Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

need a new digital camera - advice, please?

Sep 20, 2010 10:45 AM

My DX6490 Kodak digital camera started behaving erratically today when I was out taking pictures. This is the second time this occurred (the first time i happened was July 1, 2010), I got this camera brand-new in early August 2004 - so I believe its time for me to get a new digital camera.

Here are the things I hate about my current digital camera -

- doesn't take very good pictures in low light (dusk, dimly-lit places),

- I have to wait several seconds between shots and I often miss a good action shot (when using sport mode),

- have problems taking close ups, even in close up mode - camera will not accept close up nor wide angle lenses, etc.,

- I have to really back up far away from the subject I'm photographing just to get all of the surrounding area in the view finder when snapping a picture - sometimes this is awkward or inconvenient,

- sometimes when taking pictures of people using flash the people in front (closest to camera) are too light, people in middle lit normally, but people in back (farthest from camera) are too dark,

- camera doesn't focus very well in natural indoor light (like in a shopping mall, etc.) resulting in blurry pictures, pictures tend to be blurry even when using PASM mode without a flash;

ok, now for the things I like about my current digital camera -

- it allows me to photograph moving subjects (like kids running around during a basketball game) very clearly (it freezes the movement of the basketball players, resulting in clear, crisp still photos of the players when using sport mode (and the flash),

- the camera is lightweight, compact so I can hold it in one hand and just aim and shoot the subject (while using sport mode),

- the batteries (I have 3 of them) are infinitely rechargeable,

- the camera is 4 mega pixel.

so I'd like a recommendation of the latest digital cameras that have all of the things I like about my digital camera and none of the things I hate about it, such as, I want a camera that -

- is lightweight/compact, can hold it in one hand, aim and shoot in sport mode using one hand,

- accepts wide angle, telephoto, macro, close-up lenses,

- with a flash that illuminates a group of people (closest to/middle/farthest from camera) evenly,

- accepts the current batteries that I'm now using with my DX6490 Kodak digital camera,

- focuses very well when taking pictures in natural light (such as in a store, restaurant, or shopping mall, etc) resulting in clear, crisp photos, not too dark when not using the flash,

- which I can snap, snap, snap, continuously by pressing the shutter button repeatedly at every setting/mode that I'm using, resulting in clear, crisp photos without having to wait several seconds until the camera resets/reboots (as in the case with my DX 6490 Kodak) and missing a good shot that I want regardless of whether I'm using a flash or not,

- takes superb pictures in low light (dusk, dimly-lit places),

- accepts the current memory cards (SanDisk/SD) that I'm using now.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

My budget is approx. $300 - $400, but if I can get a camera that has all the features that I'm looking for cheaper the cost, so be it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2010 12:50 PM   in reply to angelalien548

There are a million point and shoot cameras out there to choose from.all i can tell you is look for one with a good optical zoom verses digital zoom, and you will never get away from the flash falloff problem you experience until you can bounce the light off the ceiling or a card with the flash head angled up. its the nature of light falloff. look up inverse square law to grasp it. you ask a lot from a little budget but in the time since your last purchase, quality has definitely gone up. also your current sd cards may be no match for higher resolution sensors that capture 10 times the data than your 4 megapixel did,so be prepared to update your cards to the 4 gig or higher range. i tell people to always shoot at the highest resolution their camera can take, so you can get the most out of it. people think just because they can get a thousand low res shots on a card that its great, but they are usually only good for 4x6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2010 1:20 PM   in reply to angelalien548

You are asking the same kind of questions I began asking in 2004. I will give you the same good advice I received. Long story short, I was advised to go for a low end DSLR with interchangeable lenses. Long story short, I did that… and owe a huge debt of thanks to my forum friends for guiding me right. At that time I bought the lower end Rebel and one lens. Within 8 months I was making money with the Rebel, so I sold it to a friend and upgraded to the 20D. A year later I upgraded again to the 5D. I am still using both of them and they are still performing beautifully. My design/photography business continues to expand. I had intended on selling quality gallery prints next year but had to start early as requests starting coming before I could offer them.

