Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.1.0 distiller ICC profile error asks for reinstall

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows XP professional, SP3.

My Systems Administrator recently upgraded my Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 to 9.1.0 and since then I keep getting an error that says: Distiller cannot find its standard ICC profiles. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat to correct this problem.

This error happens when:

1. I print to Adobe from a web page (IE 7.0.5730.11 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20)

2. I try to print to any printer from certain websites, such as the usps.com, where I print all our postage labels from.

3. Occasionally when I start up the PC.

Sometimes I get the error but it still pdfs the page. Usually, though, it hangs and then Acrobat and the web browser close.

I seem to be able to pdf MS Office 2007 items (Word, Excel) and my Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 records. I guess it's when I'm "printing" to Adobe as opposed to "saving as pdf" that I have this problem.

Acrobat 8 worked fine. My Sys Admin has reinstalled the upgrade twice (after trying a repair which didn't work) to no avail. He can't find any documentation about this error at Adobe, so he's going to uninstall it and switch me back to Adobe 8.

I do all of the pdf'ing of our deliverable documents at my company and I would like to have the latest edition of Acrobat. If anyone knows of anything I can do, please let me know.

Thanks!
Stephie
TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm not seen this error before,
I assume your distiller setting will have been set to Standard pdf settings. Next time you try to create a pdf via the adobe pdf printer, click on the properties button with the pdf printer selected and change the default settings from standard to either press or high quality.

Does that still bring up the error?

There's 2 locations distill will try and obtain it's colour profiles from:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles

make sure your user account has permissions to access either folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I installed on 4 desktops just fine. However this one when the user logs in she gets the "Distiller cannot fine standard ICC profiles..." error after the login screen and when she makes PDFs (everything seems to work OK though, just the odd error message). When administrator logs in it is fine. I checked paths, uninstalled and re-installed as the user (with admin rights - then changed them to normal user) and still have the problem. It is a rights issue, because once I make her "administrator" she doesn't get the error message. It doesn't work setting her to a power user. I have tried setting rights for the suggested folders (actually set her full rights to the "drivers" folder as well as the "PF\CF\Adobe" folder.) I also tried giving full rights to the pdf printer object as well.

Still working on it, but would love some more options. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In answer to Simon, I only seem to have the problem when it is going with the standard ICC profiles, not when I specifically pick another profile like high quality print. The problem with that, though, is that I can't pick another in many of these web printing instances. For example, I'm not even choosing Adobe as my printer when I'm at usps.com. I'm choosing an actual printer to print my label to, but usps.com uses Adobe somehow because their instructions say that to print a label from their site "Your system may require a first-time only download of Adobe® Reader® software, Version 5 or higher." It doesn't matter what printer I choose to print my label to, I get that error, it hangs, and I have to cancel, get a refund for the labels they already charged me for, and then go to another PC and go through the whole thing again.

That's interesting about the rights issue. I'll let my sys admin know about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this. I tried to "shotgun" rights by giving the user modify to each main root directory: (i.e. c:\windows, c:\program files, etc.) in an effort to figure out what it didn't like. I went through the entire thing, then just did C:\ and still got the same error when using it with the user.

So then I gave the user all rights to all printers (I figure what the heck.) Still same problem. So just to check my sanity I made sure that all I did was make the user part of local admin and no more error message. Made the user part of "power users" instead and got the error message.

So now I'm thinking registry access rights at this point as it is odd in that the user can have modify rights to the entire c: drive and it give the error, but when given local admin rights it works just fine.

Also like I mentioned it doesn't seem to keep the pdf process from working, it just gives the error: "Disiller cannot find its standard ICC profiles" "Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat to correct the problem" (which of course I have)you click OK and then it goes about working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stephie, Do you have InDesign installed on the same machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I'm not replying twice.

First - it doesn't always work with me. It does keep the pdf process from working in some cases. In other cases it just gives the error but still works.

