can delete stuff from these folders to clear the cache or if the extension is not removed properly by ExtensionManager.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2014 5:42 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

Can you spell this out for dummies? Where do I find the mxi file? I am trying to remove the FlexiForm extension and the remove button, disable function do nothing at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2014 12:47 AM   in reply to INTOWILD

You can change the file extension from "zxp" to "zip", then unzip it with any of unzip tools. If it is an ordinary extension, you will find the mxi file in the root folder. Otherwise it is a CSXS extension, you can find manifest.xml in CSXS subfolder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points