Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What does "Error 10" mean? "An error occurred while loading your project. 10"

Dec 9, 2011 1:00 PM

Does anyone know what "Error 10" means?  For the first time, I'm getting a message that says, "An error occurred while loading your project. 10"I'm getting this message when I try to open a project that I created yesterday.

I'm using Adobe Premiere 6 on a Windows 7 machine.  I have over 20 gigs of open space on the drive with all the project and support files.  And this machine with 2 gigs of RAM never has a problem opening other similar Premeire project files with even more still images plugged in.

All of my Premiere project files have always opened with no problem.  A similar file that this project file was created from with all the same base elements still opens with no problem.

This file almost finishes the "Loading Project - checking files..." process, but then I get the error message.

I had also saved a duplicate backup file for the project in question and it will not open either, so I believe that rules out a corrupt file... it is only this one project that I created yesterday that will not open.  This project file is only about 5.7 megabytes in size.

This file has many still images plugged in to it, but all the same images are plugged in to another base file that still opens correctly.

I've also tried closing all other apps to save memory but I still get the error.   I've also tried opening this problem file from within the application and I still get the same error message.

I read some troubleshooting information on the Adobe website about files that give error messages that will not open and it recommended adjusting the size of the virtual memory paging file in the system settings to twice the amount of RAM that is installed instead of being on the automatic setting, so I followed the instruction verbatim and restarted my machine and I still get the error message.

I've also read other troubleshooting info on the Adobe site that recommends to "delete the application preferences file" and "recreate the plugin cache file", but I'm not sure if "Error 10" indicates that those things are the correct procedures to use.

I could re-create this project file, but it has many tricky cutting and motion setting edits that will be difficult to reproduce and it took me a full day to create this project file.

Also, yesterday before initially closing this file, I was able to successfully render a test version to an AVI file and that video file plays fine, but neither the original project file nor the duplicate will open... I'm always getting the "An error occurred while loading your project. 10"   after the file almost finishes the "Loading Project - checking files..." process... it almost finishes opening but then I get the error message.

Thanks for any input on this problem.  You can see the error message screenshot below.

digi

error10.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to digiday

>many still images

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 3:09 PM   in reply to digiday

As a test, can you create a New Project, and then Import the problem Project into it?

It sounds like you might have some corruption in an Asset, so if the above test does not work, you might want to "hide" your Assets. I do this by creating New Folders, and say Moving the Video to one, the Stills to another, the Audio to yet another. Then, Open the problem Project. It should begin to Open (if luck holds), and then PrPro will ask, "Where is file ______ ?" At that time, just use the Finder to navigate to that new folder, where that file is located. PrPro should then re-link to all of that type of Asset in that folder. If all goes well, and say the Videos all re-link, you should get that same "Where is... ?" for the next "missing file." If those Assets load, you should get another request for missing files (in my example here with Video, Stills and Audio), and then perhaps a hang, and error message (though that could come in the first, or second part of this test). That would indicate that one of those Assets has corruption, or at least a problem. One could then repeat the test with those Assets split into 2, or 3 different folders (no need to work with the other Asset types), and see if you can narrow things down even more.

It does take a little time, a bit of planning, and then some Opening of Projects, but if there is corruption in an Asset, you can then address that, in hopes of fixing it, and thus the Project.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 3:13 PM   in reply to digiday

Only "useful" reference to Error Code 10, that I could find for Adobe Premiere is in this KB Article.

I sort of doubt that this will be helpful, and you have probably already seen it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 3:40 PM   in reply to digiday

Yes, I noticed that too, but with so few Adobe-centric hits, I just included it.

I wish that error messages could be much better, than they are, say "Error 10 - please check your _____ and replace your _____ to fix it." Of course, we often do not know where the error is really coming from - the OS, the program, the Project or maybe even the hardware, so that would be asking too much. Also, and I've seen this happen in Encore, something goes wrong, then one of the Sonic AuthorCore modules hits it, sending a flag to Encore's abstraction layer, which then "guesses" at the error, and throws a message, that might, or might not even be close. Encore just knows that something is not right, and will try to fill in the blank, depending on the operation. Some are real red herrings

Good luck, and I'll see if I can nail down Error 10 better. Sorry that the tests did not get you closer.

Now, here is another thought. The Project file is just an XML database. A free program, XML Wrench, can check out the header of the file (where most errors occur), and tell you what is wrong. IIRC, you are using an older version of Premiere, so the Project file will not be a PRPROJ, but probably a PROJ file. XML Wrench will be looking for an XML file extension, so to load the Project file, you will need to use the drop-down in the Finder to get All Files. Let XML Wrench test the file, and see what it says.

Good luck, and hope that helps narrow things down.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

For a bit more about XML Wrench and Project files, see this PrPro-Wiki Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 4:51 PM   in reply to digiday

Interesting. I have had XML Wrench, which WAS freeware, when I downloaded it. I've got 1.3.2.16.

As for the Preferences file, which version of Pr do you have - my memory always needs a refresher.

In later versions, the "trashing of Prefs" is done by holding down Shift+Ctrl (think that is rights, as it's Shift+Ctrl+Alt in PS), immediately (and I do mean "immediately") after launching, until the program has fully launched.

Also, the exact location of the Prefs file differs a bit by version. In my case, the Path = C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\[Version Number, and is called "Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs" with no file extension.

Good luck, and do not know what the deal with XML Wrench is. As with all downloads, I scan each executable file, prior to installation, and got zero hits.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2011 6:10 PM   in reply to digiday

I have had it for some years, and honestly have no clue, where I download it from.

Now, Tucows is (or was) usually very good. Not sure what the deal is, but were I to get any warning messages from any download, I would be very wary.

Wish that I could help more,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2011 9:23 AM   in reply to digiday

Thank you for that feedback. Never having an issue with Pr 6.5 PPJ format (heck, I could not even remember what the extension was, and as I was working with Mac Pr 6.5 Projects, I had to add the extension, as they did not appear on the Mac), I did not recall a limitation with XML Wrench. Good to know, and I will try to remember this info.

Wish that I had some way to clear any corruption, but I am out of ideas.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

the solution is to upgrade to premiere 6.5 or 7.

i had the same problem and after upgrading to 6.5, everything is open as it should without this error.

i found the solution in this link

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points