Skip navigation
jimmyCMS2012
Currently Being Moderated

TouchUp Reading Order tool moves or just deletes page content!?

Dec 29, 2011 2:01 PM

Tags: #bug #reading #order #508 #touchup

Using Acrobat X to make documents 508 compliant. I've had a number of issues when trying to tag a figure, it ends up moving the figure to a different page or deleting it altogether. Also I've has issues when trying to adjust the reading order, content is moved or deleted.

How can adjusting structure completely delete content? Really bad bug. Is anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to jimmyCMS2012

Hi, thanks for bringing your question over.

Is the PDF something you can share so I can give it a look-see? Preferably a before and an after.

I tend to do my work in the Tags panel and visit the Content panel and TORU only when I must.

If needed, a free Acrobat.com account supports upload of PDF and creation of a "share" link. .

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to CtDave

I am having the same issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended. I've created a document in InDesign (which I've tagged with XML tags) and exporting it to pdf. When I go into the Order Panel of the TouchUp Reading Order tool to order the elements in the document, and drag an element to change it's order, some elements no longer display full content. This seems to happen only with tables, where when I re-order them some of the cell values dissapear.

I can't find a way in Acrobat or InDesign to fix this issue. As the other poster noted, this is a really BAD bug. Is there a solution?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to lammonite

TORU typically shows "chunks" of Block Level Structure Elements (BLSE).

Consequently, trying to use TORU to order content can (and does) create z-order diffuculties.

Content objects gets tucked behind other content objects.

Avoid TORU for working the "order" of structure elements (tags).

Always work on the structure tree from within the Tags panel.

If the proper tags are used with the proper observance of Tag semantics the document's logical hierarchy will be properly established.

As it is the structure tree that AT uses have a well-formed structure tree the goal.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to CtDave

Thank you for your comment. However I do not think this is a workable solution.

My structure in the tags panel is ordered correctly, and the document exported from inDesign is tagged and ordered correctly. However, when I look at the reading order tab the reading order is wrong. I need to use the reading order tab to reorganize the order in which items are read by screen readers (this is as according to Adobe training, e.g. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/accessibility-adobe/preparing-indesign-files -for-accessibility/). Is there another tool that will allow me to organize the reading/tab order (without deleting some of the content in my tables)?

I am also having the additional problem that sometimes, not always, when I use the reading order panel to reorganize reading order, my tables lose their tagging as tables - I am worried that this will mean screen readers will not recognize the data as a table and will not read it accordingly (by header cell and then content cell).

Can you provide any help?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to lammonite

You really, really want to avoid the read order panel. 99 and 44/100 ths of the time.

The remainder of cases you'd enter with trepidation.

The Read Order panel and, to a lesser extent, TORU put the Tagged PDF in harms way when used as the primary work environment.

fwiw - When I set out to acquire understanding of Tagged PDF I had the misconception that read order panel and TORU were "the tools".

That lead to one gobbered PDF after another.

Regardless of what the InD tutorial may allude to AT (NVDA, JAWS, Windows-Eyes, etc.) use the Structure Tree (in the Tags panel) not the read order panel content.

Duff Johnson has a "must read" article that relates to this topic.

http://www.appligent.com/talkingpdf-eachpdfpageisapainting 

(Each PDF Page is a Painting - Why PDF "reading order" is irrelevant to accessibility)

Be well...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points