Skip navigation
JuergenBerk
Currently Being Moderated

Kindle Fire Support?

Sep 28, 2011 10:27 AM

Tags: #kindle #android #device #fire #support

I understand from today's announcement that the kindle fire device will run on Android.

• Does anyone know if this means Adobe DPS will work on the new Kindle?
  • If not, what is the likelyhood it will be supported it in the near future?

Thanks, Juergen

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

The Kindle Fire product page references Wired magazine (and others) as having 'built-in video, audio and other interactive features'. Sounds like Adobe DPS to me, but would be good to get confirmation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 28, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to Tom Semple

Yes, Adobe is working to support Amazon's new tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 1:53 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

Is it not as simple as just creating an Android .apk

Talking of Android, are we likely to see web views supported any time soon, massive disadvantage at the moment

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 5:49 AM   in reply to mobly

Agreed. Right now, IMO, the Playbook and Android versions of DPS are way too limited to even bother with except for very special instances.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 11:42 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Any further news or time frames when we might expect documentation for DPS / Kindle Fire?

Thanks in advance

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2011 1:51 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

When will Adobe's tools support Kindle Fire? A date would be very helpful and some advice about the hardware limitations. In the light of these limitations (and its currently smaller form factor) we may have to create a new edition of each publication specifically for the Fire. It may have been unrealistic but my clients assumed that ADPS would already be able to export to this format and where surprised when I told them that I didn't know when it would.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 1:59 PM   in reply to Graham Davis

Viewer Builder 1.7, released last thursday supports kindle fire.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPod

Op 10 nov. 2011 om 10:40 heeft "Graham Davis" <forums@adobe.com<mailto:forums@adobe.com>> het volgende geschreven:

Re: Kindle Fire Support?

created by Graham Davis<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Graham+Davis> in Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4017842#4017842

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2011 9:06 PM   in reply to JuergenBerk

Does anyone have any idea when a Kindle Fire-compatible version of the Content Viewer will be available on the Amazon Appstore?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 2:03 AM   in reply to sboerner2

Adobe please answer ASAP! We are planning a book to be published on the Kindle Fire this Christmas and the Viewer will be essential.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Nov 21, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

I'm looking into this. I'll let you know when I find out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 8:55 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks, Bob. I'm ready to start comping Kindle Fire publications, too, and I think this is the only missing piece.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:12 PM   in reply to JuergenBerk

I am confused Bob. Klaasjan Tukker says the Viewer Builder is already able to generate an App for Kindle Fire but we don't have a Content Viewer on the device that we can use to preview and test it!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:19 PM   in reply to Graham Davis

Graham,

do you know what the resolution dimensions (for creating a new document in InDesign) are for Kindle Fire?...I too would like to start building demo .folios and test these.

Is there a document that states what DPS interactivites are supported/not supported for Kindle Fire?

thanks in advance.

Tom Davis

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to tom d. design

the Kindle resolution is 600x1024, dont know if there are any nav bars to account for like you get with xoom or galaxy tab 10.1 for example.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to tom d. design

Mobly has answered you first question Tom and I am hoping Bob Bringhurst will aswer your second one because I have no idea!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Nov 21, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to tom d. design

Klaasjan is correct. You can use Viewer Builder to create a custom viewer app that you can submit to Amazon appstore. You can also sideload that .apk file onto your Amazon Fire and test your folios (1024x600) that are published as public. The same DPS limitations that apply to Android devices also apply to the Fire -- no inline videos, no PDF pinch/zoom, HTML limitations, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 8:03 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 10:32 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, I'm running into a snag with the sideloading process. I was able to sideload and install the viewer APK file on my Kindle Fire, but it repeatedly crashed on launch. We worked with Adobe Support over the weekend and their recommendation is to upload the APK to the Android Market (or, I assume, the Amazon Appstore) and activate it. But we aren't yet ready to publish -- we just want to test the viewer and folios locally.

Can Adobe make its existing Android viewer APK available for download on the DPS website? Or post it on the Appstore?

Any help would be appreciated. I've had two opportunities to demonstrate the Kindle Fire app to clients over the past week and have had to make excuses. This is getting frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Nov 28, 2011 4:09 PM   in reply to sboerner2

Amazon and Adobe are still sorting out the Amazon Appstore details. Currently, there is no Adobe Content Viewer available in the Amazon Appstore -- one should be submitted today or tomorrow -- and I recently learned that any .apk file you sideload to the Fire won't work because Amazon hasn't certified it yet. My understand is that you need to submit the .apk file to Amazon, Amazon wraps it and sends it back to you, and then you sign it and can test it. Amazon calls this "up-down-up signing."

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 6:30 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks, Bob, for the great information. I understand that there are several players here and many moving parts. I'll watch for that viewer on the Appstore.

BTW there seems to be a lot of interest in the Kindle Fire. Clients who have never expressed any interest before in Android want to be on this platform as well as the iPad.

Apologies to Juergen for hijacking his post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 11:11 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob, any updates on the Content Viewer or support in general for the Fire? There still seems to be no viewer app in the Appstore.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 10, 2011 12:59 PM   in reply to sboerner2

Amazon is reviewing the Adobe Content Viewer. It will be available when they approve.

