Skip navigation
John Dimick
Currently Being Moderated

Where to map "My Documents"?

Dec 30, 2011 12:50 PM

I am building a new home PC. In addition to using it for the usual office and recreational purposes, I also want to use it to learn Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.

My immediate problem is that I'm not sure where to place "My Documents"  on this machine. (I always map My Docs to a disk separate from the OS, which makes data backups much easier.)

I've been studying Harm's Generic Guide for Disk Setup and I'll be setting up the new box with four or five HDDs according to that guide. However, it's not clear to me where "My Documents" should be mapped in order to cause the least interference with aims of the Generic Guide. "My Documents" will have to share a disk with the scratch disks or the media assets or something, but not with the OS.

So where should it go? Or, perhaps a more useful question, where should it NOT go?

I'm using a 256GB SSD for the OS and programs. The rest of the data/cache will be distributed among three or four 1T WD Black Caviars.

Thanks,

John Dimick

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to John Dimick

John,

The reason you did not find that specific information is that it does not really matter. When editing you do not access documents at the same time, whether they are .DOC, .DOCX or .XLS files.

In my personal case I have My Documents on a network drive, not on any local drive. That allows me to sync the complete folder with my laptop as well, so I always have full access to My Documents when on the road.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points