Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

FAQ: Premiere Elements Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Jul 31, 2012 2:42 PM

There are many things that can be going on with one's system, and even a brand new system (possibly more likely with a new system?). Neale has assembled a checklist that one should explore first:

Work through these basics to see if it cures your problems.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturer's web sites.
  • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update, same for PrE 10, or later, or any patches for your version of PrE - check Adobe's site.
  • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)  Note: location will be slightly different for each version of PrE
  • Run Disk Cleanup.*
  • Run Defragmenter.
  • Reboot your PC.
  • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
  • Check your HDD's free-space. PrE needs about 20 - 30GB, just to run, and when editing, needs about double that, for the working files. *

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

There are several FAQ Entries, found in Premiere Elements FAQ's, on the right of the main forum page, and these address some of the issues covered above, plus also offer some tips on tuning up your system for NLE (Non Linear Editing) work. Be sure to read all of the FAQ Articles.

In the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, there are many articles related to program/computer hangs, crashes and even the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). They are accessed via the link to Tips & Tricks, also to the right of the main forum page. Here are a few, that might offer some great tips, and things to explore:

Clean, Lean and Mean Editing Machine (with some Win7 Tune Up Tips via the contained links)

BSOD - A Serious Issue (with links to other articles, and also to the MS Web site, for The Case of the Unexplained)

Memory & Resouce Issues - Windows Virtual Memory

For issues with source files, see these articles:

Problem With An AVI File? - The Lowdown (Discusses other formats, which are also just "wrappers")

MP3 Files - Having Problems?

MJPEG - How to Handle it

CODEC's A Primer

Hope that these are helpful, and special thanks to Neale for his assembly of the checklist.

Hunt

* PrE, like most NLE (Non Linear Editing) programs, creates very large working files. These are necessary for it to do the work. Having 30 - 40 GB of defragmented, free space is necessary for the program to work properly. Note: with HDD's, once one gets to about 70% of capacity, the performance will go down. The closer to 100% capacity one gets, the lower the performance. Also, as 70+ % is reached, the mechanical wear on the HDD will increase. As one approaches 100% capacity, the likelihood of catastrophic failure of the HDD will increase greatly, as performance declines. Keeping the use of a HDD below about 70% is important for performance and for the health of the HDD.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Let me contribute some additional details to the discussion.

The program won't even run. I can launch it, but once I choose to stat a new project or open an exisitng one, the sofware immediately fails.

"Adobe Premier has suffered a serious error and must close. Please restart."

I can't even get it to run well enough to get into it. Does that help?  I need to get this solved soon as I'm under deadlines.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)