Skip navigation
svensonx
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5 Master Collection/Lion/iMac freezes after sleep

Oct 22, 2011 5:04 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #freezes #crashes #sleep

In brief, looked at all the discussions, tried deleting the appropriate plists and so on, but I still have problems with photoshop, illustrator and indesign crashing/freezing randomly after I wake my iMac from sleep mode.

Everything is up to date, drivers, scripts etc. I have had Lion and CS5.5 co-existing happily for a while problem free, its only been the last 3 weeks that I have noticed the problem. If anyone has any solutions, Im all ears.

Steve

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 2, 2011 1:03 PM   in reply to svensonx

Same problem here. Anyone???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2011 6:17 PM   in reply to svensonx

Did you do a clean install of Lion, or did you just run the installer on top of a previous OS version?

It's not usually necessary to do a clean install, but you may be carrying some corruption over from a previous version.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the Master Collection. If that doesn't work, you might have to start over with a clean install of Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2011 9:57 AM   in reply to svensonx

I'm having the same issue. Just did a clean install of Lion and problem started right up again.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 5, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to svensonx

svensonx wrote:

What is annoying is both Apple and Adobe are pushing toward making programs and OS's app based or at least downloadable.

At least in the last 20 years of me buying Adobe products and running macs in my studio, I have always had back up disks to do the traditional re-installs when needed. This year has been the first year I have trusted just downloading the programs instead of having the disks.

When you download an Adobe app, you download a disk image or an installer.

It's your job to save that. Save it on your hard drive, burn it to a DVD, or whatever.

There is no loss in the funtionality you had before by having a disc.

Braden Brook:

I'm having the same issue. Just did a clean install of Lion and problem started right up again.

Crashing? Upload a crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to svensonx

I'm having this exact same problem on both my MacPro and MacbookPro. The MacPro was an upgrade of lion onto snow leopard but the MacBook was a clean install of lion on a brand new hard drive with a clean install of CS5.5 so I don't think it makes a difference as to how the SW got on there. I like Steve's hunch about spaces -- that makes sense.

I can't, however, find any other threads with this problem. Are there any? Steve, you referenced "looked at all the discussions, tried deleting the appropriate plists and so on" -- what other discussion are there? Or did you just mean that you deleted the plists b/c that's always the first logical step...

Anyway, hoping someone has some help with this.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 8, 2011 10:15 PM   in reply to CLEARinc

thehaloproject: Which "exact problem," exactly? Upload a crash report so we can see.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:14 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Do you mean the report that apple generates after you force quit the program? I'm not aware of any report that adobe generates after you force quit the application. The program never "crashes" per se, rather it freezes with the spinning beach ball.

--

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 9, 2011 12:07 AM   in reply to CLEARinc

Christopher: You should probably edit your post with the web interface to suppress your personal contact information (signature). It is on the web for all to see.

The original poster reported "crashing," and since you said you had seen "exactly" the same problem, I asked for details. Of course, I should apologize because I was being somewhat snarky -- generally when someone says they are seeing "exactly the same problem" as someone else, the chances of that claim being correct are vanishly small... It is always better to assume your problem is different and provide as much detail as possible than to assume it is the same. Sometimes it is, but usually it's not.

If you have the report after force quitting, that's useful yes. Upload it to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

Alternatively, force a crash by running Activity Monitor and choosing View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:20 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Thanks John, I deleted it. Do people troll for information like that on these forums? It's not very hard to find out a lot about me via google anyway.

I hear what you're saying about "exact same problem"...he was similarly vague by saying "crashing/freezing" so i figured it was more similar to my problem than not. I've also been involved in a thread on Adobe Lightroom that's become a serious known issue and affects the majority of users so I'm prone lately to assume that I'm not alone when things like this start to happen.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and try posting some reports as you suggest. Thanks for the help. BTW, will the activity monitor suggestion above cause me issues in anything else i have running?

Best,

Christopher

ps. oh, and you did come off as waaaay snarky.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 9, 2011 12:38 AM   in reply to CLEARinc

It's hard to say what goes on under bridges, but many people are (unpleasantly) surprised to find their personal information in public. It's best to assume you don't want it rather than the reverse. (Also, it does clutter the forum, but that's a seperate issue).

We're here to stamp out the vagueness. SIGABRT via Activity Monitor will behave exactly the same as Force Quitting the process from an application perspective. The operating system will gather more diagnostic information, though. It's a pretty safe thing to do. Obviously you don't want to do it while you have unsaved open work in the application you are Aborting, but I expect you knew that.

Snarky? Well, I figure that since I asked previously for more details and only got silence back, that there was some call for it. Probably not. It is 3am here though, so bah. Anyhow, best of luck. Get us some details and we'll see what we can do.

But of course, Lion is new. Incidently, you don't mention what set of apps you are having this problem with, and that may be pertinent. All of Creative Suite? Just InDesign? Etc, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:43 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

It's 3am here too. I am, however, seriously jetlagged.

