Skip navigation
dawnmregan
Currently Being Moderated

Need help with blown out highlights please

Dec 4, 2011 11:05 AM

Tags: #cs4 #photoshop #problem #help #image #jpeg

IMG_7165.jpg

Hi.  I am not very good with Photoshop and need some help on how to fix the blown out highlight areas of this photo, please.  I've spent the past couple of hours trying to figure this out and have not found a good technique yet.  Any help will be most appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2011 11:19 AM   in reply to dawnmregan

Try image/adjustments/highlight and shadows.  Use the sliders to get the best results.

This will be a good start anyways.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2011 11:28 AM   in reply to dawnmregan

First brighten the shot up using an adjustment layer and then brush your highlights back to where they are now. the fact your shot looks so dark,makes the bright areas more noticeable. if they are totally blown in the original,you cant get detail where it does not exist, but making the overall image brighter visually should help in my opinion.new.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to dawnmregan

Good advice above.  The sample image Donald put up looks fine.

What format is your photo in?  If you captured it in raw format, there's a chance that changing some of the Camera Raw development settings could bring in more information in the highlights.  Most cameras offer some exposure "headroom" that can be recovered through the Recovery slider in Camera Raw.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points