Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Capturing input video from a DV camera

Dec 20, 2011 4:34 AM

I found that my old Sony HC90 DV camera makes a good video to Digital converter so I can make DVDs of my old family VHS tapes made over 15 years ago on a video only camera.

I set it up using firewire so that the VCR video is visible on the camera viewfinder and therefore also on the capture preview window of PE9.

As soon as I select Capture, the tape starts playing and cuts out the input VCR video.

If  I stop the tape playing on the camera, the PE9 capture also stops.

This means I cant capture any input video without the transport rolling.

If I record it all on camera tape I can replay this and capture it OK but everything will then take twice as long to do

Is there any way I can use the PE capture feature without it starting the tape transport as well so I can capture direct from VCR to Computer?

Alternately is there any other (hopefully free) capture program that doesnt also control the camera transport so I can just capture the video?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2011 4:41 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

What you're using is called a pass-through, Ted, and it's a great way to digitize video, if your camcorder includes this feature.

Unfortunately, you can't control you camcorders from Premiere Elements if you're using a pass-through, since the source camcorder isn't connected directly to your computer.

But otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything right!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 6:10 AM   in reply to Ted Smith

Ted,

When using the camera in pass-through, you will not want a tape in that miniDV camera, only the composite feed to it.

As mentioned, you will have no control over the VHS deck, as it only has the composite cables, which are one-way communication. I do similar with my A-D bridge. I start the Capture with my mouse, and immediately start playback with my deck's remote. With practice, there will be but 30 - 60 Frames of black at the beginning of that Capture, that are easily Cut from the Clip. That little lag also allows the deck to get up to speed too.

Without a tape in the camera, you should be able to do the Capture, with but a bit of mouse & button pressing. I keep the remote in my left hand, and the mouse in my right.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I would also hook the camera to the AC mains, or have a freshly charged battery.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2011 6:00 PM   in reply to Ted Smith

You just need to turn off the Device Control for the capture, Ted. Then you'll be able to capture your pass-through video without a tape in your miniDV.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 11:58 PM   in reply to Ted Smith

This is in 10 but should be same in 9. Edit > Preferences > Device Control > Devices: None.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Ted, is your OS Windows 7? (I'm curious to know if the other program you tried, CaptureFlux, worked in it). Also, are you using FireWire? or USB port?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 11:03 PM   in reply to Ted Smith

Thank you!

I think I will give it a try. I found a web page that seems to be the owners:  http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm  does that look like the correct page to you? His latest version is 6.0, and looks like it was done in 2008. Do you know of a more recent version?

I'm also trying to find a fire wire card for my computer (Dell XPS 8300)

I don't understand why they wouldn't include the firewire card, considering this is a great computer for video editing. I guess most people are using their computers for gaming and streaming and watching DVDs, not making them.

I have been able to import using PE10, but it seems a little glitchy.

I'm also going to try an updated version of the motionDV studio that came with my Panasonic.

Thanks again--

--Linda

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points