Yes it's definitely a PROXY settings problem! Read my blog post on this topic if you like. I spent really to much time trying to figure out how this ADE stuff works..
I recommend installing Explorer!!
I Finally got mine to work. I hadn't changed anything on my computer, but it just started giving me this error and the E_ADEPT_DATABASE error out of the blue. Nothing really worked. I tried redownloading the program, restarting my computer, changing my internet settings to "automatically detect...", yelling, anger, sadness, evil eye.. you get the point. Anywho, after several successful attempts, this is what works for me:
By the way, I run Win 7 and mainly use ff. Unfortunately, FF does not work with this.
I have tried this with FF and it did not work. I had to go back and "Allow" ade again.
Works in IE if I automatically detect... or not.
Is still annoying because it worked fine before. I want things back the way they used to be!
I know that this is somewhere on the Adobe site but I had a hard time finding it.
I know I talk too much but wanted to explain in detail (yes, I know it's a lot of detail.
After several attempts, I solved the problem by unistalling ADE and relaunching the download and installation from MS Explorer instead of Firefox.
MS Explorer prompts for identification elements otherwise not required.
I had this error occur. I was on Google Chrome when I downloaded ADE.
Found this forum, recognized that the browser could have been the problem.
I uninstalled ADE, opened Microsoft Internet Explorer,
downloaded from there, and ADE installed and opened without a problem.
Thanks for your help, forum people!
plz... help me...
i having the same trouble, i cant activate my ADE and keep getting this error message
i've done almost everything that has to be done but i just couldnt activate it
plz help me
by the im using Window Vista
I just got this error on a Windows Vista laptop using Firefox. I could run the program when I was logged in as administrator, and when I ran the program "as administrator" while a regular user it would open.
Uninstalling and reinstalling with Explorer solved the problem. Thanks!!
Message was edited by: SteveK82
I just ran into this problem on my old Vista laptop. When I first installed ADE 3 weeks ago, it worked fine. As of yesterday, I started getting the E_ADEPT_IO error whenever I tried to download an ePub book via .acsm (the ADE link format). Since first installing, I'd updated Firefox and I might have installed Vista Service Pack 1 (possibly before installing ADE though).
I didn't even think of trying a different browser, since it doesn't really make sense that the browser would affect the .acsm file -- I tried downloading the .acsm to my hard drive and opened it from there, and got the same error. I turned off that stupid User Access Control and added ADE to the firewall exceptions, but no dice.
I had to fire up IE for something else, and tried again by opening the .acsm link directly in the browser. It worked fine. Go figure. . .
This was helpful. I run Windows 7 and had the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and turned off my firewall but ran into the same problem until I right clicked on ADE in the start menu and clicked troubleshoot compatibility. The wizard switched the settings to the Windows XP Service Pack 2 settings and it worked brilliantly.
Vhattish, thank you so much for the detailed solution! I kept getting license and activation errors suddendly out of the blue with Adobe Digital Editions, and your fix to manually make a firewall rule in Windows 7 firewall fixed everything!!
I've always had my Win 7 wireless network set for a public network. Maybe some recent windows update make the public network firewall settings more strict and caused Digital Editions to not be able to authroize properly and license book correctly with adobe servers. Anyways, thanks again, you rock!
This is still true for ADE 2.0.
Except that ADE doesn't return any exception, when connection is established after several retries the authorization process is endless.
The firewall setting is correct
It works when downloaded with IE and not when downloaded with CHROME as I was doing.
Thanks for your help
I looked under accounts, as it was indicated that you should be logged in as an administator. Under the account details there are some setting wrt .net passport. I activited it for use with my computer, and suddenly ADE could also activiate and authorise.