Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

OCZ Vertex3 for laptop system disk - or not

Dec 31, 2011 3:22 AM

I'll soon get a new laptop and I plan to change the original 750 GB system disk to OCZ Vertex 3 120GB.

I'm going use the laptop for Production Premium CS5.5 and InDesign CS5.5 when I travel.

Is the 120 GB size enough for system disk and Adobe programs?

I'll buy another 750 GB and make external USB3 (R)aid0 set for material and projects.

I have noticed here some concerns about OCZ SSDs, is there any reason to avoid that brand?

I just have one spare OCZ waiting to get to the real work....

pena

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2011 3:38 AM   in reply to pejaka

For a laptop a SSD makes sense, provided you have another internal SATA 7200 disk and some eSATA externals or in the worst case USB3 externals. OCZ does not have a great reputation. A Crucial M4 may be way better.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 3:44 AM   in reply to pejaka

Pena,

Yes, avoid OCZ and others with a SandForce controller for now; the number of firmware updates and serious user complaints are too high for something so mission critical as your OS/program drive for a laptop. Crucial (C300 or M4) and Intel (320 or 510) are both excellent choices and still perform very well for your intended purpose.

Even if you don't go with a larger laptop that can hold 2 or 3 2.5" drives, many laptops can take a SATA connected 2.5" drive bay in the optical bay slot. You would have to more your optical drive to a cable connected configuration, but personally I think this is more desireable than having the optical in the laptop and having to have a connected drive any for your data. Check out newmodeus.com if your laptop vendor does not have this option.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 8:29 AM   in reply to pejaka

>120 GB size enough for system disk and Adobe programs?

I use 51Gig for Win7 64bit Pro + CS5 Master Collection + MS Office 2007 + all other 'misc' software I use

120Gig is plenty large

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to pejaka

Pena,

Regarding 2 drive capacity with your laptop, that is excellent!. I'd go:

1st drive - 120GB or 128GB SSD

2nd drive - 500 or 750GB HD

optical bay - Blu-ray or DVD burner

USB 3 - use for CS5/5.5 media cache, media cache DB, and render outputs to speed things up considerbly; also, if you are ever needing to run things without the USB 3.0 connected, you still can, it will just be a bit slower.

Regarding heat and power supply, that is a concern when CS5/5.5 is really working hard, however the big users of power and causes of heat are the CPU and GPU.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to pejaka

Hi pejaka!

Be carefull with OCZ Vertex 3. 2 months ago I returned my 240GB Vertex 3, because totally dead after 3-4 months.I used in my desktop for Premiere Media cache and preview files.

Now it was Christmas time I went to countryside with my laptop, where I also used OCZ vertex 3 for system drive.3 days ago this ssd also completely dead.

First time I got back my money, and I bought corsair Force 3.Till now still works.Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to pejaka

I have had great success with multiple Crucial SSDs and am about to venture into the world of Corsair Force Series 3. Both brands use the Marvell controller, which has been very reliable and trouble free. Oh yeah, and very fast! Something's up with the SandForce controller and Sandybridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to pejaka

pena,

That 400-second total time result is quite typical for an i7-26xxM series CPU, which (for the most part) does not have quite enough clock speed compared to its desktop siblings that have similar-looking model numbers. In fact, it is below the result I had achieved with even a default-speed, Turbo-Boosted i5-2400 desktop PC with a similarly fast hard disk.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points