Even if you don't intend to use your equipment for business, you will not regret paying a little more for a DLSR. Your budget is almost there. Go to Costco or another discount store and see what you can get a Rebel for. It will be a much better investment.

Linda

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to LRK 2

Mijn Fuji FinePix S6500 fd is wel aardig maar, voor het echte werk niet; en daar komt nog bij, dat ik een goeie Apple  computer met een groot scherm van 27'' plus de nodige software zoals lichtstraat, photoshop, indisain, en illustrator onmisbaar zijn .

Laat het zien FREE Dutch

M,v,g.

Jaap Fieret

Ps. Let niet op de taalfouten AUB

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:10 AM   in reply to Smid-online

Mijn Fuji FinePix S6500 fd is WEL Aardig Maar, VOOR Het Echte Werk niet; en daar Komt Nog Bij, DAT IK EEN, goeie Apple-computer gehaald EEN-Groot Scherm van 27''plus de nodige software zoals Lichtstraat, photoshop, indisain, en illustrator onmisbaar zijn.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2011 4:26 AM   in reply to Smid-online

Mijn Fuji FinePix S6500 fd is WEL Aardig Maar, VOOR Het Echte Werk niet; en daar Komt Nog Bij, DAT IK EEN, goeie Apple-computer gehaald EEN-Groot Scherm van 27''plus de nodige software zoals Lichtstraat, photoshop, indisain, en illustrator onmisbaar zijn. graag advies

Message was edited by: Smid-online

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 10:28 PM   in reply to Smid-online

I have a Fuji Finepix 550EXR...16Mpix, 15x zoom, can take 1080p HDmovies has naturally some fancy settings like up to 360 deg panorama shots, I appreciate mostly that I can set it on Aperture Priority or Manual mode for more design options. I also like the 5cm Macro although my old Ricoh Caplio did 1cm macro.

I bought it for ard 220 Euro. Here a pic I took with it

DSCF0585 (800x600).jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 7:21 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Thats a nice close up of an ant,its looks like a large critter. There are some folks on 500px that have incredible ant shots if you care to look sometime.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 6:19 AM   in reply to Donald Reese

@Donald,

where can I find that place?

any link?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 9:14 PM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Less than two seconds in Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=500px&gbv=2&oq=500px&aq =f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5612l5654l0l11168l5l1l0l0l0l0l73l73l1l1 l0

How can folks still ask for a link after being given the name of a site?  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2011 1:40 AM   in reply to Tai Lao

Oh, I didnt know that 500px refers to a name of a site...

my pics I put on the web are usually 800px.

I looked through some images there but cant see any ants photographs.

Ants, wasps and naturally flowers are my favourite motives...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2011 1:48 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Just looked through 500px...have to see the first ants yet...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2011 3:55 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 3:39 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

This is the guy I was thinking of when I mentioned the ant photos. I think he must have a controlled environment to do these, but amazing either way.

500px / teguh santosa

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to angelalien548

There are a few issues to worry about when shooting in Raw, such as color space (Adobe 1998 vs. sRGB). I’ve used both color spaces, but sRGB is closer to most ink jet, pigment, and lab printers (the place where I get my photos printed requires sRGB). If you want all 12-bits of color (as opposed to the 8-bits of a JPEG) you will need to store your image as a TIFF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to terrypasencio

Raw has no color profile until you run it through camera raw and select adobe rgb or whatever option you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Donald Reese

What Donald says.

When you shoot raw, whatever color space you set in your camera is utterly irrelevant.

A raw capture is essentially a very, very dark grayscale, linear image that contains nothing that a human eye would perceive as color.  It's only the color space you choose in your raw conversion software that counts.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Wow, that's a very nice shot..

I would surely consider to buy a Fuji cam soon..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:25 PM   in reply to angelalien548

There are several camera out there with different brand names! Mostly digital cameras are known for two brand names! One is Nikon and Second one is Canon! Actually both are competitors of each others but if you are talking about quality, both are doing their jobs in a very best way!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points