Here's a report from Apple on the latest Illustrator crash i just had: http://pastebin.com/BjnkgdNd

Good question on the apps. It's consistenly with Illustrator and InDesign. Sometimes with Photoshop. I also started thinking, I'm wondering if it may have something to do with Suitcase Fusion 3. That never seems to play nice with others. Just a thought...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 9, 2011 12:49 AM   in reply to CLEARinc

It's 3am here too. I am, however, seriously jetlagged.

Wait, you're on a 3/4 hour timezone too? Wow!

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with Suitcase Fusion 3. That never seems to play nice with others. Just a thought...

It's no fair when you get the answer in advance! Cheating!

But yes, you are correct, this is absolutely Suitcase's fault. See your attached call graph -- fifteeen out of fifteen samples (100% of the time) are in ExtensisFontManagementAICS5, aka Suitcase Fusion 3 (well, some Extensis product).

Thread 0x16f6a

User stack:

15 ??? (in Adobe Illustrator) [0x3316]

15 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 749870 (in Adobe Illustrator) [0xd412a]

15 AWS_CUI_RevertAlert(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::aws::gen::String<unsigned short>&, adobe::aws::gen::String<unsigned short>&) + 3769694 (in Adobe Illustrator) [0x6e856e]

15 Main(char*, char*, void*) + 271 (in ExtensisFontManagementAICS5) [0xf55686f]

15 HandlePluginCaller(char*, char*, void*) + 360 (in ExtensisFontManagementAICS5) [0xf555f64]

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:56 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I'm a former Apple employee (back when Sculley ruled...) so I'm usually good for one or two good guesses...

Yes, I'm -5.40 Eastern Timezone Extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 6:58 PM   in reply to svensonx

Hi, here is my crash report after indesign become unresponsive. I see some Extensis stuff in there, but if that's the cause, what's the workaround? I am having this problem in Indesign, photoshop and illustrator.

Thanks.

http://pastebin.com/41trjiTL

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 9, 2011 7:19 PM   in reply to cmyk5199

Hi, here is my crash report after indesign become unresponsive. I see some Extensis stuff in there, but if that's the cause, what's the workaround?

Yup.

The workaround is to disable the autoactivation plugins, or to upgrade Suitcase. In any case, talk to Extensis, they have free support for their product.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 6:10 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Crud -- I did unactivate all of them (major pain) but I just noticed an update to Fusion, will install and see if that helps.

What do you use for font management??

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 10, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to cmyk5199

Seat of the pants, I'm afraid.

But I believe you can still use Suitcase's fontmanagement functions without the autoactivation plugins. Better than nothing (probably).

I have the luxury of dealing with a relatively fixed set of fonts, so font management is not an important part of my life.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 11:22 AM   in reply to svensonx

Great -- that is not the answer I was looking for!! : )

Updated Fusion, now crashing again. Here is the report. Is it still there? I wasn't even using fonts, but importing illustrator files (that do have fonts -- so that may be it?)

http://pastebin.com/A2UJrwim

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 10, 2011 6:31 PM   in reply to svensonx

Sorry for the delay. All 3 of today's crash reports/sample process datasets are from Suitcase. You guys should be able to search for "Extensis" in the output and if it's there, it's probably the problem.

Specifically:

16 GMystiqueConfig::GetIsCoreAgentProcessRunning(bool&) + 33 (in ExtensisFontManagement) [0x13546969]

13 SuitcaseIdleTask::RunTask(unsigned long, IdleTimer*) + 1252 (in ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5.5) [0xdbb8c5e]

16  ...is.AutoActivationPlugin.ID7     0x251c341e SuitcaseIdleTask::RunTask(unsigned long, IdleTimer*) + 1252

So, yes, turn off Suitcase Fusion and take it up with Extensis.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 11:35 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

John Hawkinson

same poblem here but what do you mean "turn off Suitcase Fusion and take it up with Extensis." .... How  would I do that? OSX 10.7. iMac

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 16, 2011 12:16 PM   in reply to npennett

Extensis Suitcase Fusion is a 3rd party software product for font management. If you do not have it installed, you do not have the "same problem." Please open a new thread and follow the directions in post #9 to obtain and post a link to a crash report.

If you do have Suitcase Fusion installed and cannot figure out how to turn it off, let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2011 1:53 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I do have it(Suitcase Fusion 14.2.0) installed, but I'm not sure if thats the problem, That opens no problem.  I quit Suitcase Fusion and tried restarting PS but it still hangs,

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 16, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to npennett

You're not asking me to repeat my instructions a third time, are you?

Whether Suitcase is running or not probably has no bearing on whether the autoactivation plugin is installed.

If it's not clear what you should be doing, please reread my posts in this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 11:57 AM   in reply to npennett

npennett, here's the thing. Under preferences in the Suitcase menu, there is something called manage plugins. When you go there, there's a bunch of items listed and probably checked that indicate that the auto-activation plugin for that item is activated. Uncheck all of those and you'll still be able to use Suitcase, it just won't activate your fonts automatically. So, for example, if InDesign needs a particular font, you will just open Suitcase and activate it, either temporarily, or permanently. I made a set called "regulars" and added most of the fonts I use all the time, and set them to be permanently activated. It's not difficult. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 1:09 PM   in reply to svensonx

I deactivated them all, restarted, and ran like that for several days and I still have the problem. I've asked around in my local community as well and several people are having the same issue.  ??

