Skip navigation
cocopalma
Currently Being Moderated

Continuing failure to install Kindle plug in

Nov 28, 2011 3:27 PM

Tags: #adobe #for #kindle #plugin #indesign_cs5.5

I have downloaded it 3x, and attemped to install it 3x. Each attempt ends with failure and advice to contact the software manufacturer.

Any ideas?

Thank youl

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 29, 2011 12:44 AM   in reply to cocopalma

Version of InDesign and version of the Kindle plugin?

Screenshot of the installer error?

Operating system?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2011 3:01 AM   in reply to cocopalma

cocopalma wrote:

... advice to contact the software manufacturer.

So what did they say? Surely not "ask someone at the Adobe forum"?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 4:45 PM   in reply to cocopalma

Attachments are diabled. You need to embed screen shots intothe post uing the camera icon onthe web page:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 30, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to cocopalma

What's your source on that?

I'm pretty sure I've used and installed the Kindle plugin on a Mac, not sure if it was CS5 or CS5.5.

It was just for a quick test, not for real work, so I don't have any experience to share. But it installed...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 10:10 AM   in reply to cocopalma

There's definitely a Mac version of the Kindle plug-in because I installed it, probably on CS5. But perhaps you downloaded the wrong version.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to cocopalma

Amazon's Kindle plug-in definitely works on Mac OS X 10.6.8. You have to follow the instructions that Amazon provide for downloading their code-signing certificate and installing it first, or the plug-in installation will fail.

If you have InD CS5.5, it probably isn't worth it, though, The Amazon plug-in only offers the options that were available for epub export in CS5. I had more success exporting epub from InDesign, so I got to use the more powerful new options, and then opening the epub in Kindle Previewer, which you can also download from Amazon. It's mostly for getting an idea how the book will look on Kindle devices, but in the process it translates the epub to .mobi, which you can then send to Amazon when you're ready to publish your Kindle book.

I did have to crack open the epub and edit the CSS and one of the XML files to get anything remotely acceptable.

If your layout is anything but a simple text flow with some anchored images, you will probably find the Kindle version disappointing. I'm waiting for the new Kindle8 tools to be available before trying anything ambitious.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to cocopalma

yes, the kindle previewer shows you what it will look like in an original kindle (horrid), kindle dx and the kindle apps for iphone and ipad. it also gives you the option of opening the book in the mac kindle viewer if you've installed that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points