Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Photoshop cross-platform forum

Dec 18, 2011 2:12 AM

I just noticed the announcement at the top of the Photoshop Windows forum page that the forum will be set to read-only on January 3rd in favor of the cross-platform Photoshop forum. I ask myself how long this information was posted before I noticed it!

In any case, the link to the cross-platform forum doesn't work, but I think I found it here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=discussions&s tart=0

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Don't think it's been there for long, I only noticed it yesterday (and by then there were only three posts there).

Anyway, I'm all in favor and actually proposed it at the time of the forum switchover from Web-X to Jive. I think it will make the forum much more interesting, with all the expertise in one place.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 7:44 AM   in reply to twenty_one

I just hope that some posts don't degenerate into Mac vs PC disagreements.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 8:09 AM   in reply to Bart Cross

There will probably be an occasional outburst, but no worse than we have already and they usually die out by themselves after a while. Actually I think the best way to avoid it is to have cross-platform forums. Things seem very peaceful in ID and Ai.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Dec 18, 2011 8:31 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Acesofgreen, thanks for the information, I fixed the link.

I think also that it will be a very welcome change, and hope that everybody will help in ensuring that platform discussions don't end in flamewars.

It would be useful, too, to gather discussions that should not end in read-only status, maybe in a thread in the forums discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 8:38 AM   in reply to twenty_one

It was opened Dec 16. With 99% of the core PS features now platform-agnostic it's easier for support to deal with things in a single discussion (and for the "Ask a question" system to aggregate answers), though I agree that there are still platform-specific issues when you start looking at plugins or hardware bugs. Hopefully as the new scheme settles in, posters will remember to identify their platform when they ask a question.

Don't think it's been there for long, I only noticed it yesterday (and by then there were only three posts there).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 11:05 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Hopefully as the new scheme settles in, posters will remember to identify their platform when they ask a question.

Unlikely.

The Dreamweaver forum has always been cross-platform but only half the posters, whose issue is platform specific, identify their platform prior to the regulars prompting them.

I do welcome the change to a co-ed Photoshop forum though.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 11:14 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant wrote:

. Hopefully as the new scheme settles in, posters will remember to identify their platform when they ask a question.

Is there a way to get Jive to add a check box on the reply window where user can check either Mac or Windows operation system?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2011 11:18 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

I STRONGLY disagree with consolidating the Mac and PC forums.

A very significant percentage of the threads here are Windows-specific issues.

It doesn't just have to do with common Photoshop features!  How often, for example, do we see someone having a problem that will be solved by a display driver update on a Windows system?  I don't know how many Mac-specific problems there are over there, but I suspect there are plenty.  I know I personally don't want to have to wade through them.

But I suppose the change must be inevitable if it's already announced.  Sigh.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2011 2:01 PM   in reply to Bart Cross

Bart Cross wrote:

I just hope that some posts don't degenerate into Mac vs PC disagreements.

No chance of that - PC users are very mature.  Oh wait, there'll be Mac users there too. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2011 2:47 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

I guess I was feeling a bit opinionated before...  Let's see how it goes.  I imagine there will be more "please identify what OS you're running" first requests in response to questions.

Hopefully we can get past these forum glitches that seem to have materialized of late and see how it really works.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 6:55 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Lots of people peruse both Window and Mac forums because a lot of questions are platform agnostic.

Some of us have worked on both platforms at different times in our lives. Keeping up with issues on the other side is a good idea because unless you work for yourself, you can never be sure what platform some future job will be using.

And the problems with "Please tell us your exact version of "X" and your OS" will never go away.

The forum reply of "You need to update to the newest version of "X", update it first and see if you still have the problem" will also never go away.

I think the real issue is not getting questions about a platform you aren't familiar with, but rather the non-descript questions like:

• Please Help!
    • Why am I having this problem?
    • Adobe fix this!

Or the completely incoherent question that no one understands.

But I guess there is nothing we can do about these issues,  

Like Noel, I've gotta say these forum glitches are frustrating. A few days ago, the Jive forum software tried to pretend I no longer existed even though I was in the middle of typing a reply to someone's question. This seems to happen to me every 6-18 months and I've never been able to log back in again (tried all the usual stuff). I've had probably half a dozen identities through the years. They just stop working for no reason whatsoever! Luckily this last time I was able to" reawaken" my current login, It only took me half a day to do so however,

End of rant, I feel better now!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 7:49 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

Noel's post is what the Staff here always said when a consolideted forum was suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 10:22 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Dave Merchant wrote:

. Hopefully as the new scheme settles in, posters will remember to identify their platform when they ask a question.

Is there a way to get Jive to add a check box on the reply window where user can check either Mac or Windows operation system?

Jive does, in fact, offer this functionality via a feature called Categories. These let you filter searches, listing only threads tagged with a given category.

It sounds great in theory. But when we tested Mac and Windows categories out for the new General Discussion forum, we found that it was way too easy for folks to forget that they were looking at a filtered search. The UI for clearing categories is pretty hidden, causing more problems than it solves. We'll work with Jive to see if they can update the category UI for a future release.

Currently, roughly 50% of the Photoshop OP's identify their platform and OS version right up front. We want this percentage to go up in the cross-platform forum, so on the main General Discussion page, we've added a "How to ask for help" box with a fairly prominent suggestion to include your OS version. For the users who overlook that advice, we aim to do more active admin curation, adding Mac or Win to thread titles where necessary. That approach has worked really well on the feedback.photoshop.com site.

Give the cross-platform forum a whirl for a few weeks and see what you think. While some threads will require a bit of OS confirmation, the advantage of having all the platform-neutral How To conversations in one place will likely make this a change for the better overall.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 1:36 AM   in reply to Mark Wheeler

The eternal optimist speaking... Let's hope it works out.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to Mark Wheeler

People are lazy, they do not read "how to" stuff, they just want to post their question and get an answer now.

I don't think we need to filter the mac and windows questions as there is too much overlap.  The only unambiguous areas would be file locations or OS glitches.

A simple check box in the reply window, preferably in the text area, I think would help considerably.   Users would probably do a check box, where they would not take the time to write in the OS at start of question in all cases.

I am an eternal pessimist, but still hope it works out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 10:21 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

The PrPro Forums have been X-platform, as of CS3, and the lack of OS listing in the initial post is a constant problem, where after a dozen Replies, we get "Well, that fix is ONLY for the PC, and I am using OS-X... !"

Of course, until CS 5 went 32-bit ONLY, we constantly had issues with folk not listing their version of Windows, and, as we all know, XP, Vista and Win7 are all quite different.

It got so bad, that I did a "Got a Problem? How to Get Started" article in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, and just linked to that, when we'd get those "I've got some video and it doesn't play properly... " posts. In PS, there are a bit fewer variables, but still enough, that a poster SHOULD post necessary info.

With X-platform versions of PrPro, we greatly encourage posters to put "[PC]" or "[Mac]" in the post's title. Sometimes they do, but mostly they do not. Heck, mostly they never mention the platform, until a dozen Replies!

Much here, and even there, is not platform-centric, until one gets to the hardware, and OS issues - the program does not really care, and other than remembering to type Alt/Option, and Enter/Return, it's pretty common. However, and as you mention, things like video drivers ARE platform-centric. Just get out the list of "Twenty Questions," and add it to the first Reply in those vague posts.

I do not anticipate many Mac vs PC battles, as we have had very few in PrPro Forum, and the contributors here seem mostly motivated to help others. Let's hope that I am correct.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)