Second, Jim, I used to have Adobe InDesign CS2 version 4.0.5 on that machine but I uninstalled it to put on my laptop. I noticed that there are still things left from that installation that never got deleted, but since I also have Dreamweaver 8, Filemaker 10 Advanced Pro, and Photoshop 6, all of which are Adobe products, I didn't get rid of anything that looked like it might have been left over. I wasn't sure what was being used by what. And I also still have folders for Adobe Acrobat 6, 7, and 8.

In our company I am the only one who was upgraded from Acrobat 8 to 9. Everyone else went from 7 to 9. I am also the only one with InDesign (though I've uninstalled it now) and with Dreamweaver and FM Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also add that I have 3 PCs right now with most of these softwares on them ... except not Adobe 9. Even so, the Adobe files seem to all be in different places on each computer, which I don't understand. I have a desktop at home running XP Professional (SP2 instead of SP3 like on my other 2). My laptop runs the same S/W as the work PC which is the one giving me the problem, except that I only have Acrobat 7 on my laptop and I have the InDesign CS2 on it.

My sys admin is taking the Acrobat 9 off my work PC tomorrow because I can't do my job with this problem with the Distiller ICC profiles. I'm getting a new laptop next month (we all have to go to encrypted drives) so he will put my Acrobat 9 on that. I just realized though, that it will be an upgrade, not a new install. I will see what the possibilities are for getting a new install with 9 so I don't have to worry about files from a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephie for the info. This person that is having the trouble here is my only one with InDesign CS2 installed as well. Just checking. (Working on it today and will post if I come up with some type of "fix")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:<br /><br />1. Uninstall Acrobat 9.1<br />2. search and delete all references to "acrobat" in the registry<br />3. delete the acrobat files under docs and settings\<user>\app data\adobe as well as docs and settings\<user>\local settings\app data\adobe<br />(or wherever your profile settings are)<br />4. Reinstalled Acrobat with a FULL install.<br /><br />She is up and running now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the uninstall/reinstall - so much work in the registry, and improbable to get all keys.  I downloaded the ICC profiles from the Adobe site, installed it according to instructions, and - poof! - no more problem.  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=62&platform=windows

Cheers,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Tech support was most helpful on this.  First download the updated

Distiller ICC profile files at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4075&fileID=3790

Unzip the file and copy only the *.icc files (without regard to the subfolders that they are in - in other words, take the files out of each of the subfolders) to the followng folder in Windows 7:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

These new files will probably overwrite some old ones.

This solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I'm running Acrobat 9 Pro, which came with the CS5 Master Collection and recently I've started experiencing this ICC error as well. I followed your download link but it's for CS4. Does it work for CS5 as well or will it cause a problem? My OS is Win7, 64bit.

Regards,

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this today, but am still getting the error on startup.  Is there anyone that can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Tech support was most helpful on this.  First download the updated

Distiller ICC profile files at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4075&fileID= 3790

Unzip the file and copy only the *.icc files (without regard to the subfolders that they are in - in other words, take the files out of each of the subfolders) to the followng folder in Windows 7:

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

These new files will probably overwrite some old ones.

This solved the problem for me.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is actually the best solution though I found that instead of copying all the .icc files to the windows\sys...  folder, all you need to do is copy the 3 Video files from the RGB folder (VideoHD.icc, VideoNTSC.icc, and VideoPAL.icc).  Once you add these three files to  c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color  you will be good to go.

It seems that this was an error on the part of Adobe in that there is no reason to include Video files for printing.  Nevertheless, the distiller will look for these and return the ICC profile error message if those files are not present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your mail. I am out of the office from 23 December until Tuesday 3 January 2012 and will have limited access to emails.

You can email enquiries@gbatbeckenham.co.uk for any matter that may require attention during this time. If you enquiry is urgent, you can contact me on +4479 3255 8974. If I am not immediately available, please leave a Voice Mail with your contact details and I shall respond as soon as possible.

Please accept my compliments of the season.

Best regards,

Graham Austin

(Director, GBat Beckenham)

www.gbatbeckenham.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines