• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FMS 4.5 Installation Help (libcap not found)

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to install FMS 4.5 on Fedora 15 x64 server. I have downloaded the fms 4.5 development server and extracted the files.

Now, when I type the command:

./installFMS

I get an error message that says:

ERROR: A required package, libcap, was not found on your Linux x86_64 RedHat.

Please install required package and run Adobe Flash Media Server installer again.

However, when I try to install this package using the following command:

yum -y install libcap

I get a message saying that it is already installed:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

* fedora: ftp.nluug.nl

* updates: ftp.nluug.nl

Setting up Install Process

Package libcap-2.22-1.fc15.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Nothing to do

So I am not sure how to solve this... FMS cannot see this lib for some reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Barjawi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Thank you Nikhil for your reply.

After further investigations, it seems that Fedora is not a good platform to run FMS on. That is the problem here!!

Fedora was working fine for me when I used FMS 3.5.1, but any other later versions don't work (as explained above).

Even Fedora runs FMS 4.0, but not any of its updates.

Lastly Fedora x64 doesn't run FMS 4.5 at all (as explained above).

When I switched to CentOS 5.7, everything worked like charm, from the first time, without any troubles what so ever.

I a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And can someone please tell me whats the difference bewteen:

Flash Media Server 4.5

and

Flash Media Gateway 4.5

as the documentation doesn't say the difference.

After trying to install FMS 4.5 by using ./installFMS found inside the extracted tar files, I found a file named:

FlashMediaGateway4.5_x64.sh

just right next to the tar file. Running the sh script started an installation process for Flash Media Gateway... but I am not sure.. is this the same as FMS 4.5?? should I install this one... or the FMS through ./installFMS ??!!

I wish the documentation was more clear about the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Flash Media Gateway is a sister product that's bundled with FMS. It provides SIP connectivity to flash applications.

More info @ http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Media_Gateway

FMS does not require FMG to be installed, it is optional for supporting SIP clients. More documentation is also present in the docs folder after FMG is installed.

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your libcap problem, may be the version of the libcap that's installed on your distro is to be updated ? I am not sure , but did you check that already ?

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever you untarred your FMS put a symlink libcap.so.1 linking to /lib64/libcap.so.2

after that try installing FMS again ,let us know the result too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies.

Nikhil,

Finally I understand what Flash Media Gateway is all about.. Thanks!

About the libcap's version... I am not a linux expert... but the message is clear from the output when I tried installing it (see full output above).. it says:

Package libcap-2.22-1.fc15.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Vivek,

Thats a good point...!

I have tried your suggestion and it worked (Yay!!)

however, I am facing some trouble which I am not sure if it is because of this hack or something else...

For some reason, the FMS server is not binding to port 80 and/or 1935...

I have the firewall off, and selinux set to permissive... I am binding the FMS to another IP address than the one used for httpd... so port 80 is 100% free...

not sure what the problem is...

I created the same setup that I had on a Fedora 15 x32 server using FMS 4.0... everything was and still working fine there.

I am getting error messages whenever I start or stop the FMS server... I never got any of them during installation... here they are in case anyone has a clue if they are related or not:

dmin server:fmsadmin command:start

./adminserver: command substitution: line 45: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'

./adminserver: command substitution: line 45: ` elif [ -f /etc/mandrake-release ] ; then'

sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown option to `s'

sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s'

sed: -e expression #1, char 14: unknown option to `s'

./adminserver: line 40: /etc/SUSE-release: No such file or directory

WARNING: Your Linux distribution, RedHat x86_64  is not supported by this

installer.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know about the progress.

Turn off SELinux also for a while, to see if that helps.

You might also want and edit the adminserver.sh and server.sh files to add your distro to the list of supported platforms so that fms will not bother you anymore. Check the fms 4.0 sh files, if you have already made any changes there too.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nikhil rightly suggested you will be required to modify the server.sh as well as adminserver.sh files and put up the uname of your machine wherever you find the distro list that I believe will be occurring once in each file (so not much work will be required ☺)

Thanks,

Vivek Gupta

Extn:36025

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your replies.

I am sorry I took a while to get back to you.

Here is a reminder of my situation:

I have Fedora 16 x64 installed on virtual machine (using VirtualBox).

I have installed some services (httpd, php, subversion)

I have installed FMS 4.5 but its not working properly.

At first, I didn't know how to modify the "server" and "adminserver" files... however, I found a post here by r.cira which helped me modify these files. After modification, I can restart FMS and FMS Admin without any warnings. However, my modifications were a bit different than his... this is what I did:

Inside "server", I searched for the term "RHEL5", and I got to the following line:

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL5-i686

under which I added the following line

cd_check "Fedora release 16 (Verne)" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL6-i686

Restarting FMS again gave me another warning (I forgot what it was... something like "unspported version"... anyways, I modified "server" again to override that warning... here is what I did:

I searched again for the term "RHEL5" and got to the following case statement:

case $DISTRO in

redhat-RHEL5-i686)

;;

Inside which I added the following:

redhat-RHEL6-i686)

;;

I did the same thing to "adminserver"... restarting both gave me no warnings.

Now, however, I am still at the same problem as before... that is... not sure why but it seems my FMS IS NOT running... but the FMS Admin IS running...

This is what I notice... when using the nmap command to see the ports that are bound to services... I can see:

1111/tcp open  lmsocialserver

but I cannot see the 1935 port at all... (Note: during installation, I have bound my FMS to the port 1935 alone... because the HTTP server is using port 80).

now... there is another thing that I noticed... and this is new. As I stated earlier, I have an older server that has FMS 3.5 on it... using nmap shows all ports bound successfully (1111 and 1935)... however, I recently found about the FMS upgrades from Adobe... so whenever I upgrade my server to any other version (other than the 3.5.1 that is already installed), I get the same symptom... FMS doesn't bind to port 1935, only FMS Admin connects to port 1111.

Not sure if thsoe are related... but I started to think maybe Adobe has changed something in terms of binding FMS to its ports (1935 in this example)...

Any ideas..?? thanks in advance... and sorry for the long post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the details.

the nmap log for 1111 that you mentioned above does not seem to be binding to fmsadmin, it says lmssocialserver ( i am not sure what it is), but it should be 'fmsadmin' if the admin server of FMS is bound to that port. So, you do not have the port available to be bound by the fms admin service.

There is no change that is made in FMS in terms of binding to ports. It depends on the port availability and how the different distro (of linux) take care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Nikhil for your reply.

After further investigations, it seems that Fedora is not a good platform to run FMS on. That is the problem here!!

Fedora was working fine for me when I used FMS 3.5.1, but any other later versions don't work (as explained above).

Even Fedora runs FMS 4.0, but not any of its updates.

Lastly Fedora x64 doesn't run FMS 4.5 at all (as explained above).

When I switched to CentOS 5.7, everything worked like charm, from the first time, without any troubles what so ever.

I am not a Linux expert... but I thought Fedora was based on Redhat... and I thought that all these different flavours of Linux are all built on the same infrastructure (almost)... so it sounded strange to me why it wouldn't work on Fedora but would on CentOs... It even sounded stranged why FMS 3.5.1 would work on Fedora but not FMS 3.5.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines