Skip navigation
ckunce
Currently Being Moderated

How can I generate my own InDesign ePub file without the encryption.xml file?

Dec 30, 2011 2:15 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5 #epub #indesign_epub

My bookstore (B&N) will not accept my ePub file because it doesn't want the file encryption.xml included. How can I generate an InDesign ePub file, for my own books, without it? Is there a check box somewhere? I've searched through the ePub export box and the file info boxes—no luck.

Error message from B&N's PubIt.com:

We have found a file name called encryption.xml within your ePub file container, which means that part of, or all of, your file is encrypted. We do not accept any encryptions within ePub source files. Upon closing this message, please remove the encryption.xml file from your ePub, and you may attempt to upload your ePub file again.

If you wish to apply DRM to your title, go to Section 4, question H and select Yes. PubIt! will apply DRM to your title after you have uploaded your ePub file without encryption.

Thanks for your help…

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2011 3:49 PM   in reply to ckunce

Don't include embeddable fonts and in theory ID will not include the encryption.xml file.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to ckunce

>.. I did limit my typefaces to only Times ...

But did you try Mike's suggestion of not including them at all? It's a checkbox in the Create Epub dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to MW Design

Sorry I wasn't clear. Don't embed fonts at all. Any.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • rontiara
    82 posts
    Jul 2, 2009
    Jan 2, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to ckunce

Mike -- You mentioned that you unpackaged your epub file and deleted the unwanted .xml file.  Which program did you use to do that?  I opened mine in Sigil, but I don't see an .xml file.  I did notice, however, that there is a folder named "fonts".  I wonder if deleting that would solve the problem, or make a worse mess.  I'm scared to try! 

But mostly I'm wondering which program you used to unpack the epub.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to rontiara

rontiara,

That was ckunce who unzipped it. I imagine Stuffit will unzip it. Rename the file temporarily from having an epub extension to having a .ZIP extension. That's all an apub file is, is a ZIP compressed archive file.

Best thing to do if your publisher requires no encryption is to opt not to embed the fonts. Do Google the process.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to MW Design

Worth noting here.

You cannot simply unzip the file on Mac. I’ve also had issues with it on WinXP.

Works fine on Vista and Win 7, IME.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • rontiara
    82 posts
    Jul 2, 2009
    Jan 3, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob -- You are quite right:  on a PC, you can't simply unzip an epub file and then rezip it.  I wasn't aware it was possible on Vista and Win7, since I'm still using XP.  However, I did find a program that allows you to edit the HTML in an epub:  it's called Sigil.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jan 3, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to rontiara

Err, you certainly can. Sometimes people have trouble. It's usually because a file browsing utility adds extra files to the unzipped directory that confuses the epub reader. (The Mac Finder can do this, which is why there is trouble over there). You might find it easier, under Windows, to use 7-Zip. But you can certainly unzip them on both platforms...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 1:40 AM   in reply to rontiara

Sigil has the nasty habit of editing files & folder structures all of its own. For example, it silently strips out <video> tags that InDesign helpfully inserts. After some initial puzzlement I steered well clear of it and do all of my ePub-After formatting by hand, pending better software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

I use Dreamweaver.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • rontiara
    82 posts
    Jul 2, 2009
    Jan 4, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

My hunblest apologies, John!  You are quite right about 7zip:  I was able to unzip the file, make changes in plain ol' Notepad2, and rezip the file.  Then I just changed the extension from .zip to .epub.

I can view it in ADE, so I'm assuming it will work in a Nook, etc., also.

The last time I tried the unzip-rezip-rename process, I couldn't open the altered file.  But I was obviously using the wrong zip program.

Lordy, it's hard to keep up!

Thanks for your tip.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jan 4, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I use Dreamweaver.

Bob, do you have some way of editing EPUB files in Dreamweaver without uncompressing them? (At first I thought you meant it supported it. Then I listened to Anne-Marie in last week's podcast and tried it and concluded you didn't. Unless...there is a trick?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

No…sorry for the confusion.

On Win 7, I unzip the epub, do any touch up to the HTML and/or CSS in Dreamweaver and then rezip everything.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to ckunce

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I ran into the same problem when uploading the knitting pattern I designed into barnes and nobles.  I found this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19268/edit-epub-ebooks-with-your-favori te-html-editor/ very helpful as I couldn't figure out how to convert a file name.  Particular the bit about unchecking "hide extensions".   Then I just opened the zip file, deleted the encryption file and uploaded it no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to LindsayLewchuk

I'm reviving this thread because I'm having the same problem as the original poster, but I'm on a mac using indesign, not a PC.

I'm not embedding fonts and still getting error messages from itunes that the file is encrypted. I do not see where to "unencypt" the file—anywhere—using Times New Roman for the font...

I did try to unzip the epub file in hopes of finding the .xml file that is being refered to here, but when I change the extention from epub to zip, and use Yumi zip (which works fine everywhere else) new zip files are created, each time I try to unzip, a new zip file with a new name pops up.

I've tried Adobe chat, and they want me to call tech support... sigh. Does anyone where have any idea how to solve my problem without the hour long phone call that will only end in finger pointing, not solutions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

@GreenFrogPublishing – did you try the apple scripts for unzip/rezip suggested in answer #9 ?

Apart from that, I often used "Springy" together with TextWrangler to edit contents in a zip file.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points