Skip navigation
lkld
Currently Being Moderated

ACR is Darkening Photos

Dec 19, 2011 8:09 AM

Tags: #cs5_acr

Ok, I upload my photos with Canon's Digital Photo Professional. I preview them there, so I can write down file numbers to edit in PS CS5. I then open them in Bridge. As the files are opening, you can see each photo darkening from first to last. Comparing them side by side, with the same file (DPP vs. CS5 Bridge), The exposure has dropped somewhere between 1.5-2 stops. I'm quite sure this is a color/monitor management issue, and that is something I know little about. What info. do I need to give, so I can remedy this? Thank you in advance for your help with this!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to lkld

This is a colour management issue. The photo hasn't changed, it is just being viewed differently. First off, you have to make sure that the colour profile for DPP is being used in CS5, as an example, if DPP is using sRGB and CS5 is using the Adobe RGB, that explains the difference, maybe not to the extent you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 8:17 AM   in reply to lkld

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 8:50 AM   in reply to lkld

What you are seeing is the embedded image transforming to a ACR thumbnail.  If you have thumbnails set to embedded you will not see this.

ACR is camera raw and it is just that.  You have to change your defalult setting in ACR to match the way you want the pictures to view.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 9:30 AM   in reply to lkld

Ikid, check out this link which describes how to take control of ACR.  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/cr-auto.shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to lkld

Just to clarify (hopefully...), what Curt is saying is that this is not a color management issue, but a perfectly normal difference in the default rendering between DPP and ACR. There is no "right" way to do it with raw files.

Some people feel the default rendering in ACR should be closer to the camera jpeg. DPP already is close. Personally I don't agree with that, but it's personal choice.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to twenty_one

I think I may be one of the folks D Fosse is referring to when he says "some people". 

It's not always clear to Photoshop / Camera Raw users that there's not just one rendering that can be made from raw camera data.  In fact, there are a virtually infinite number.

The important thing is that Camera Raw's default rendering IS DIFFERENT from that delivered by the camera or the camera maker's own raw converter. 

This is to be expected.

Since I have always liked Canon's interpretation of the color from my camera (Canon 40D), have wished my default conversions could start with that color, and I made it known on the forum, a very knowledgeable Camera Raw forum member named Vit Novak was kind enough to generate a Camera Raw profile for me that actually did make the colors from Camera Raw match those from DPP.

This pleased me very much, and actually solved a major complaint I had - that Camera Raw conversions with the Adobe profiles yield somewhat lifeless skies and poor transitions into overexposure.

But you should know that we then proceeded to improve things... 

To make a long story short, he provided a better profile that actually solved some problems with the Canon color, and I set some Camera Raw settings to other than center-scale.  I now get images that aren't *quite* the same as the camera/DPP color - they're better.

Looking back, I realize that we followed Adobe at least part way down the path they took in deciding not to try to emulate the color made by cameras and other raw converters, but to provide defaults that they feel are better.

I think what you really want to do, in embracing Raw shooting, is to develop a set of Camera Raw defaults that give you what you feel is a pleasing starting point.  Understanding why we see what we see is a good first step in developing defaults you like.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points