Skip navigation
Simantel
Currently Being Moderated

Turn scrolling frame into a button?

Dec 1, 2011 1:54 PM

Fellow DPSers,

I am currently experimenting with DPS trying to create an environment with several tabs. The area inside the tab is meant to display scrolling content with interactive elements (specfically video and hyperlinks) included. On top of that, when each tab is clicked, I want it to swap out the right area with content from its corresponding section. The swap is a feature that's fairly easy to do with InDesign's standard button features; however, I do not have the option to create a button from the scrolling frame. I'm assuming the overlay is conflicting somehow.

Trying another idea, I moved content from one of the scrolling frames into a separate InDesign document and then placing it into the scrolling frame I'd previously created. This allowed me to then create a button from that frame, but the interactivity was lost when placed. The content from the imported document works fine in the Folio preview.

I'm really just looking for suggestions or workarounds. I need the tabs to be controllers for the content. I figure I might be able to get around this by making them hyperlinks to different pages in the document, but I'd prefer to keep everything on one page so that there is no confusion to the user. Image inserted for reference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Screen shot 2011-12-01 at 3.29.01 PM.png

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2011 2:30 PM   in reply to Simantel

MSO's? All scrolling frames in a MSO and the tabs being buttons going to a specific MSO? You could create a difefrent coloured tab for the pressed state button.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 10:34 AM   in reply to Simantel

Unless I'm misunderstanding your stated goal, this can't be done with the current DPS toolset.

Interactive elements cannot be nested.  An MSO cannot contain a scrolling frame, video, etc. and a scrolling frame cannot contain an MSO, video, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2011 10:52 AM   in reply to Simantel

This is a very basic feature everybody is waiting for. Hopefully, Adobe will incorpprate it in future DPS updates!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 7:34 PM   in reply to Simantel

Honestly, from my experience, that hasn't work. It's a great idea though! The only workaround would be to have the tabs be hyperlinks to other pages and those pages to have those exact graphics positioned precisely which is easily done via IND. The only downside is that those pages appear in the viewer's contents bar and the scrubber. If Adobe were to allow the designer a way to suppress both the contents bar and the scrubber from being viewable, you'd have a digital publication that would behave closer to an app than it would a magazine. That would be awesome and I hope we see that soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 7:38 PM   in reply to Steven_Sokulski

Hi Steven, with the new update released in late November, scrollable frames can contain video, audio, 360 etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 4:56 AM   in reply to Simantel

I would create several pages, one page per tab.  Then I would layout these pages with interactivity. You can change the colour of each tab per page (to show that the tab is "active" and you're viewing the content). The tabs itself would have an invisible button above it refering to those pages (using the navto:// command to link to articles).

This way the tabs are just internal links to articles, and the content is on a regular page zo you won't run into the technical restrictions of interactivity in MSO's.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Simantel

Yes, this issue was discussed in another thread. You've run across a bug in which the text from nested scrollable frames drops when it's uploaded to acrobat.com. The team is working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points