• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded videos don't play -- get sound but no picture

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I play videos embedded in a webpage (such as videos directly from facebook), the videos don't play properly. I get the sound, but no picture. If I move the mouse over the video, the picture flashes briefly and then disappears. Any suggestions for fixing this.

This seems to be a new problem within the past month, and I think it is tied to the latest Flash update.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Flash and Shockwave.

I am running:

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Internet Explorer 9 (problem exists when I run both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions)

Flash Player ActiveX 64-Bit 11.1.102.55

Shockwave Player 11.6.3.633

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the Flash uninstaller from: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

Then go to this Microsoft site to run the fix to repair any registry damage: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Finally, go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and hopefully, things won't go pear-shaped again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xircal,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using another browser. I suggest Firefox because that's what I use and therefore I'm familiar with it. You can download it from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/ It's only available in 32-bit.

Then go to these sites to download the plugins:

If you don't like the "Tabs on top" layout, right click a blank part of the tab bar and then click "Tabs on top" to remove the checkmark. Tabs will subsequently appear below the location bar where you normally type in a URL.

There are numerous other things you can do to customize Firefox if you decide to keep it, but for the time being, the object of the exercise is to determine whether IE9 is the cause of the problem or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Google Chrome and Firefox.  Embedded videos worked fine with both of them. So the issue is either some sort of conflict between the latest version of Flash and IE9, or that I coincidentally downloaded a conflicting plugin for IE9 around the same time that the last Flash update was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have a problem with Flash Player videos in Internet Explorer if you set Internet Explorer to software rendering instead of GPU rendering(Internet options, Advanced tab)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, setting IE to software rendering instead of GPU rendering solved the problem.  Thank you.   Do you have any idea why (or why GPU rendering stopped working a month ago after working for years)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Internet Explorer and Flash Player have been making increasing use of a system's GPU, updates in either can cause problems if you have an older graphics driver.  That the problem disappears when changing Internet Explorer to software rendering indicates that your graphics driver needs updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem and similiar configuration:

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Firefox 9.0

Problem exists since last update (i think).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pahela wrote:

I have exactly the same problem and similiar configuration:

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Firefox 9.0

Problem exists since last update (i think).

Firefox 9 is still in BETA. There are bound to be problems with it.

To get help on this forum, uninstall it and reinstall the stable release which is 8.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines