Skip navigation
AwdatPazzles
Currently Being Moderated

Dashed Path Output to 3rd Party Device

Dec 28, 2011 8:00 AM

I need to output dashed paths to a 3rd party device that will draw/cut those dash marks on material.  I have found methods in the AI SDK that describe what the dash marks look like (ie GetPathStyle, etc).

But this requires me to perform all the calculations of where those dash marks actually appear along a path which Illustrator has already done (since it displays those dashes to the screen).

Is there a method(s) that already exists that I can call and it would return me the start and end points of each dash mark that appears on a path?  I have started working on the code to do this but can see that it is going to get pretty involved and was hoping that this was already available in the sdk and I just missed it.

I did search the forums but didn't see anything discussed along these lines.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to AwdatPazzles

Like what you would get if you "Expand Appearance" from within Illustrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 1:12 PM   in reply to AwdatPazzles

A couple of dumb questions:

1) kExpandStroke doesn't do the trick? It feels like it should be the one you want. But I assume you've tried that?

2) Have you tried calling Expand twice? Since you seem to do need to do it twice using the UI?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 2:26 PM   in reply to AwdatPazzles

You seem to be running Expand on the same art handle over and over, but the results of the first Expand() may not be stored in that handle (they might be, I'm not actually sure). If not, you might see better results if you can find the Expaned art and run it on that your second time.

One way to test this is to use the debug window. If you press ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+F12 (use Cmd & Apple in places of ALT & CTRL if you're on a Mac) and you should get a floating panel pop up. If you scroll down in it, you can see the handles of all the art. So if you keep it simple, you can select the line and see what the handle address is (e.g. 01123da41f). Then run the Expand once. If you see that's the only art then you're doing all you can. I suspect you'll see that you end up with a whole bunch of new art though, and you should try running Expand on that a second time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points