• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot contact reliable source Error

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help.....  everytime I try to download a flashplayer I get this error at 12%.  I've tried everything...  I have vista, I've turned off norton, I've found the flashlog but don't know what it means.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your Norton and find the menu where you can disable the file scanner. You might be able to do that by right clicking the Norton icon in the systray. Choose to disable all shields if the option is available.

The installation is timing out because the Norton file scanner is interfering with the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I turned it all off and no luck    Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mishalee132 wrote:

Thanks, I turned it all off and no luck    Any other ideas?

Is this what you did? http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/1283

Before we do anything else, I need to know what browser you're using. If it's Internet Explorer is it version 8 or 9? Or are you using Firefox, Opera or some other flavour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, now I'm confused.  I don't have the option to select Enable/Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection.  I was just going into norton and just turning everything off.

I am using Internet Explorer 8.

Leaving for a few days so looking forward to getting this fixed.  Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Norton do you have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mishalee132 wrote:

Hmmmm, now I'm confused.  I don't have the option to select Enable/Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection.  I was just going into norton and just turning everything off.

I am using Internet Explorer 8.

Leaving for a few days so looking forward to getting this fixed.  Thanks so much for your help.

Can you check using instructions on how to disable Norton on this site please: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off your windows firewall [and antivirus firewall too if any] before you download and install adobe flash player. It works for me...hope it does for you too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heyy, i keep getting this error too at 12, 13, 18, and 33%!
i have tried what you said, yet i got nothing
any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To assist us in quickly understanding your problem, please follow these guidelines when posting:

• Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your Flash Player version 
  • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important 
  • Please do not use existing topics to append questions that are entirely different from the original topic. When in doubt create a new topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IE9, Windows7, 64 bit, Norton Security with everything turned off that I can find, Windows Firewall turned off, every Internet

Security Option turned off, Flash 11 removed months ago.  Nevertheless, 'Cannot contact reliable error",  Been without Flash 11 for a couple of months now.  Use other computers for Flash11 because I'm convinced Adobe Flashplayer doesn't work on IE9 64 bit systems, and that Adobe doesn't support Windows7 adequately or professionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To assist us in quickly understanding your problem, please follow these guidelines when posting:

• Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important 
  • Please do not use existing topics to append questions that are entirely different from the original topic. When in doubt create a new topic.

Have you tried doing a clean install?  How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Win 7 Home premium, and tried to download Flash Player from the ADOBE site itself  on my dialup at earthlink.net. I have a system less than 6 months old, and I am not a newbie. I have the same problem as many here. I download the installer.

I turn off my avast security. For some obscure reason the installer self-erases itself when I get the msg that "cannot contact reliable source error."  This only adds to peoples frustration, because I have to download the installer again and again..

This error msg about "cannot contact reliable source" doesn't make sense to people who seem to be able to download freely everywhere else. This  happens at 12 or 13 or X%  but not always the same %.

I understand this is a free download, but this cannot be doing ADOBE any good at all. We can't all be screwed up with the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your Flash Player version 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some_ticked,

Please see this FAQ for links to stand alone versions of the Flash Player installer that should resolve this problem.  In this FAQ there's also a link to a 3 question survey that allows you to give us feedback on our installation workflow.  We'd appreciate anything you can give us.

Where can I find direct downloads of Flash Player 11 for Windows or Macintosh?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the suggestions given earlier in this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir, in every way, probably now over four dozen times over the last six weeks without success on Windows7 IE9.  Upgraded Flashplayer11 successfully on XP just today.  "Cannot Contact Reliable Source" has to be one of the most ridiculous, absurd, meaningless error messages ever devised by man.  Norton is off.  Windows Firewall is Off.  Every IE9 option for security is set to low.  And guess what, I can connect to the Internet.  I've gone through all the motions for a clean install.  As a programmer myself for more than thirty years, I can tell when a piece of software isn't designed with error messages that tell the user what the real problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the name of the installer you downloaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the lateness of my reply.  I can only respond when I'm in town.  I downloaded the application install_flashplayer11x64ax_gtbp_chrd_aid on my Windows7 64 bit system running IE9 Version 9.0.8112.16421 Update Versions 9.0.4 Cipher Strength 256 bit.  I'll get to 12% downloaded and get the "Cannot contact reliable source error" with every Norton setting turned off,   Internet Security Medium, Local Intranet Low, Trusted sites low, Accept all cookies. Windows Firewall off.  Ran instructions for a clean install days ago.  Since my days of running Windows 3.1 with a 300 baud modem, never have I been this confounded for this long with any application of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 64-bit

Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Download and exit I.E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Download and exit I.E."  Sigh.  This time I got 13%, then "Cannot contact reliable source".  Of course, I haven't been running the application with IE up for six weeks, but I did what the man said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The downloaded file install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe(7.81 MB) does not have to contact a reliable source, it is a stand alone installer.

Let us try this again, find and delete ALL Flash Player installer files.

Download this file: Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Exit I.E.

Disconnect from the Internet.

Run the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution provided by Carl E. Myers above, #26, worked.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In this topic, the direct download link for the full installer has been posted 6 times!

I am going to close this topic, as it seems nobody is bothering to read earlier posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, no success on the IE9 Windows7 computer in downloading Flashplayer11.  However, here's a clue.  I downloaded an upgrade of Flashplayer11 on my IE8 XP computer, and by following instructions, I got the same error "Cannot contact reliable source".  So, then I didn't reply RUN, instead I replied SAVE to the first download question.  Upon completion of the download, the IE8 browers was closed.  By going to the downloaded exe & replying RUN to the second command, the run got by the 12% place where "Cannot Contact Reliable Source" appears.  At 57%, I was told by Adobe software to close SKYPE.  I did through the task manager, and the installation completed successfully.  Had I followed the Adobe instructions as provided, I'd have never completed this task successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines