Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video resizing from the browser?

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I honestly don't know if this can be fixed within Cp, or if its soley an issue with the browser, but either way, if anyone knows or can direct me to the answer, I would be infinitely grateful...

I am publishing my Cp project and putting it online (Blackboard.com, if that matters), which works fine. The problem is that depending on what resolution the students' monitors are, the video may turn out to be too big or too small. The temporary (but bad) solution I thought of is to post two or three links on Blackboard (Bb), each with a different resolution that the student can choose based on their screen resolution. Here's the key thing that's driving me: A couple months ago, we had it so that when the browser was resized, it resized the Cp video with it. As a result of this, when the browser was full-screen, the Cp video was full-screen within the browser, i.e., no matter what resolution the student had, the Cp video would adjust to it. Here's the problem: For some reason, that stopped happening, and now, the video can't be resized at all within the browser. I know a lot about Cp, but practically nothing about integrating it with websites and stuff, so I'm yet to find out how to reproduce my past success. This is the only major problem with our system so far, and needs to be solved before we can launch, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would make me (and my boss) very happy.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you putting the SWF on BB or do you upload a package that contains not only the SWF but also the companion JS and HTML-files?

In the last case, you can change the HTML-file and replace the fixed width/height by 100%.  Beware: resizing to another size than the original always results in quality loss.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upload all three files. Here is what the first frame of the video normally looks like, for reference:

HTML normal.PNG

Based on what you said, I opened the HTML file in Notepad and changed...

var so = new SWFObject("Unit 2.swf", "Captivate", "1281", "985", "10", "#CCCCCC");

to...

var so = new SWFObject("Unit 2.swf", "Captivate", "100%", "100%", "10", "#CCCCCC");

When I did that, the first slide looked like this:

HTML 100.PNG

...and changing the size of the window doesn't affect the size of the video. Any idea why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard the last message. I followed these instructions, written by Jim:

http://captivatedev.com/2011/08/28/scaling-adobe-captivate-content-across-browsers/

...and now the results all look like the first pic above, but they still don't resize at all. Here's the entire new HTML script:

<!-- Copyright [2008] Adobe Systems Incorporated.  All rights reserved -->

<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<title></title>

<script src="standard.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<style type="text/css"> html, body, #CaptivateContent { height:100%; }

body { text-align:center; margin:0; padding:0; overflow:hidden; }

</style>

</head>

<body   bgcolor="#f5f4f1">

<div id="CaptivateContent"> 

</div>

<script type="text/javascript">

var so = new SWFObject("Unit 2.swf", "Captivate", "100%", "100%", "10", "#CCCCCC");

so.addParam("quality", "high");

so.addParam("name", "Captivate");

so.addParam("id", "Captivate");

so.addParam("wmode", "window");

so.addParam("bgcolor","#f5f4f1");

so.addParam("menu", "false");

so.addVariable("variable1", "value1");

so.setAttribute("redirectUrl", "http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash");

so.write("CaptivateContent");

</script>

<script type="text/javascript">

document.getElementById('Captivate').focus();

document.Captivate.focus();

</script>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian,

The html looks good.  The problems is probably caused by an inserted animation or widget that is preventing the scaling.  Are you using any widgets and if so, which ones?

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you may want to give this widget a try...

http://www.cpguru.com/2010/10/15/captivate-stage-scale-mode-and-widgets/

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might be the widgets, because I tried just creating a new, clean Cp file, and it worked fine.

How do you use that widget? Here's what the instructions look like to me:

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you either put it on the first or last slide... not sure which...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither worked... I set it to run for the "entire project", so unless that's a problem, it doesn't seem to help in my case. Is it just widgets that cause it, or flash animations also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be widgets or animations.  You'll have to do a process of elimination.  Make a backup copy of your .cptx project.  Remove one widget or animation at a time and republish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the plan. It'll take a while, but once I figure it out, will there be any way to fix the problem without loosing the animation? Is there a magic line of code that I can just stick into the Actionscript to make it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending that link. I haven't read the whole thing, but it seems really complicated so I'm gonna save it for once I know what I'm working with.

Also, do widgets not show up in the library? I know they're in the timeline, but I don't see them in the library at all. I wanted to make sure I got them all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so luckily none of my Flash animations were causing it. The culprits were the Cp Notepad widget, as well as a widget that I had custom-made a while ago, both by Flash-Factor. Yves won't give me the .fla file for his Cp Notepad, so I don't have access to the code to change it, and he gave me the files for the custom widget, but they're for Flash 5.5,  so I can't open them, since I'm using 5.0.

So basically, I'm out of luck unless I can get him to change it for me? Or is there another work-around?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any workaround.  You could download the trial for Flash 5.5 and use it for 30 days to make your changes.  Also, widgets do not live in the library, which is strange.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2011 Dec 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is strange. I wonder why they would do it that way. I also wonder why the question slides are practically impossible to use... but that's another issue.

Good idea about getting the trial version, but that wouldn't help me with the notepad widget, since I don't have the file. I wonder why anyone would design a widget without including that functionality?

Anyway, it sounds like I'm just out of options. If anyone has any more ideas, I would love to hear them. Thank you very much for your help, Jim, as usual.

Just two more forum posts to get answered, and I can finally be done with my unit... Yay.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources