Skip navigation
dutgrdutgr
Currently Being Moderated

Problem: Playhead cursor doesn't move, but audio still plays

Dec 1, 2011 10:04 AM

Using Audition 3.0.1 with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

In both edit mode and multitrack mode, using any kind of audio file, the playhead marker just remains where I place it.  I'm able to hear sound, but visually, nothing works - that is, the screen doesn't scroll either.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times with no change.  What could be causing this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2011 9:03 PM   in reply to dutgrdutgr

Same here, cursor not moving, what gives, worked great earlier this year. Please assist us, thanks, DR

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 2, 2011 1:56 AM   in reply to psongman

Very often, if everything else works fine, you'll find that something 'strange' has happened to your video card driver. Check to see if there's an update for it. Also it's not impossible that your Audition installation is corrupted - try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to dutgrdutgr

Hi, me again. I started with Cool Edt, then AA 1, 2 and 3, then stopped. Well, like I said earlier, it was working fine earlier this year, but I do use it in tandem with Reaper. Everything else seems to work except the bloody cursor moving, hmmmm, sorry for English cursing. There must be some fix, will try that 3.0 patch right now and get back to this thread. Thanks Steve for assisting, you have helped me many times in my past CD reincarnations, psongman

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to psongman

By the way, the Audition 301 patch doesn't install either. I am beginning to think it is Adobe that is acting up as everything else on my puter works fine...it is something to do with the way it plays back, I believe,  will check into it further, any insight appreciated, DR

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 2, 2011 12:43 PM   in reply to psongman

psongman wrote:

By the way, the Audition 301 patch doesn't install either. I am beginning to think it is Adobe that is acting up as everything else on my puter works fine...it is something to do with the way it plays back, I believe,  will check into it further, any insight appreciated, DR

So you have a patch that installs fine on everybody else's computer but doesn't on yours - which seems to have a video problem anyway - and it's Adobe's fault???

I'm sorry, but the indications really are that it's your machine that's causing the problem, otherwise loads of people would have reported the same installing problem, and they haven't. I can't tell you exactly what to look for, but any machine that won't install a straightforward patch has definitely got a problem somewhere...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 9:13 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Yes, I go through these scenarios about twice a year, where someone doesn't believe me, then finds out I was right on. One time, I had a little extra money and I flew a guy in from Canada who kept questioning me about some computer problem. I let him sit in this chair and go through the same steps and methods that I exclaimed, "did not work", and after about an hour or so, he goes, " OMG<everything you proclaimed, right down to the smallest detail was correct.

So, after I read this post, I redownloaded the AA 301 patch again and had a computer tech try to install it and it said something about an error, and setup would not continue. He also could not believe a simple patch would  be so hard to install. I updated my Nvidia drivers by the way. All is working editingwise, but like I mentionedk,sometimes the curson just decides to hang, oh well, must move on and get some more tracks laid down in Reaper, a much simpler, less intensive proggie, DR

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 4, 2011 2:59 AM   in reply to psongman

With the best will in the world, Adobe can't be expected to test every possible hardware and OS combination for compatibility before they release a patch.

But also with the best will in the world, saying 'it said something about an error' isn't exactly going to track down what's causing your problem either, is it? Please bear in mind that I said 'causing the problem', and that's exactly what I meant. It doesn't mean that your machine is inherently faulty, it simply means that for whatever reason, the patch and your machine are incompatible. To get beyond that, we would need to know a lot more about your machine, I think.

I don't know if you will be able to do this with the error generated by a patch install, but if you can, there's information about making a crash report in the FAQ's here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points