Skip navigation
Evertech
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot get project to stop complaining about memory issues

Dec 2, 2011 4:07 PM

Hi,

I have been having a very frustrating experiencing working on a Premiere Elements 9 project. I kept on getting system memory low error messages with my original project so I cleaned out the supplementary audio and removed one video clip which was causing repeated problems and saved the whole project as 3 separate AVCHD videos (H.264 format 1920 X 1080i 25 fps). My idea was to use what I could save from my original project and bring that in to a new project. I was hopeful I could continue working on my project without the ongoing memory issues which sometimes would become more serious compiler errors etc that would cause the whole product to crash.

I cannot understand why I am encountering so much difficulty with my video projects. I have taken the step to reduce all my still jpeg images to a resolution of 1000X750, which I was informed would have been one of the main reasons for the problems I was having. I originally had issues on an older computer but I bought a new system which has a lot of grunt. It runs Windows 7 64 bit Intel i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz and has 8 GB memory. The C drive where the Premiere Elements software lives is a 128 GB solid state disk.

I am at a loss for why I am having so many issues with this software. I would really appreciate any hints and suggestions for how to get the software to work for me rather than against me.

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 2, 2011 4:13 PM   in reply to Evertech

Which project settings are you using? If your project settings are the best for your video you will not see red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline until you add effects to them. Is this the case in your project?

And, when you do see red lines, do you press Enter to render your timeline? These two things alone should elminate your memory issues.

Although is that 128 gig solid state drive your C drive? If so, where are your project files and media located? 128 gigs can fill up and/or defragment pretty fast, and that can also cause performance problems!

You may also want to download and test drive version 10. It's performance is a huge step up from versions 8 and 9!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 3:34 PM   in reply to Evertech

Along with Steve's comments, you might want to take a look at this ARTICLE, and especially some of the links on memory/resources. Memory and resources can mean different things, besides just installed RAM.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 3:03 AM   in reply to Evertech

If you see red lines as soon as you bring your clips to PRE then you have NOT selected the correct project setting. Analyse your clip(s) with  GSpot or MediaInfo and post the screenshots here. Also have you worked through the advice in PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips (especially those about driver updates as drivers on new machines are usually woefully out of date).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

And, whenever you do see red lines as you add effects and transitions, RENDER your timeline by pressing Enter!!!!!

Rendering produces a temporary video file so that your computer isn't constantly having to reproduce every effect you've added every time  you play your timeline.

If you're getting memory issues, THIS IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Evertech

If you are loosing the links to the Rendered files, the first thing that I would check is whether there is a networked, or external HDD in use.

Where are the Scratch Disks located?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Evertech

Ideally, one would want a Project Preset, that matches the Source Footage, but there is none for a Frame Size of 640 x 480, which is probably PAR = 1.0, or square pixels. If you are in PAL-land, then the PAL DV Preset is probably as close as you can get, with either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9. With the square pixel material, you will likely need to Scale up slightly, and this can be done with Scale to Default Frame Size checked.

Now, regarding your Scratch Disk location, plus that of your Projects and your media, do you ONLY have the C:\ internal HDD?

With memory/resources, there is more to that, than just the installed RAM, such as Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). Regarding that, I have some questions:

1. Where is the Page File located, C:\?
    2. How is it managed, dynamically (the Windows default), or statically?
    3. How much defragmented, free-space do you have on that HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Evertech

Well, 32GB is not a lot, and especially with a dynamically managed Page File. The normal rec. is 20 - 40GB, but I use a slightly higher figure of 40 - 60GB.

With the Page File, and the Scratch Disks (containing most of the PrE "working files"), it can be amazing how much space is used up, and how quickly.

