• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Particularly nasty crashes with flash

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I am going to paste a description of the problem I initially posted on tomshardware. It took me a while to realize that

the only connecting thread between the crashes I am experiencing was Flash.

i5 2500k

asus p8p67le

8GB gskill

Sapphire 6850 (11.9)

Coolermaster 600w

No overclocking. All the temperatures are fine. Tried a clean install of Radeon drivers.

This crash has been bugging me for a long time. It usually occurs while gaming but not always. Also occurred while viewing flash videos and even just simple images. Appears to be happening in random. I can have a few days without a crash or a couple of hours with 3 crashes.

Description:

The monitor turns off abruptly as if it isn't receiving a signal. Sound will continue for about 10 seconds and will then loop. After that the only way to get back to normal is a hard reset. Just hitting the reset button doesn't work. The PC resets but the monitor doesn't turn back on. I can see by looking at the hard drive led that the this reboot is stuck somewhere it doesn't get to load windows. The only way to get things back to normal is completely power off the machine and power it back on again.

After I'm back in Windows I get a "the system has recovered from a serious error" message:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xffffffffffffffff, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80002ed4bb6). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 112411-19952-01.

Event viewer doesn't show anything else because apparently the crash takes windows down instantly. Using Whocrashed, I get the following:

On Thu 24-Nov-11 19:13:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112411-19952-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002ED4BB6)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 24-Nov-11 19:13:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x4BA2C)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002ED4BB6)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys ATI Technologies Inc. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I am pretty helpless diagnosing this crash. No logs and and black screen give very little information. How can I find out what runs at ntoskrnl.exe +0x7CC40 ? Why does whocrash blame two different modules for the crash (the kernel and ATI driver)?

I feel that the fact that a hard reset is necessary might give some clues but I have no experience with these types of crashes, it's also impossible for me to try and reproduce.

Any help is very much appreciated.

I've been experiencing these crashes while doing 3 different things:

1) Wathcing twitch.tv (online streaming site which uses Flash)

2) Playing starcraft 2 (which uses flash for it's gui)

3) Playing Skyrim (uses flash for it's gui)

I think that there is a very high probablity that flash is the culprit here. Is there a way to diagnoze this? Some sort of Flash log to look into?

Thanks ahead

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say which version of Windows you have installed? But judging by the fact that you have 8GB RAM installed, I guess it must be Windows 7 x64.

The error message you're seeing, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL means that a kernel mode driver or process attempted to access memory to which it doesn't have permission. You'll find a full explanation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Is it a new machine, or an upgrade? If it's an upgrade and you replaced the motherboard, did you reformat and reinstall the OS afterwards?

You can try loading the Last Known Good Configuration. To do that, reboot and immediately after the BIOS logo disappears, hit the F8 key a few times in quick succession until you see the Windows Advanced menu appear. Then choose "Last Known Good Configuration". Windows will subsequently load an image of the OS the last time it worked properly.

You may be having problems with Flash as a direct result of an unstable system, but that app isn't the cause of the problem in this particular case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a new instlation of Windows 7 x64. There is no last known good configuation because I've been having these problems ever since I assembelled this machine.

>You may be having problems with Flash as a direct result of an unstable system, but that app isn't the cause of the problem in this particular case.

How can you be so certain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling hardware acceleration.

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

What version is your intel graphics driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try it but I have no surefire way of reproducing the crashes so it's

going to be hard to test. Anyway, won't disabling it only

affect my browser's flash settings? I don't think I can control what Skyrim

and SC2 are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend making sure that your ATI video drivers and motherboard firmware are up to date.  Carl's note about disabling HW acceleration is a great idea and one I'd highly recommend to try to continue to troubleshoot this issue.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the driver version number of your integrated Intel graphics driver?????????

If disabling hardware acceleration does not stop the crashes, you can always write another message whenever a crash happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an integrated graphics driver, I use a Radeon 6850. I will

report if the crashes continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click Start, type Device Manager, click Device Manager, double click Display adaptors, what are your display adaptors and driver version numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drivers are radeon 11.9 although the problem happened in earlier

versions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is no graphics driver installed for the integrated GPU that comes with the i5?

