Skip navigation
Silverfox39
Currently Being Moderated

Delete the space between multiple clips, at once, on the timeline?

Dec 9, 2011 8:55 AM

Is there a way to delete the space between multiple clips on the timeline with one click?

I trim clips on the timeline, so I can have a couple hundred clips with space between on the timeline.  Is there a way to delete all the spaces between the clips at once? 

Right now I have to ripple delete the space between each clip, big hassle and a lot of key strokes. Is there a better faster way to trim clips in general?  Or delete the spaces on the timeline?

Untitled-1.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to Silverfox39

The fast way to edit and avoid your issue is to edit the clips in the source monitor and insert or overlay them to the timeline from there.

(There are a number of ways to insert or overlayclips ).

Using the Razor in the timeline for trimming and editing  is slow.  Tidying up the mess adds more time.

The Razor Tool  is for splitting clips.

If you are actually trimming clips by dragging the ends of them.  Use Ctrl Drag to ripple the edit as you go.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to Silverfox39

No automated way of removing gaps. I use "In, Out, Extract", but maybe you could avoid creating the gaps in the first place?
    When trimming clip ends on timeline, hold the CTRL key and this will ripple things so no gap is created.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

only way i know is what youre doing...ripple delete each one

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 9:57 AM   in reply to Silverfox39

Have you seen Ann Bens' Gap Removal TUTORIAL?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for sharing, Ann has an amazingly clever little trick that would solve our friend's issue easily!

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 10:07 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

I agree. When she first posted that, I was amazed how simple it was to use, so bookmarked it for use by others.

Now, PrE has a built-in function for Deleting All Gaps, but it's limited to only Video, where there is no overlaying Video, or underlying full Audio. Those two situations will keep PrE's function from doing anything with the gaps.

To Silverfox, welcome to the forum, and hope that Ann's method cleans up those gaps for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 10:26 AM   in reply to Silverfox39

Yes, you want to use ripple delete and you will not have ths problem. Before I learned ths I had to trim like you are doing and then right click and select ripple delete. Take or setup a text sequence and play around with ripple delete and the other tools. Each one as it uses and can help speed up editing.

John Gerard

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 10:44 AM   in reply to johng12345

wow, ann tutorial very cool... did test and worked great.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 11:39 AM   in reply to Silverfox39

I think that this would make a good Feature Request, but it would need to be more robust, than the similar function in PrE. Since PrE does not have the same Track Targeting, that PrPro does, I think (not being a coder), that it could be implemented to function on a Targeted single Video Track, to work irrespective of other Tracks, both Video & Audio.

Good luck, and glad that worked for you. When I saw it first, I exclaimed a great big "NEAT !" and immediately bookmarked it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 11:46 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

must not forget to mention.. the soundtrack ( music ) of Ann's tutorial was really cool too !

much better than listening to someone drone on about what can be SEEN being done quite easily...

I almost started 'dancing'...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to Silverfox39

I have not used the source monitor much. Can I use the sourse monitor to make a lot of cuts "clips" out of one big clip?  Say I want to take the highlights out of a long wedding ceremony?  Or do I need to do this one the timeline.  Edit clips on the timeline is very intuitive to me and I can do it fast, except for all the spaces betweent the clips.

Absolutely ( and I wouldnt do it any other way because it is designed for ease and speed)

Try it:

1.Target a Video and Audio track in the timeline

2. Place the long source file in the Source monitor.

3. Locate the  first highlight and Set In and Out Points  ( KBD Shortcut "I' and "O")

4.Then Insert it to the timeline ( KBD "," )  

Note: there are a number of ways of sending the selection to the timeline (eg.Insert / Overlay buttons, drag it to the Program Monitor, drag direct to the timeline). You can also take video only, audio only, both. Darg options have modifier keys for insert / overlay ripple-ing

Back to the source monitor (step 2)  and mark next highlight selection....repeat steps...etc.....

Ensure your CTI (playhead) is always at the end of the last clip in the timeline.  KBD short cut "End" and you will have no gaps to deal with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz, it is not possible when external audio is used

CS6 is out, but the feature is still not there

removing gaps still involves multiple steps. AnnBens created a great Tutorial for cases when clips are not spread on multiple tracks, but even in that case the technique is great.

Here's another solution for such cases, it is to use a bunch of short video/audio clips in a prepared sequence.

You can leave "Remove Gaps" sequence in the project if it is need to be used multiple times per session.

It's not faster to use, and it bloats project size.

And in fact it's much slower if you try to Copy/Paste a thousand of small clips

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points