For video editing, I like to set the Page File to be statically managed, so that it is created at bootup, and that also saves CPU cycles, as Windows does not have to spend time guessing what the size should be, on the fly. When I build a new system, one of the first things that I do, before even adding programs, other than the OS, is to set the Page File to be static and about 2.5x the installed RAM (this would be overkill with a 64-bit OS and 12 - 24GB of RAM). I test the locations, but usually find that locating the Page File on a separate HDD is best. When one does this early on, the Page File will be created, on say D:\, or E:\, at the outer edge of the platter(s), and in the same spot every time I boot up. This also keeps the Page File from fragmenting, as it is exactly the same each time, and in a location, that is as fast to access, as is possible. Part of that probably comes from my old "engineering background," as I like things to be as efficient, as is possible, and with a "safety factor."

Also, as an HDD gets to about 70% of capacity, the performance will decrease. As it fills above, the performance will decrease exponentially, and near capacity, the chances of catostrophic failure increases.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Evertech

The ssd does not need defragmenting. It could harm the ssd. Would you like to go to the ssd manufacturers site and confirm this. The ssd might also need restoring look for the how to on the manufacturers site. You dont have that much room left on your ssd. I would get a second one, even only a 60G and a HDD for storage.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to legswilly

You are correct, and I had forgotten that the OP had an SSD. Thanks for that.

However, the available free-space issues will apply to an SSD, just like an HDD.

Ideally, one would use an SSD for the OS and programs, and then have at least one, and ideally two HHD's, for media and Projects.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to Evertech

Having to re-Render is often cause by having the Media Cache/Render Files on a networked, or external HDD, but from the info, I rather doubt that is the problem here. Just to get those causes behind us, are there any networked, or external HDD's in the process?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This was also a chronic problem in versions 8 and 9. Losing the rendered files on re-opening a project was remedied in version 10, FWIW.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Evertech

Version 10's performance is a vast improvement over version 8's and 9's overall and a number of bugs (including that issue with rendered sequences) have been addressed.

It would certainly be worth $35 or whatever the upgrade cost is now to me to have these improvements. (Particularly if I was editing AVCHD!)

More on the improvements and new features can be found in my review, along the left side of this page:

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Evertech

If you're going to upgrade to version 10. It's the way to go best price to get it at his Amazon.com. $58 and work than any PC or Mac. Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to Evertech

Has the problem been solved? Could you post the solution please.

I still think that it is the room left on your 120G ssd. Have you got a HDD that you could try and use as a scratch disk, put the page file on it too. It would be a lot slower, but if the memory problems stop, you would know what it was. Some of the problems could be solved by an upgrade.

Amazon has a good price for Premiere Elements and they have on occasion a price for a Crucial 60G below $100.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to Evertech

I don't quite get how we've earned an angry face, Evertech. We've been working with you from the start.

If you'd like to contact Adobe, please click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of any page on this web site.

But blaming us for your problems is just rude.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve, I would not have taken that Evertech was angry at you. I would have been browned off at Adobe.

They have wasted our time including yours, Bill's. well all ours.

If that was a known issue, why did it give the memory out error message? It should have given an appropriate error message. He did contact Adobe and finally found out, they could not help him. I think he deserves a freebee. Is Adobe so afraid that there might be an avalanche of "known problems" and people wanting an upgrade for nix?

LWilkins, I live in Australia and wanted to by from Amazon, but it would not sell to me, something about the manufacturer not wanting them to. For Photoshop and Premiere Elements I pay here Aus$180 or so, from Amazon less then a US$100. I dont think it is fair, but that is what it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to Evertech

Once again, Evertech. Not sure why you're venting at us.

Have you contacted Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Evertech

Sorry but that's never been my experience, and I've been dealing with them in various capacities for nearly 10 years.

It's unfortunate you couldn't get satisfaction though.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 10:15 PM   in reply to Evertech

It takes  a few calls sometimes to come accross a person of knowledge. I am talking about Adobe support. That is my experience with any company.

I am using an old version of Premiere and I am looking to upgrade. What I will do is use the trial. It seems fully functional and that is a good way of finding out before I buy. At least if it does not work I won't need to buy. If it doesn't do what I want I will be dissapointed, because I have got used to Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Evertech

Not recommended to open an older version project in new PRE version. You should either complete the project in the older version or Share a video file (DV or HDV for preference) from the older version. Then you can import that clip into your PRE10.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers