Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cant use Audition to record...sample rate problem

Dec 21, 2011 8:58 PM

Hello,

I tried to record a track using my microphone.

UNFORTUNATELY I can do what I want and always get following error:

CS5_12.jpg

How to overcome that? Where do I correctr the settings?

BTW: is there a way to record system sound, too?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 22, 2011 1:10 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Hi.

In order to have any chance of being able to answer your question we need a lot more information.

e.g. Is this on a PC or Mac?  What OS?  What type of mic are you using?  What, if any, audio interface?  What sample rate are you trying to use?

When this is supplied we might be able to offer more ideas.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 2:54 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Are you using MME drivers?

I think there are 3 things you want to make the same - the sample rate of your input device, the sample rate of your output device, and the sample rate of the project in Audition.

It sounds like you've set the project and input to 44100 - have you also set the sample rate of your output device (maybe your speakers, or a line output on your computer) in the windows control panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 5:06 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Windows 7 (and Vista before it) are a pain for any serious audio because the OS tries to take control of things away from applications like Audition--and it lets other apps like Media Player and so on grab the sound device and change things even if you don't want them to.

Go to your control panel and click on "Sound".  In the Record menu (there are tabs at the top) and then right click on the device you want to record.  Go to the "Advanced" tab for the device and this should give you a drop down menu to set the sample rate and bit depth you want to use.  Set the details you want as "default" unless you have a reason not to.

Save this, then go back to the sound control panel and do the same for the Playback device you want to use.

Finally, in Audition, do the same in Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware.

Once you have everything matching, you should be okay--until the next time Win 7 decides it knows better what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 3:08 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

Windows "standard" audio setting is 44.1k/16 bit.  There are other settings available with most drivers and most current chips.  If the OP is actually looking to record at 44.1k/16 and is trying to do so from or while iTunes or Real Player or any such thing is spinning MP3's at various and sundry other rates that will definitely cause issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 5:03 PM   in reply to TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack wrote:

Windows "standard" audio setting is 44.1k/16 bit.  There are other settings available with most drivers and most current chips.

This isn't actually stricty correct. That is the CD audio setting.

According to the Microsoft audio development team, the default sample rate in Vista was set to 48kHz, and this default was changed by Microsoft in Windows 7 to be 44.1kHz.  However, my tests with new installations on Lenovo and Acer laptops indicate that these default settings are not adhered to. My recent Win 7 Lenovo Thinkpad defaulted to different "default" sample rates for record and playback on the Realtek system . So, "out of the box" it would cause Audition to correctly post an error message.

This is a complete mess, and the only sensible approach is to decide on a sample rate and set everything in sight manually to that sample rate. This needs to be checked every time before you use Windows 7 for serious recording, and you need to know that there may be a separate Realtek control panel which may or may not follow the Windows settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2011 5:25 PM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Many years ago I had Soundforge. There you could set whatever sampling rate you wanted and it always worked.

....less to do with Soundforge vs. Audition and more to do with Windows 98 or XP vs Vista/Win7.  Windows 7 just tries to get too clever and automate too many functions that you'd prefer left alone.

Wild_Duck, my Toshiba with a Realtek had the same split between playback and record settings...my guess is that the 48kHz is set that way because they assume I want to play lots of videos on my "multimedia" PC.

My personal "sensible approach" is to totally forget Toshiba and the Realtek for any serious recording and use only external devices.  Ironically, this led to me getting a mismatch between my DM1000 and the Profire Lightbridge yesterday---but at least that was MY fault (I'd had the mixer out for a live job) and not some automatic software knowing what's best for me!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 3:51 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

XP works well for audio use...but beware Vista and W7.  They CAN be made to work but things that should be simple become a struggle when you have to defeat the OS at every turn.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 4:17 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

It really is best to use a separate audio interface when doing any pro work with Win 7 and Audition. Microsoft just causes too many problems with any onboard soundcard when trying to do serious audio recording/editing.

Season's Greetings.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Some of this is a bit disinenuous.  I don't know any "professional" audio engineer that is using on-chip audio.  All pro engineers I know-on PC based machines-are using ASIO and professional level interfaces whether PCIe or 1394.  The OS is a non starter in that regard.  For all the crying about Win7, I just haven't had the issues or problems that seem to make it grossly inadequate for some of my colleagues on this forum. 

Is it different than 98? Yes.  Is Vista a pig and a moderately non functional OS? Yes. Win7 is still a valid and useful and I will say it, perfectly decent operating system.  If one wants professional results then the first thing one should do is stop utilizing the Realtek and related chips.

Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack wrote:

Some of this is a bit disinenuous.  I don't know any "professional" audio engineer that is using on-chip audio.  All pro engineers I know-on PC based machines-are using ASIO and professional level interfaces whether PCIe or 1394.  The OS is a non starter in that regard.  For all the crying about Win7, I just haven't had the issues or problems that seem to make it grossly inadequate for some of my colleagues on this forum. 

Unfortunately (perhaps for them?) I know many many professional audio users who mix and match external asio, external wdm, internal on-board wdm drivers. They may not be engineers, although some will be, but they are professionals. An external audio interface running wdm drivers may well be affected by Microsoft settings.

The people I know use laptops, and include professional music writers and critics, broadcast and print journalists, composers, forensic experts and so on. They need to be able to play back occasionally over the laptop speakers and, if they have to listen or work with material from on-line sources, they will often have to use the wdm drivers with their professional audio interface.

Many of them have moved successfully from XP to Windows 7, but they do have to be aware of the possible problems. I find that it takes time to get them set up and running comfortably in Windows 7, but it can be done.

The trouble is that this software is used by so many people in so many different circumstances.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to Wild_Duck

Fair enough.  I can't say I have never played back on native chips by any means, either.  It takes time to get used to new fancy tv remotes but end users seem to be much more eager to do that or learn the control buttons for new PS3 games than to spend the very minute amount of time necessary to learn a DAW setup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points