Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting indd to idml

Nov 30, 2011 4:43 AM

Tags: #cs5 #export #idml

Hello,

I'm a translator and am trying to convert an indd file to idml, so that it can be read by my CAT-tool (the text is send to the translation application, translated, and sent back to the idml file, at the same place in the same format. only the language has changed).

how do i do that? when i go to file => export => idml format (osx) all I get is a little file of 4 kb in size, while the indd original is 450 MB.

I need help and am grateful for it!

thanks in advance...

camembert

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2011 5:13 AM   in reply to camem_bert

CS4 or CS5 (.5)?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 5:23 AM   in reply to camem_bert

That sounds about right. .idml is really a zip archive of xml files, and is very compact. I don't know anything about the translation business, so I don't know if you need to expand the archive to work with the tool or not, but Joel Cherney, one of our semi-regulars is an expert inthe field and has been visible in the past couple of days, so there's a pretty good chance he'll see this later today and offer some further advice or ask for clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 5:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

yeah Ive noticed the significant file size reduction but never that small...(checked C5.5) havent checked with cs4 yet... (for decrease to such a small idml)

G

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 5:55 AM   in reply to Grant H

I’d be way more concerned about the INDD file size than the IDML size.

450 megs is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 6:44 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob Levine wrote:

I’d be way more concerned about the INDD file size than the IDML size.

450 megs is a disaster waiting to happen.

It would explain the tiny tiny IDML size. Images, remember, are not stored inside an IDML.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Methinks a “save as” would be the first order of business for the InDesign file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to camem_bert

We had an issue like this a while back where ID was crashing on the export.

First things first.

Do a file save as and get the file size of the ID file down and then try the IDML export again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 7:19 AM   in reply to camem_bert

Then try unzipping the .idml to be sure it really isn't damaged.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 7:52 AM   in reply to camem_bert

camem_bert wrote:

the idml is not zipped, it's normal.

ALL .idml files are really zip archives with the file extension changed. Whether or not yours is damaged or incomplete is still an open question. Please try making a copy of the .idml you have, change the extension to .zip and see if you can expand it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 9:35 AM   in reply to camem_bert

There is something seriously wrong here.

You say you saved as IDML…that is not possible. You can only export to IDML and that file size is very worrisome. Did you embed your graphics or link them?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to camem_bert

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2011 4:57 PM   in reply to camem_bert

Nothing about your question is really translation-tool-specific, it seems to me - but I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the process, and expand on industry-specific stuff if necessary.

i saved the file under another name

That's probably how you fixed it, you know, if it's not still broken. It's what Bob told you to do in post 8 - when you do a File -> Save As, the resultant file is supposed to be stripped of extraneous history & et cetera, bringing the file size down.

then saved the new file in the idml format

Well, I'm sure you mean exported (because you get to IDML via File -> Export, not File -> Save) but so long as you got an IDML out of it then it was a success, right?

it then it exploded to 877 MB.

As Bob implies, that is a very bad sign. IDML files are usually much smaller than INDDs. (If you go through the rename-extension-to-ZIP-and-unzip process, you'll see that inside the IDML are a bunch of XML files inside. Most of those describe the structure of the document, but inside the "Stories" folder you should find one XML file for each story in the INDD. Since it's all raw text (all of those XML files are raw text inside) then for an 877MB text file there is a truly insane amount of information. It's quite probably that something is wrong with your source file - and my hunch would be that you would discover that when you were done with the translation and were attempting to create the translated file. So, the fact that you can open up the IDML in your translation tool is, sorry, not good enough. If you can save and regenerate INDD, then you know that you're safe to start working on the translation.

I'm kind of curious about the file size of the source INDD after you resaved with a new name. Also, you should try to make a copy of the 877-meg IDML and see if you can reimport it into InDesign without translation. I suggest this because it's one of the best way to repair corrupted INDDs that we have, to export IDML and re-import and re-save as a new INDD. Also, if your IDML is so messed up that it is about a thousand times the ordinary size of an IDML, then it may be so messed up that you won't be able to re-import the IDML back into InDesign at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 9:55 AM   in reply to camem_bert

Are the images in the document possibly embedded rather than placed/linked? That would result in both ginormous INDD and IDML files.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Mary Posner

Good morning.

I have a similar problem. I have files from 40 mb and when I export in IDML format it needs12-15 hours for export.

Is it can reduce this time to export.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to mirkoscavo72

Something is wrong. Try doing a Save As to reduce the file size.

Are these vector-heavy files? Do they have a lot of pasted or embedded images? Is your machine under-powered or low on disk space?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes i just try to save as the file , it go to from 30 Mb to 25 Mb.

They are files with table, text and 30/40 linked images.

My machine have 270GB free space and Xeon processor and 6GB memory ram.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to mirkoscavo72

Was the file converted from a previous version? Did the Save As help with the time?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

No it made with Indesign CS5.5 and i try in this moment i start at 9.00 and it didn't end

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to mirkoscavo72

The only time I've seen anything even near this long for an export was a file with dozens of complex vector illustrations pasted into it. I suspect there must be file damage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points