Amazon is currently rejecting any viewer app that gets submitted because the viewer points to Android Market if AIR is not installed. (AIR is always installed on a Fire but may not be on an Android device.) They obviously don't want us to point to the Android Store instead of the Amazon Appstore. The team created a different version of the Viewer Builder that points the appropriate store if AIR isn't installed. It should be posted soon. I used the new version of the Viewer Builder to submit my DPS Tips app again to Amazon. Haven't heard from them yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 1:57 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Good to know, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 12, 2011 5:40 PM   in reply to sboerner2

Update - A new version of the Viewer Builder was recently posted. This version now points to the appropriate store if AIR is not installed.

The Adobe Content Viewer has been submitted and is pending Amazon's approval.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 11:44 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi,

just use new Viewer Builder 1.7.0-RC_2, create a new viewer for Android and set Market "App Store Amazon for Android", sent to .apk to Amazon.

Bad luck, once again answer from amazon :

Your recent submission of Le Magazine AutoTrends is pending due to the following reason(s):

Through our testing process, we found that your app requires Adobe AIR to function. Customers that do not already have Adobe AIR installed will be prompted to download the app. To point users directly to the Adobe AIR page on the Amazon Appstore use the following Download URL: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.adobe.air. (Currently your app links to the front page of the Appstore, not directly to Adobe AIR in the Appstore.)

Any idea to fix this error ?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 9:48 AM   in reply to YvesPoletti

it just gets better, doesnt it!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 9:57 AM   in reply to YvesPoletti

hmmm...We made sure we had an app approved before pushing the release of VB public. We will look into it...

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 15, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to John J Metzger

Adobe made the fix in the new Viewer Builder, but if I understand the situation correctly, Amazon needs to make a fix on their end to allow the AIR redirect to work. We're currently discussing the situation with Amazon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2011 2:59 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hey guys -

I just downloaded VB and it seems to be the same release # as before 1.7.0.

Is the .dmg on the dashboard today - capable of making Amazon Android Apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 9:58 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hey Bob,

Any update on the Amazon talks?

From the sound of the email posted above, Amazon has provided what they believe the AIR link should be.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 17, 2011 2:11 PM   in reply to Steven_Sokulski

mlipson - You should download "Viewer Builder 1.7.0 RC-2." If that's not downloading, you may want to clear the cache in your browser, remove Viewer Builder, and download again.

Steve - I haven't heard anything from Amazon. As I mentioned, my understanding is that we made a fix to the Viewer Builder on our end assuming that a fix would be done on their end. I heard from an Adobe tester that Amazon has not made the appropriate redirect on their end, so the .apk file is still pointing to the Android Market. That will cause the submitted viewers to get rejected. I pointed this out to Amazon and haven't heard back. I'm wondering if the stakeholders are gone for the holidays -- I'll be leaving myself for a couple of weeks, just checking email occasionally -- but I'm hoping the issue will be resolved soon. I'll let you know when I get any news.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob.

I did download the RC-2...although once installed I checked the release # and saw it was still 1.7.0.

I was sort of expecting a 1.7.1 or other increment.

I will go ahead and submit a new VB app to Amazon today...and advise of it gets approved.

BTW - thanks for posting the "Updated Viewer Builder Announcement" at the top of the forum - very helpful.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2011 1:25 AM   in reply to Mike Lipson

Adobe DPS is not very good at version numbering. This viewer builder

"release candidates" is proving this.

I'm glad I'm not in a position of implementing this on a huge client.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2011 10:56 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

So if we want to get something on the Amazon store, one solution would be a Zinio solution which has some limited interactivity such as video, slideshows and url redirects.

-Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 11:56 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

Has anyone been able to successfully submit a DPS app to the amazon app store ?Using the 1.7 RC2 version of the builder still causes a reject from amazon.

Your recent submission of RSNA News is pending due to the following reason(s):

Your app has failed a test case. Bug Description: The application crashes consistently. The user discovered that, when attempting to download and install the August 2011 edition of the RSNA News Journal, the application froze during the installation process before crashing and returning the user to the device's home menu with no error message. Steps to Reproduce: 1. Download and install the application on the target device. 2. Launch the application to the main library menu. 3. Select the "RSNA News August 2011" edition to download and install. 4. Note that during installation, the application progress bar stops briefly before the application crashes and the user is returned to the device's home screen. OS/Device(s)/Form Factor: Samsung i800 (Galaxy Tab) A SCH-I800.EH01

Please correct the issue(s) we found with your app submission so we may continue working to get it in the Appstore.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 5:24 PM   in reply to brian.kalbfleisch

Just to update everyone...we are still talking to Amazon about the AIR url. Its likely that we will need to put out another hotfix to viewerbuilder.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

John -

I just received essentially same rejection

paradise valley v 2.2.0.4.34817 exhibits consistent, reproducible instances of force closing when tested for compatibility on Kindle Fire. Currently the app Force Closes on launch. A logcat file has been attached to this email to assist you in troubleshooting the problem.

I had not sideloaded the 1.7 RC2 app onto my Kindle prior to re-submitting to Amazon for approval. I simply re-created the app in Viewer Builder then re-posted to Amazon. Now that I have loaded the RC2 build on my Kindle, it does in fact crash almost immediately after launch. It goes through the splash screen then force quits.

btw - Amazon has updated my Kindle OS to 6.2.1 if that is helpful as well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Dec 23, 2011 10:05 AM   in reply to JuergenBerk

The Adobe Content Viewer is now available in the Amazon Appstore for the Fire tablet.

We're still working with Amazon to fix the custom viewer problem.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points