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 7, 2011 4:08 AM   in reply to cmyk5199

What?!?!? You guys are still stuck??

Remove the auto-activation plugin!

I'm sure there's some snazzy UI way, but just get rid of /Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Plug-Ins/ExtensisFontManagementIDCS5.5.

If that doesn't do it, please post a new crash report.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to svensonx

I am experiencing the same problem, Indesign Freezing after sleep. However I and am running Adobe Design Premium CS5.5 on OS 10.6.8. with Suitcase Fusion 3 14.2.0. I will turn off and remove the Suitcase Auto Activation Plugins (3.0.4.11) and do a restart(for yuks) and see if I get any better results.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 2:18 PM   in reply to svensonx

OK, this sucks as far as workflow is concerned, but it seems to have stopped the freezing problem for me. At the bottom of the 'Type' menu, you will find the Suitcase Fusion 3 menu. There you will find the "Auto-Activation Preferences' sub-menu. The first checkbox in that is "Enable Auto-Activation'. Normally I leave that turned off. I turn it on, open my working document; it loads my fonts, then I turn it off again. I have found that if I leave it on and my iMac even thinks about sleeping, InDesign will freeze.

A guy at Extensis told me they were investigating, that it may be a timing issue between the Mac OS, Adobe and Suitcase Fusion 3, where after a sleep, they no longer remain connected and then reload in the wrong order, so InDesign remains waiting for a signal it missed. If Auto-activation is off, this doesn't happen.

Keep in mind that you only need auto-activation when you load the document. Granted this is a MAJOR pain in the butt if you are working with loading numerous documents over a period of time.

I'm going to try turning off the sleep function. Perhaps that will work too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to svensonx

The freezing has gone away.

I simply in Suitcase Fusion 3 -> manage plug-ins unchecked the Plug-ins for all my Adobe ApplicationsCS4-CS5.5(InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop). It removed the Plug-ins also from the Apps Plug-ins folders. I then restarted my computer. Launced Outlook and Safari, and it auto-activated the fonts for that. I then opened InDesign, it it just have the warning about the missing font, which I then manually activated. It seems to be running a lot better now.

I can not wait for Extensis to figure out to fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to svensonx

I just had a conversation with Extensis. They said they are trying to pinpoint what is causing the issue. They did say the problem seems to happen more on machines that have battery backup. I am using a laptop, so I did not fit that scenerio.

In the mean time, for a work around they suggest either deactivating the plug-ins(see above), or downgrading to version 14.0.6. The only downside of this is you will lose functionality of WebInk. I do not use Webink so this is not an issue for me. I am now awaiting instructions on how to downgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to KARTGuy

Nah, the battery excuse is rubbish. I have two desktop machines that are sharing the same freezing problem (funny though, my laptop hasn't yet). The only partial solution has been to disable the plug-in activation.

Really, really disappointing the problem has gone this long and the best Extensis can offer is a suggestion to downgrade your software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to svensonx

I'm having the same freeze/crash issues with CS5 (Photoshop and InDesign and Illustrator). I have disabled all Suitcase Fusion plugins in Illustrator and Photoshop and disabled Auto Activation in inDesign. I'm using Suitcase Fusion 3, version 14.2.0. My Mac is a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core i7. running OS X 10.6.8. Did the Suitcase downgrade work for anyone?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 19, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to Fredrick

Fredrick:

I'm having the same freeze/crash issues with CS5 (Photoshop and InDesign and Illustrator). I have disabled all Suitcase Fusion plugins in Illustrator and Photoshop and disabled Auto Activation in inDesign.

I can't tell from your post. Are you saying you have disabled all of those things and you are still seeing crashes or hangs? If so, which are they, crashes, hangs, or both?

Follow my instructions in post #9 and upload a crash report and sample process output to http://pastebin.com/ and we'll tell you waht is going on.

Do you have Quark2ID installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 2:15 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I'll upload my next crash report. I have Suitcase plugins for PS and Illustrator disabled and the inDesign enabled, but Auto-Activation deseleted. Since I am designing with a large font library, juggling projects for many clients, I need a font manager like Fuitcase. For inDesign, I can open a document, see what fonts are needed, go to Suitcase and enable them. I was also having crashes when exporting to a PDF from inDesign, but disabling Auto-Activation seems to have fixed those crashes. No Quark2ID installed.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Dec 19, 2011 2:43 PM   in reply to Fredrick

If you truly had crashes before (rather than hangs), you should be able to find older crash reports in Console.app.

I can't advise what you should do if Suitcase is still the cause without auto-activation; presumably either turn it off or downgrade to 14.0.6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Can you describe the difference between a freeze, hang and crash? They would all seem to be a problem. Where specifically should one look in Console.app?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points