Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Drawing blending into a photo

Dec 2, 2011 9:57 AM

Hi All

I've done a lot of postprocessing over the years but not that skilled in actual construction/manipulation. I have an idea of a picture that is drawing blending into a photo. Eg the left side of the picture being a drawing that blends into the photo at the right side of the picture.

As far as I've come is that I will start with a photo, import it into Illustrator. Do some sketching on top of one side of the photo. And then comes my challange.

How do I blend these two things into one picture where the drawing seamless blends into a photo?

Do any of you have some hints as how start this job?

Suggestions most appriciated

-- Søren

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 2, 2011 4:07 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

Generally speaking, it sounds as if maybe you want to put the drawing and photo in a single document as two different layers, then use a layer mask on the upper layer with a gradient to gradually make the upper layer more and more transparent, so as to show the lower layer through.

FadeImageIntoDrawing.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Keli Douglas
    23 posts
    Nov 28, 2011
    Dec 2, 2011 4:21 PM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

The first and hardest part is finding two pictures you can merge together.

Picture 36.png

#2 Set your transparency so you can see the images over lapping. Move the shapes around to achieve the best overlay.

Picture 37.png

#3 Using a soft edge eraser start blending together the two images.

Picture 38.png

#4 Adjust you Brightness and Contrast to blend in with the original.

Picture 39.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2011 2:00 AM   in reply to Søren Langkilde Madsen

Funny, you should ask. I just found this really cool looking tutorial that I'm planning to use that covers blending an illustration with a photo.

http://www.psdeluxe.com/tutorials/photo-effects-tutorials/mix-hand-dra wing-sketch-with-photo/

I think I'll change up that sketch over the photo in the real world step and just sketch on a white layer with a lowered opacity using my Wacom Inutuos3 tablet.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points