Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Troubleshooting help: Premiere Pro 5.5.1 Mac crashes

Nov 1, 2011 12:47 PM

I started a new project today, and Premiere Pro crashed when I tried to save. Relaunching got a "do you want to recover" message, but just gotr more crashes. Now I can't save any project, or even close a project wihtout a crash.

I tried editing an older project in Premiere 5 (not 5.5.1) with the same sort of crash.

I tried deleting autosave files, any caches I could find, and my prefs.

I restarted, remove 5.5, re-installed, and still no dice. Closing a project, trying to quit, whatever, I get: "Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down..."

When the app starts it says:

"It appears that Adobe Premiere Pro closed unexpectedly....do you want to open the prvious project?" whether I choose Yes or No the crashes continue!

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 3, 2011 10:25 PM   in reply to John_Nolan

I have a similar problem - I can't open an existing project and its infuriating. Ive uninstalled and tied both PP5.5.1 & 5.5.2 with the same result.

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 3:28 PM   in reply to John_Nolan

Hi,  I really feel for you both.  Please read this thread - it may help you understand why CS5.5 can't be run 'properly' on a Mac!  If it's all too much information to take in, skip down to my posts closer to the end of the page.

I made the mistake of buying CS5.5.  I'm a Mac user.  Basically, if you want to use CS5.5 where it works 'properly' you'll need to buy a new, very expensive computer, extra drives & graphics card (or an equipped PC).  I am a victim of Adobe's unfair advertising to Mac users.  I hope your situation is not the same as mine.  I guess this is why you haven't received any answers yet.

link:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4062488#4062488

Good luck

Jac

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 5:27 PM   in reply to Jac Godsman

Jac, you are being rather silly. I have a Mac and it runs quite well . It just doesnt run on your under powered machine, thats all. Get a grip

Tom Daigon

Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Mac Pro 3,1

2 x 3.2 ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

Nvidia Quadro 4000

24 gigs ram

Kona 3

Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to lasvideo

My point is and remains - I have to buy a new computer.  I can't add extra drives, the right graphic cards etc. to it and that goes for most Mac systems.  My machine is well powered but not well powered enough for CS5.5 so the point is I have to buy a new machine.  What's silly about that?  I think a lot of Mac users will find this information very important.   Perhaps if your computer was the same as my computer, you would suddenly discover empathy and you wouldn't be calling the point silly. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 8:02 PM   in reply to Jac Godsman

Professional software requires a professional computer unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 9:10 PM   in reply to Jon Chappell

Jac, actually I did express my empathy in one of the several threads you were complaining in. I just ran out when I got to this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 1:40 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Hey lasvideo,

no you weren't empathizing in the other thread either. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 1:48 PM   in reply to Jac Godsman

Jac, heres the comment . It was a wasted attempt to relate to your situation and explain the nature of the business. Time to move on.

Tom - "Jac, what you have learned is not a surprise to most professionals working in the field. But to newcomers it can be a bit of a shock. Spending $25,000 for a fully outfitted edit bay for someone like me is a deal. Some of the bays I worked in the past cost from $150,000 to $1 million.  Good professional grade equipment costs money. You want a reliable car, its gonna cost you. Same with edit suites. Its hard to understand when just the software has gotten so cheap recently but thats just the tip of the iceburg. You are not alone in feeling sticker shock and annoyance. But from my perspective the cost of getting a versatile edit system is mighty cheap."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 6:27 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Thanks Jon - I've been working on my three year old iMac professionally for three years now using FCP, Adobe photoshop and Corel Draw.  It has been fabulous for professional work.  Thankfully your point re-highlights my point - that Mac users need to be wary when buying CS5.5 (i.e. read forums and heed warnings if you're not sure about minimum system requirements and understand that the minimum system requirements are misleading i.e. when you read 2GB ram needed, Adobe will later tell you that you actually need not 4, not 8, but 12 for it to run relatively smoothly and 24 to run properly with no problems.  There's a great Help video I discovered on the matter made by Adobe.

Hence, it is very likely that if you buy CS5.5, you'll need to buy a new computer.

Lasvideo, there's a big difference between sympathy and empathy. You were sympathizing at first, then empathizing with yourself in the second and then sympathizing again in the third.  I do totally agree with you however - that it's time to move on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points