Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

ACR 6.6 hangs PS5

Dec 13, 2011 9:06 AM

Tags: #cs5 #bug #camera_raw #6.5 #6.6

This morning I upgraded from ACR 6.5 to ACR 6.6.  Under 6.6, when I do a "Save Image" (lower left of ACR screen), it hangs PS and I have to do a Force Quit out of PS.  On the other hand, if I do an "Open Image" from 6.6, I get into PS OK and can successesfully Save AS from PS to the same folder I wanted to write to with Save Image.  But saving images one at a time from PS is a little tedious!

OS X 10.6.8

PS 12.0.4 x64

Bridge 4.0.5.11

How can I make this problem go away?  Do I have to revert to ACR 6.5?  If so, how do I do that?

Jim Thomas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Can you please go to this location:

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS5/File Formats

and make sure you only have one Camera Raw.plugin file in that folder? If there's more than one, Get Info on each, and keep the version 6.6 one in that folder, and move any others out of that folder.

Another thing to try is to repair permissions on your hard disk, especially if you haven't done so in a while:

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Select your hard disk on the left, and select Repair Disk Permissions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Can you also specify what type(s) of files you are using (i.e. NEF, CR2, etc.)?  And how often does this issue arise?  I was not able to encounter this issue on an identical setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 2:07 PM   in reply to JATinNH

Jim,

First, our testing department is looking into this issue.

Second, to revert back to CR 6.5, you do not need to uninstall Photoshop. Just remove the Camera Raw.plugin file in the location above, and download the 6.5 version of Camera Raw, and install it. You can download it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5259

tina

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2011 9:04 PM   in reply to JATinNH

Jim,

Unfortunately, manually removing the Camera Raw plugin and running a previous Camera Raw Updater will not successfully reinstall the previous version of Camera Raw.

Please feel free to email me at johnkwon@adobe.com with a sample set of files that you are experiencing this issue with.  This will make it easier for us to try and diagnose the issue.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Jim,

Glad you got 6.5 back up and running.

Please shoot me an email and I will reply with further instructions.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to johnkwon9

You can try to clear cache of camera raw 6.6. I think that helped me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to norimbo

We are still looking into this issue. In the meantime, instead of force quit, let it ‘hang’ for a few minutes (I heard 1min to 5min), and the file should eventually open. After the file is opened the first time, plugin should be perform afterwards.

Thanks,

Michelle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 11:23 AM   in reply to JATinNH

So Im not alone. But for me its much more annoying because usually I open 1000 - 2000 RAW files. And in 6.6 any time Licensed Standard Photoshop CS5 could hang. And it can be in any moment - when deleting file or just switch from one to another in list. Or when I make changes to the group of foto. And it could be when I open 2000 foto - or just 200. And again for its very sad because foto is my hobby not work - and I didnt have much time for it - before 6.6 I could early in the morning open fotos - make changes for some and stay all to evening when after my son go to sleep I can process rest of it.

My camera - Sony SLT A77

files in ACR format.

PC i7-2600K, 16 Gb RAM, 64 Gb SSD System, 600 Gb WD 10 rpm HDD for Adobe cache, GTX 580 video. Win 7 64 bit (Using only 64 bit CS too) Max - license.

And I have several questions -

1) Why xmp files didnt generates at moment when  I make correction to foto? But makes modified file with size of original foto in cache folder.

2) Why ACR didnt use memory  (I allow him 12 Gb of memory usage) but when I open 2000 files 25 - 26 Mb each - only 20 - 22% of memory is used (and 15% is usually grabbed by system at startup)

3) Why when CS crashed after all I couldnt got back my edits of pictures from cache - there is all modified files - but I couldnt open them myself - and CS didnt use them when I open original RAW again after crash.

4) Why there is no CS official plugin management - for now I must reinstall Photoshop - made all updates except ACR automatically - and after that manually install ACR 6.5?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 8:25 PM   in reply to JATinNH

Thanks Jim. Yes, I meant to post to the “open hang” thread. Thanks for pointing it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2011 1:00 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem!!!

I am using Win 7 64 bit, Photoshop CS5 (64bit) and just upgrade camera raw 6.5 to 6.6 and now some random Nikon D700 NEF file freezing the photoshop. And also when I force close program from task manager, sometimes it also damage the NEF file aswell!!!

So this is serious problem for me.

Hope you will fix it soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 6:35 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Same problem here. ACR 6.6 freezes even if switch from one image to another.

I need an advice - how to recover my changes of pictures when ACR is freezed now and I can not save .xmp ? Is all my work on hundreds of pictures gone??? I think there must be some cache files, where ACR have common changes saved. Or is it only in ram?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Polibmi

Polibmi, which platform are you on?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 10:22 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Win7 ultimate 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to JATinNH

I got the same problem . when upload acr 6,6  hangs PS5 and Britge

Sistem MAc pro 2 x 2,26 ghz  Quad-core

PS5 :12.0.4   32 B

BRITGE : 4.0.5.11

DESOLATE, NOT WORK , I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to JATinNH

The same problem. When upload about hundred pictures ACR 6,6  hangs PS5 and damage some some NEF files.

Camera: Nikon D3

PS5 12.0.4 x64

Windows 7 64bit, 6.1 Service Pack 1

i7 CPU, 8GB

Somebody tried to install ACR 6.5 again?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to jiri.t

Yes and this completly remove problem. You need do It manually - there is no official option of downgrade update just manual from old update file -

here is step by step solution http://forums.adobe.com/message/4089670#4089670

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to JATinNH

Still there is no any info from Adobe. If they will say taht we must purchase upgrade to CS6 - it will be no fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to AlexOzerov

Hello! Can anybody tell - was that problem fixed in 6.7 RC1 version. I didnt want to make experiments on own fotos - too much fotos too low time to workout.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Alexey Ozerov

Yes, it should be fixed in ACR 6.7 RC.

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Automatic update is offering me ACR 6.7 - is this error fixed in this version? Can't see it in http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_6.7_ReadM e.pdf .

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Polibmi

For me - yes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers