Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Merge to PDF

Dec 20, 2011 11:40 AM

Tags: #word_2007 #merge_to_pdf #adobe_professional_8

Hi All

We have a word 2007 document mail merged template which we want to create a number of PDF documents from. We have manged to use the "Merge to PDF" option to create the requird PDF files but for some reason a number of embedded fonts are not being embedded.

If we choose the option to save to pdf from the Word toolbar this works fine apart from the fact we now have one massive PDF document rather than individual files as required.

Within the Adobe Distiller printer driver options we are choosing the following standard for the output file as this is a requirement for our local printers to be able to print the produced PDF files correctly. We cannot understand what in different in the output process in Adobe to be creating this problem.

adobe settings.jpg

Any help or ideas to why this happening would be appreciated

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2011 11:43 AM   in reply to Viper 66

Clear the Rely On Sytem Fonts only button.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to Viper 66

Please confirm a couple things.

You are Printing to the Adobe PDF Printer and not using the Acrobat button in Word?

You are using the PDF/X-1a preset shown. (This can be set as the default in the PDF Printer properties (from control panel) and/or be selected from the Properties tab in the print dialog).

The Standard preset option dictates that some fonts are never embedded, the PDF/X-1a preset dictates that all fonts be embedded. (From the edit button next to the preset, you could dig down to the fonts tab and see the fonts handling for the presets) Exception, some fonts prohibit font embedding, typically those obtained from Internet Free Font sites.

Can you post a shot of the pdf properties dialog showing the fonts tab?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to Viper 66

all of those fonts look to be set to never embed in the pdf standard option.

I have just replicated the problem...Merge to pdf doesn't seem to allow setting the pdf properties...

Well there's a surprise...Word ignored everything I tried.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 3:46 PM   in reply to Viper 66

This is out of my level here, but I'm thinking Batch Process. You can open each merged pdf, Preflight > Fixup > Embed Fonts > Close.

I've not had occasion to batch, but this is about as simple as one might get.

Researching...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

Advanced > Document Processing > Batch Processing

New sequence {enter name}

Select Commands > Preflight > Preflight > Add

Highlight Preflight in the Righthand Pane > Edit

From that resultant Preflight Batch Sequence Setup - Run Preflight Check Using drop down menu > Embed Fonts > Save

Ok, Ok, Ok >

The Batch Sequence dialog should still be open, choose your new embed fonts fixup > Run Sequence

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 5:37 PM   in reply to Viper 66

Just a couple of thoughts on the problem.

Using the "Merge to PDF" button evokes PDFMaker not the Adobe Printer. 

(Open a new Word document, From "Mailings", click the Merge button. Not being set up for a mail merge will evoke a dialog. Last item in this dialog identifies use of PDFMaker.)

So the Preference configuration of PDFMaker is were the desired Distiller job option needs to be set.

The font set associated with characters coming from the data source may be a variable.

Is it a font set that can be embedded?

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Viper 66

i have office 2010, and i can not figure out how to add the "merge to pdf" button?

i have adobe 8 pro installed on machine also?

any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to amos715

It's not available in Acrobat 8. You need to upgrade to the latest version.

[ link removed by forum host - commercial advertising is not permitted on these forums ]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points