• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADL SCORM Schema

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just received a module back from the LMS test team and they have reported that the course completion status is not being communicated to the LMS. They have told me that this issue has been encountered before wth courses that contain the text string <schema>ADL SCORM</schema> .  I have been asked to repackage the module with the line <schema>IMS Content</schema>.

Can this be done through Captivate, or do I need to go and edit the XML directl?  If so, aside from the LMS issue, will this edit impact on the behaviour of the content in Captivate?

I am using Captivate 5.0

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Lance.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this WILL truly help your particular brand of LMS, you can just edit the manifest.xml template found at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5.5\Templates\Publish  (on 32bit systems)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5.5\Templates\Publish (on 64bit systems)

This is the file that Captivate alters at publish time to become the imsmanifest.xml file in the output package.

Just out of curiosity, which particular LMS is this that you're trying to work with?  I've not encountered this particular complaint before and I'm a bit dubious that it would make a difference.

If your Captivate SCORM module is not passing an LMSFinish command, what have you got your Project End option set to? (Stop or Close)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Rod

Will have to edit the published imsmanifest.xml file directly as I cannot alter files on C drive (not sufficient permission).  I am somewhat dubious myself about this as a solution, but will play the game.

The LMS is SABA - have to do some investigation around known issues with SABA.

Project end is "Close"

Once again, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Take a look at the information I've so far collected on this page in my Captivate LMS Guide: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-learning-managment-system-lms-guide/saba

Note particularly the suggestion that you might need to place a scored button on the second last slide of your project to kick Saba in the ribs.

Please let me know if you DO find a resolution for this issue.  Any information LMS users can feed back about what works will be very useful for all the other poor Captivate users out there struggling with the vagaries of LMS behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Rod

In reference to the scored button, I have an assessment/quiz in the module.  The way it is currently set up, post quiz, the learner views the result page and is then taken to a success or try again page, depending on their result.

If I add a scored button to the success page, Captivate tries to take the page back to a point prior to the results (undestandably as it now forms a part of the quiz).  From what I have read in the links on your page, I think this solution is for projects without assessments so may not be applicable to me here?

I have now turned off the Never Send Resume Data, so hopefully this will make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the saga continues ....

OK, I have turned off the Never Send Resume Data; the testers now have no problem (that they have mentioned) with the reporting to the LMS, but now their issue is that the module doesn't bookmark.  It appears that the solution to the original problem is now the reason for failing testing.

Is there a workaround that will satisfy the bookmarking requirement without conflicting with Saba?

Additionally with Saba, we have a requirement for an LMS Control window to open. According to their development standards, once the Learner selects a launch icon from the LMS, both a Saba control window and a content window open.  When the Captivate unit is closed, both of these windows should close.  This is fairly standard and on other projects that I have been on, this has occurred without issue, so I was a little surprised when it didn't happen automatically here.  Is there a setting within Captivate that I am missing?

Once again, thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bookmarking is a client requirement, not an LMS requirement.

A Captivate course can set bookmarking (via the Resume Data) but sometimes this will conflict with something else in the same LMS...e.g. scoring...as you have found.  Turning off the bookmarking fixes the scoring issue. 

If you cannot find a way to resolve both issues then your client needs to work out which is more important to them: bookmarking or scoring.  My guess is that scoring is more important.  Bookmarking is a nice ot have, not an essential.

Just because a feature (e.g. bookmarking) exists in an LMS doesn't mean you MUST use it, especially if other considerations outweigh it.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep looking for a solution that gives you your cake and allows you to eat it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree totally Rod. 

Unfortunately, those who manage the LMS are those who manage the development standards so the requirements of one are blended into the other.  Failure to adhere to the standards means that you don't pass their testing: the module not reporting results is considered a High Priority (LMS), as is the lack of bookmarking (dev standards). 

Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure there is anything else I can offer as a solution.

There is a change to the Captivate HTM template in Captivate 5.5 that resolves some issues people were having with bookmarked courses getting stuck on the loading screen.  I know this is a different issue to yours but it might be worth your while downloding and installing a trial version of Cp 5.5 to test whether using it would resolve the scoring issue when bookmarking is turned on.  Just be sure to test this out using a COPY of your project file, not the original, as Cp 5.5 changes the file format slightly and would mean you cannot then open the same file in Cp 5.0.

Some info here about the change in the code: https://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2011/03/solution-to-captivate-scorm-course-freeze-issue-on-some-lm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Will let you know if we find a solution.

Cheers

Lance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources