Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

How Do I Roll Back ACR 6.6 to ACR 6.5?

Dec 15, 2011 5:07 PM

I have a Window 7 PC and other than uninstalling and reinstalling my entire Creative Suite, I cannot see how to just uninstall the update (ACR 6.6) that renders me unable to access my Canon 5D Mark II RAW files.  Any suggestions?

Everything worked fine until ACR 6.6 install just now on Windows 7 machine (CS 5 Production Premium). Bridge/Photoshop can no longer read my Canon 5D Mark II RAW files, but work fine with older Canon camera RAW files, TIF's, jpegs. How do I uninstall just ACR 6.6 and reinstall ACR 6.5 without doing anything else? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2011 5:16 AM   in reply to jimsup33

I have Photoshop CS5 on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC and did this by replacing the Camera Raw.8bi file for both the 32 bit and 64 bit paths.  I copied the Camera Raw.8bi files from my laptop, which still had ACR 6.5 installed.  I did this when I installed ACR 6.6 Release Candidate and have since installed ACR 6.6 without any issues, but I am using Nikon RAW files. 

The Camera Raw.8bi files have the same name in the 64 bit and 32 bit path, but they are different so make sure you get them in the correct place.  The Camera Raw.8bi file in the 64 bit location is larger in size. 

If you are using any version 4 profiles, they will not work properly with ACR 6.5.  I believe they are only for the D3, D300, D300S, and D700, so you should not have issue with your Canon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 7:43 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

ACR is a plug in that can be installed and updated independently of Photoshop.  Just make sure you delete 6.6, and then install whatever version you want.  Also, make sure that you only have one version of ACR on your computer.  In Photoshop go to Help/About Plug In/Camera Raw and make sure that only one version is listed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 9:52 AM   in reply to jimsup33

Go to the folder where the plug in is located.  I'm not going to bother to find the path, you can search using one of your search features to find it.  When you find the file, simply delete it.  There are no registry entries associated with the plug in.  It is simply a file on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to jimsup33

You have already got the file.  The installation should have put the 8bi in the appropriate folder, and you should be good to go.  There are other things in that executable such as lens and camera profiles.  So I don't have any additional help to offer you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 12:55 PM   in reply to jimsup33

The two paths you listed are the same as I have for Photoshop CS5 on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC.  I had Photoshop CS5 installed on my Laptop which has the same operating system as my desktop and I just copied the ACR 6.5 Camera Raw.8bi file from the Program Files and Program Files(x86) File Format paths and pasted them in the same location for my desktop.  The desktop then had ACR 6.5 instead of ACR 6.6 Release Candidate. 

I read a post somewhere where someone extracted the Camera Raw.8bi files from the "Camera_Raw_6_5_Updater" you download from Adobe.  The files are is two folders "Assets 2_1.zip" that are in a "Payloads" folder in the Updater folder. 

Camera_Raw_6_5_Updater  >  Payloads  >  The two top folders have "Assets2_1.zip folders (one folder has x64 in the name and the other does not and is the (x86)).  Copy the Asset2_1.zip folders to two different folders (one for the Program Files path and other for the Program Files(x86) path).  These are zip files, so right click on them and extract all  file.  The extracted file is named 1002 and 1003 - these need to be in different folders because you are going to rename them to CameraRaw.8bi - do this by right click and rename.  The larger of the two goes in the Program Files path the other in the Program Files(x86) path. 

I did not do this since I could just copy from my other computer - Hope is works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 11:37 AM   in reply to jimsup33

2 b2martin_a - thanks a lot from me too - You just saved time for me - that I could spend to process new foto - not for reinstalling CS5 at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 7:33 PM   in reply to jimsup33

Glad to hear that it worked for both of you.  I had the same problem when I installed ACR 6.6 Release Candidate and found it had a problem relative to using Actions to process RAW files.  I ask the same question you did, but did not get any answers.  I then realized I had not updated my laptop, so it was easy to just copy the correct Camera Raw 6.5 file and replace it on the computer I updated to ACR 6.6RC.  Before Adobe had the installer for updates, this is the method used to update Camera Raw.  They use the updater now because there is more to update than just the Raw converter - camera profiles, lens correction, etc.   I was sure the Camera Raw file was somewhere in the Camera Raw Updater, so just started searching.  I also knew the exact file size of the Camera RAW file, so this made it easier. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2011 6:13 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Depending on what restore points and backups you have on hand, you may be able to go to the folders containing the plug-ins, right-click on the files, choose Properties, then use the Previous Versions tab to restore an older version...  It's been a Windows feature for a while now...

Properties.jpg

PreviousVersions.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to jimsup33

How can I rollback to 6.5 on a mac?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...