Skip navigation
BillFlorida
Currently Being Moderated

Best setting for Canon VIXIA HF R21 for YouTube

Dec 20, 2011 2:24 PM

Tags: #resolution #youtube #mode #settings #premiere #elements #canon #recording

I am looking for the best or most optimal setting for shooting video with my Canon VIXIA HF R21 camera.

I am using a MacBook Pro laptop and Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

My goal is to produce the best quality videos for a "YouTube" channel. The videos will be for a teenage car show shot outdoors and narrated.

The current DEFAULT settings are:

Recording Mode = SP, 1440x1080

Bitrate = 7Mbps

Codec = MPEG4-AVC/H.264

Frame Rate = 60i

Digital Image stabilization = standard

Here are possible "alternative selections" - please let me know if any of these settings are better than the Default settings for YouTube.

Change Recording Mode to

1. MXP = 1920x1080 @ 24Mbps

2. FXP = 1920x1080 @ 17Mbps

3. XP+ = 1440x1080 @ 12 Mbps

Change Frame Rate to

1. PF30

Digital image stabilization

1. Dynamic

2. Standard

3. Off

I will use Adobe Premiere Elemebnts 10 to upload the final edited video - what setting are the best upload compression settings if I want to upload for the ebst quality?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2011 2:28 PM   in reply to BillFlorida

I'd use the default settings. They'll work best with Premiere Elements.

Then, make sure your Premiere Elements project is set up for AVCHD 1440x1080 and that your audio settings match your video (stereo or 5.1).

Then, if you'd like to get the best possible quality on YouTube, use these specs.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 3:28 PM   in reply to BillFlorida

They're talking about your output.

MXP and FXP are your highest quality shoots, of coruse. Just make sure you set up your Premiere Elements project for AVCHD 1920x1080 and match the audio specs.

Then, once you're done, give the output specs I linked to a try and post it to YouTube. I think you'll be happy with the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 6:02 PM   in reply to BillFlorida

The answers to your question are in the previous post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 9:04 PM   in reply to BillFlorida

Digital Image Stabilization can be useful for static, hand-held shots, but can cause severe strobing, if you are panning.

A tripod is always best, but if you plan on having the camera stationary, and are shooting at, or near the telephoto range of the lens, then DIS is good. If you are panning, I would not use it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 5:01 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

BillFlorida, I'm not sure what you're not getting here. Have you tried any of the things we've suggested?

There are two settings you need to worry about. One is your PROJECT setting. That must match your original footage, as I've indicated. If it doesn't, you're going to get poor performance and video quality.

The second setting is your OUTPUT setting. That's the only setting YouTube is interested in. If you use the output settings I linked you to above -- working from a project that's been set up properly -- you will get excellent YouTube results.

Try it. You'll see.

You'll also see, if you experiment a bit, that there's virtually no difference in the quality of FXP and MXP -- especially if you're going to display your video online. The important thing is that your PROJECT settings match that 1920x1080 AVCHD footage and that you use the YouTube output settings recommended in the FAQs.

Try it. You will see.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points