Skip navigation
Marek3DX
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS 5.1 - can't open or create files

Oct 20, 2011 12:09 PM

Hi,

I have Photoshop CS 5.1 32bit and 64bit (running on 64bit windows), and sometimes it happens so that I can't open files (jpg, psd, ...) in it. When I drag and drop a file to photoshop, or click on Open file dialog, or even try to make a new document, nothing happens.

I have tried tricks with deleting preferences, but it didn't help. The only thing that helps is restarting windows - but this is not a practical solution for me.

I would expect some help from Adobe on this, since we pay a lot for their products!

Thanks,

Marek

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 20, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to Marek3DX

Uh oh, sounds like a bit of a bad trend brewing...

See also:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/911210?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/912268?tstart=0

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2011 6:26 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yeah, there's got to be some common factor: utility, OS setting, driver, third party plugin, etc. that they've all changed recently.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 20, 2011 8:15 PM   in reply to Marek3DX

What antivirus software are you running, Marek?

Do you have any software installed that you can think of that augments or alters your access to your disk?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2011 10:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I bet it's more graphics related -- like opening the windows on another display, or a virtual display (like Apple's Spaces).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to Marek3DX

Same problem here!!!

It seems to work for a bit after logging in to Windows, then… Cannot open or create files, etc.

Windows 7 64-bit, Photoshop CS5.1 (64-bit)

3 GB RAM, infinite amount of hard drive space

Vanilla installation, tried turning GPU and pretty much everything off, resetting preferences, etc. everything that hasn't worked for anyone else either in the other forum threads.

ESET antivirus (turning it off didn't help)

WTF?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 26, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to sitnduck27

Everyone with this problem (who hasn't already posted the info):  Please list specifically what video card and driver version you have.  Also, please be specific about which version of Windows you're running.

I'm not sensing a pattern yet in what's been posted, other than CS5.1 being used, though there's missing info from a lot of folks.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to Marek3DX

This actually doesn't look like a video card issue. (opening a file, with OpenGL stuff off, has something to do with the video card???)

I have a GeForce 9400 GT (1 Gig Video RAM)

Driver date: 5/20/2011

Version: 8.17.12.7533

Windows 7 Professional 64bit English, Service Pack 1

CPU: Quad core i7

Memory: 3 Gb RAM

Antivirus/FW: ESET Smart Security

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 6:23 AM   in reply to Marek3DX

Is this being investigated? This is hurting our company's productivity!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 12:26 AM   in reply to sitnduck27

We have never seen this ourselves, or reproduced it in any way -- so there's not a whole lot we can do.

Most users don't have this problem.

So it's something about your machine, probably a driver, possibly a third party plugin or utility.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to Marek3DX

I also have had this problem for a while! And it's starting to get really annoying.

I work with photoshop on a daily basis and really starting to think if I should downgrade.

I never had this problem before my purchase of Photoshop CS 5.1.

It is really annoying that the technical team at Adobe is not taking this problem serious!

Check out this video I recorded it a few hours ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZOC5Vexr4Y

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 13, 2011 4:17 PM   in reply to Tarjep

Something seems very wrong with your computer / display in general, if everything is actually flashing up like that multiple times.  I see it when you click your start menu, so it's not a Photoshop issue.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 3:17 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel.

It really didn't flash like that when I was recording the video. It's probably not the best video, but if you can look past the flashing you can see how photoshop still doesn't work as it's supposed to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 5:07 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

For the record, that IS what is happening (minus the flickering which seems to be due to the recording). I never get past creating a new file or opening a file, so I can't say the other problems are happening.

It looks like the common thread is Windows 7 64-bit (my about box says CS5 12.1) so far. I've never seen this in any other program.

Thanks for looking into this, it looks like it IS happening to many people.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 14, 2011 8:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm not literally "looking into it" as I'm not with Adobe nor can I reproduce the problem (and I am running Windows 7 x64 on several machines).  I'm really trying to catalyze the conversation here to help lead to a discovery.

I think, since Adobe has said they've not been able to reproduce the problem, it falls on those seeing the problem to try to isolate it further.

If it were me, I'd download and run the freeware tool Autoruns, then disable the software that's starting that you don't know you need.  Perhaps you'll discover what it is that's getting in the way of normal Photoshop operation, and can share that information here for others to use.  I actually use this tool myself regularly to keep my system clean and lean.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 5:33 PM   in reply to Marek3DX

I was having the same exact problem.

I'm no expert on this but i think the problem is that the openGL in photoshop CS5 does not support my graphic card (NVIDIA quadro 1000M).  I just turned off the openGL and now my files open and i can create new files. 

Edit > Preferences > Performance

In GPU Settings uncheck "Enable OpenGL Drawing

Like I said I'm no expert and i'm not even sure this is the best way to fix the problem.  Someone please let me know if this is going to seriously compromise the performance of the program or if there is a reason that the openGL should be enabled.   

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 5:53 PM   in reply to jj00fab

Okay, i think i figured out the root to my problem.  But it might help you out too.

My problem was the external display that i had connected to my laptop.  When the display is not connect I don't have the openGL issues with photoshop.  When the display is connected I have to disable the openGL feature to be able to open and create files in photoshop.  Must have something to do the the display.  So i figured out how to fix the problem, but don't know how to explain the issue or the solution. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, please do so.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 8:53 PM   in reply to jj00fab

If the video card driver says it does not support the necessary features, or returns an error, then Photoshop disables OpenGL drawing. If the card or driver are known to not support the features, or to be too buggy to use, then Photoshop disables OpenGL drawing.  But if the driver says it is working and returns no errors -- then Photoshop will continue to use that driver. But Photoshop has no way of knowing if the driver is doing the correct things or not.

In your case the driver says it was working, but it wasn't drawing the images.

So what you are describing is, once again, a bug in your video card driver.

See the manual for information about the features that use OpenGL (3D, canvas rotation, color picker HUD, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 2, 2011 6:37 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

See the manual for information about the features that use OpenGL (3D, canvas rotation, color picker HUD, etc.).

Or this page:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points