Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can Premiere Elements 10.0 or 9.0/9.0.1 Saved Project.Prel be Imported into Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5?

Oct 10, 2011 5:31 PM

The Premiere Pro CS5 Supported Video Project file formats include:

PREL (Adobe Premiere Elements project) (Windows Only)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiere...a568-8000.html

and we know that the Premiere Elements project file is a project.prel.

Yet if you read the Premiere Elements 10 ReadMe, you see there the statement:

"You cannot import Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0 project into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 or CS 5.5.".

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/907/cpsid_90745.html

The Premiere Elements 9.0 ReadMe has a similar statement about its prel file and Premiere Pro CS5/CS5.5.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/863/cpsid_86324.html

I am wondering if the person who wrote that into the ReadMe forgot to add "for Mac".

Can anyone with both Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 or 10.0 AND Premiere Pro CS5 or CS5.5 (all Windows) confirm what is written in the ReadMe for these version? I do not have Premiere Pro (any version) to confirm and refute what is written in those ReadMe and am looking for someone who has been there and looked at that.

Thanks for any input on this matter.

ATR

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2011 5:45 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I cannot verify that your stated versions will Open (or Import) properly into PrPro CS 5.5, but can say that PrE 4.0 Projects (PREL files), will Open, or Import, into PrPro CS2.

Now, there are some aspects of PrE, that will not translate: Themes, Instant Movies, New BlueFX (unless one has those for PrPro in 64-bit), Some Effects, etc.

Otherwise, the PREL's should Open, or Import, nearly perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 2:47 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Yes, that portion of the ReadMe forgot to add "for Mac".

I had a project in Premiere Elements 10 (Windows).  I tried unsuccessfully to open the .prel file on a Mac in Premiere Pro 5.5.  However, if you open the .prel file in Premiere Pro 5.5 on a Windows machine and save it as a Premiere Pro 5.5 project file, you can open the converted Windows Premiere Pro 5.5 project on a Mac with Premiere Pro 5.5.

This works:

Elements 10 Windows -> Premiere 5.5 Windows -> Premiere 5.5 Mac

This does not work:

Elements 10 Windows -/-> Premiere 5.5 Mac

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to cnelson711

I have an identical Problem with one big project. This means I should be able to solve it by installing a test version of Premiere Pro, load, save and then transfer it to my mac? Will my Elements 10 be still "alive" after Installing and uninstalling PremierePro ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Martin_Sprengel

One PrPro user just replied to a similar THREAD in the PrPro CS 5.5 Forum, that one cannot do that on a Mac, but only on the PC. From A T Romano's info above, it seems that the PREL Import/Open is for Windows only.

Being a PC-only person, I cannot even test this.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi Bill & A.T.,

sorry for not being sufficiently precise. Maybe this is due to writing something not in my native tongue quickly between two procedures in the operating theatre...

My issue is that I have a quite big project (AVCHD 1080i footage) that I processed on my Win7(x64) System under PremiereElements 10 and just recently bought a MacBook and CS5.5. What I would like to do is transfer the project to my CS5.5/Mac to make use of its extended capabilities. Therefore I am planning to install Premiere Pro on my Win7 System, load the .prel file, save it as .prproj and then transfer it to my Mac, as suggested by cnelson above. What I am not sure about is: will my Premiere Elements Installation survive the Installation and subsequent Uninstall of Premiere Pro ?

Thanks for your replies

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I am still using XP-Pro SP3 on all of my active machines. I am also using PrPro CS2 Production Studio, and PrE 4.0 on only my laptop. I have the recent versions of both PrPro and PrE, but am waiting for my 64-bit Win7 laptop to be built (hang up with Cleveo MoBo's, to be resolved by about May).

When I installed PrE 4.0, it DID break the full CS2 suite, but by that point, Adobe knew of the issue, and had done a KB on the problem. In my case, just doing a Repair Install for each program in the CS2 suite, did the trick, and both programs have run, side-by-side for many years, without a hiccup. However, I have NOT uninstalled any of those Adobe programs, so cannot comment on what might go wrong.

Usually, Adobe programs coexist well. However, PrPro had an issue with CS3 and CS4. If one had both PrPro CS3 and CS4 installed on the same computer, then uninstalled CS3, it took some necessary "pieces" of CS4 with it. Again, the "trick" was to do a Repair Install for CS4, and all was fixed. I have not read of any other, such issues, but they might have just gone unreported, or reported in forums, that I do not frequent.

Wish that I had more to offer, especially regarding PrPro CS 5.5 and PrE 10. I just have not explored those programs, yet - late May?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I successfully installed CS5.5 (Evaluation) on my machine. PrE 9.0 is still working. This Issue is settled so far, I believe. See what happens when I remove the CS5.5 Eval...  The purpose of the whole thing is to transfer a big project from PrE9.0 to CS5.5... I finally managed to load a .prel project into Premiere Pro, but first I get this warning:

\\?\C:\Users\Martin\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0\Australia 2011 PrPro.prel

Videofilter fehlt:  AE.ADBE AutoKeyer

Videofilter fehlt:  AE.ADBE ObjectTracking

and the original sequence of clips is listed among the used media in the left upper tab, has the "sequence" icon as opposed to the clip or audio icons, but cannot be dragged into the the timeline to edit the sequence. With a right-click on the sequence, I am offered a "generate sequence out of clip" option (sorry if I do not use the correct terms since I use a german version). This newly generated sequence (same name, same icon) now displays in the editing timeline, but is one big sequence, no cuts, no tags. Is there any mistake I made ?

thanks

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to Martin_Sprengel

Er.... Please dont think I had some too many of the bad stuff, but just after posting the above message, I once more imported a .prel file, saw the sequence and frustratedly double clicked on it like a dozen times before and - - it would smoothly load and present in the timeline. No markers, but I don't care. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to Martin_Sprengel

Please note that you should not be "importing" a .prel file into a project.

A .prel IS a project file. You open project files by selecting File/Open.

You import media files into a project using the Get Media tools.

Confusing those two functions can definitely lead to problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

@ Steve,

thanx for the hint, you are certainly right. I DID NOT import anything, I used File/Open. Unfortunately, I cannot see why my previous attempts have falied... The only remainder of my PrE 9 editing is a warning of a AE.ADBE Video Filter missing, which has no adverse effects that I would know of.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Martin_Sprengel

Glad the you found the Dbl-click to Open a PrPro Sequence as a Timeline. PrPro has Sequences, which are like mini-Projects, within a main Project.

Not sure about the first warning that you got, but Motion Tracking is not supported in PrPro, so that could not be used, when you transfered your PREL to PrPro.

The same thing would have happened, if you had Instant Movie/Themes, or had any of the NewBlue FX Transitions, or Effects used.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Martin_Sprengel

Thank you for reporting your partial success. That is what I had anticipated, but did not have all necessary to test.

For people, wishing to migrate a contemporary PrE Project into a contemporary version of PrPro, if the Project is simple (no Instant Movie/Themes, no 3rd party Effects or Transitions, and none of the non-supported Effects from PrE), they are likely to have pretty good luck, thouogh there could still be little glitches, or operations missing.

When the PREL is Opened, or Imported into PrPro, their Timeline will appear as a Sequence in the PrPro Project Panel. Dbl-clicking on that should open it as a Timeline in PrPro.

Just be aware that not everything will likely translate, as PrE has some different Effects (not necessarily 3rd party), Transtions, and other features, that are just not supported by PrPro.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points