Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can you lock the position of a pic within the text?

Nov 29, 2011 3:29 PM

I'm working on a book with lots of pictures. After I place them, is there a way to lock their position in the text? The problem I'm having is that when I add more pages to the beginning of the book, the text rolls over to the next page but the pictures don't. They all need to be moved manually. Thanks!

indesign question.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to 123proust

Yes. It's called and Anchored Object and you can read about it in the Help files.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 6:27 AM   in reply to 123proust

just cut your picture and paste it in the text where you want it.  Just place the cursor in the text and paste the picture. Then you have a Anchored Object in the text that is moving when you move text arround. Very easy and fast.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 6:53 AM   in reply to Colin@adobeOnline

No you don’t…you have an inline object.

You’d need to right click that object to set the anchored object properties.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to Colin@adobeOnline

Working with anchored objects has changed radically with CS5.5, which is one of the reasons I suggested the help files. If you have CS 5.5 you can drag the blue "adornment" on the frame to where you want it anchored. It's also not quite as simple as cut and paste, because you need to decide if the objects should be an inline/above line anchored oject, or custom positioned, and in this case I think custom is the correct choice. It also will need text wrap applied.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 11:16 AM   in reply to 123proust

Text wrap with anchored objects is a bit different than with free-position objects. For an inline or above line object, applied wrap affects only text from the anchor position onward, or in other frames. For Custom positioned objects, such as the ones you are using, the wrap affects only text in the lines following the anchor point, or in other frames. Positioning objects near the bottom of a frame can be problematic as well. That said, there is just no other way to lock an image to a particular point in the text.

One thing you can do that may help, since it looks as if all of your images could be anchored at the beginning of a paragraph, is to create an object style, or several object styles, that include the custom anchored positions as part of the definition. That would allow you to assign the object style with a single click and you won't have to keep opening the Anchored Object Options dialog each time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points