What is your browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

almogo wrote:

The drivers are radeon 11.9

The latest Radeon driver version is 11.11

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes, I do have the latest 11.11 version.

Carl: I believe the ingerated GPU is automatically disabled if you have a graphics card plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

almogo wrote:

Hi,

This is a new instlation of Windows 7 x64. There is no last known good configuation because I've been having these problems ever since I assembelled this machine.

>You may be having problems with Flash as a direct result of an unstable system, but that app isn't the cause of the problem in this particular case.

How can you be so certain?

All Windows systems have a Last Known Good Configuration option. If you don't have it, then the operating system is not installed properly and that's where the problem lies. See this article for details: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Flash cannot cause the problem because it's occurring at level 2 (Dispatch_Level), that is to say during the time the operating system and drivers are loading. Since Flash doesn't load during startup, it cannot be the cause of the problem.

The system is unstable because either a driver or the operating system failed to load properly. Consequently, anything you try to use the machine for is likely to go pear-shaped. Since Flash taxes the system, it probably will crash if the operating system is unstable, whereas you can probably run a low level app like Notepad without any problem.

After you built the machine, did you install the chipset drivers? Something often forgotten.

Do you have any black exclamation marks inside yellow circles in Device Manager? Is there an "Other Devices" category? The latter means that a hardware component has loaded, but Windows can't find a driver for it.

Are there any "Problem Devices" in the system? You can check by going to Start, then Run, type: msinfo32 and click OK. Then open the Components tree and then the submenu called "Problem Devices". If you get an error when you run msinfo32, apply this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977620

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Windows Last Known Good Configuration is based on System Restore points

which are periodically created after certain events. The problem I am

describing has existed

ever since I first installed Windows so LKGC won't help in this case. The

way LKGC works in this case won't help to solve the problem.

I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that the problem occurs

at "level 2". I don't have any problems at system start up problems occur,

sometimes, when using

application that make use of Flash technology.

>The system is unstable because either a driver or the operating system

failed to load properly

How do you know that? That doesn't make any sense. Maybe you are replaying

to another person with a different problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

almogo wrote:

>The system is unstable because either a driver or the operating system

failed to load properly

How do you know that? That doesn't make any sense.

Please read this document which explains how plugins work. Hopefully, it'll help you understand why you have a problem with your system and not with Flash: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference:Plug-in_Basics#How_Plug-ins_Work

And here's an example of how a driver can cause a blue screen in Flash. You can download the NVIDIA Release Notes yourself from http://www.nvidia.com Pick your country and then go to the Driver Downloads page.

fixed_issues_nvidia_blue_screen.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. Windows 7 64 bit, dual ATI HD8500's. I crash once a day if not more. It does the same thing. The monitor just quits, but I have seen the display driver recovery message also, but it usually just crashes, green screen, lines, BSOD, or just no signal. i have removed all drivers and replaced with 11.11. It happens with flash games on facebook and even when I use google images. It's a huge pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dw17dw17 wrote:

I am having the same issues. Windows 7 64 bit, dual ATI HD8500's. I crash once a day if not more. It does the same thing. The monitor just quits, but I have seen the display driver recovery message also, but it usually just crashes, green screen, lines, BSOD, or just no signal. i have removed all drivers and replaced with 11.11. It happens with flash games on facebook and even when I use google images. It's a huge pain!

The symptoms you mentioned i.e. green screen, lines etc., are described in this article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Performance_or_display_issues_with_certain_Flash_videos

If you're using the Firefox browser, do the following please.

1. In the location bar where you normally type in a URL, type about:support and hit Enter.
  2. On the page which appears, you'll see a button called "Copy To Clipboard". Click that.
  3. Come back here and then right click and choose "Paste" from the menu.

If you're seeing a blue screen, what is the name of the Bug Check and which Stop Error is mentioned? If you don't understand the terminology, have a look at the image in this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windows_XP_Blue_Screen_of_Death_%28PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA%29....

In this example, the Bug Check is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the Stop error is 0x00000050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines