Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

why is the image cropped?

Jan 1, 2012 2:51 PM

Tags: #problem #image #windows #photoshop_cs5

Perhaps I haven't noticed this before...

Because of emminent system failure, I purchased a new PC with Windows7 (upgrade (?) from Windows XP) and then upgraded Photoshop to CS5 from CS3.  However, I notice that when I rotate a "landscape image" and make it a "portrait", I find that the image appears to be cropped automatically, rather than retain the aspect ratio of the "lanscape image"; it appears that the former height in the landscape, becomes the new height in the portrait .  I think it has something to do with the aspect ratio, as manipulating this seems to alleviate the symptom somewhat. It also appears to be present in the other image viewers that are not Adobe.  Can anyone explain this and direct me to information on how to correct this problem?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 1, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Pro_gra_b

Pro_gra_b wrote:

...when I rotate a "landscape image" and make it a "portrait"...

How are you doing this, exactly?

You need to rotate your entire image document.

Try this:  Choose Image - Image Rotation - 90 Degrees Counterclockwise (or the appropriate choice).  What do you see?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 1, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Pro_gra_b

Can you please do screen grabs before and after, save them as JPEGs, and attach them to a post here?

You don't just need to zoom out, do you?  Use the Zoom Tool to change how much of the image you can see.  The Control 0 key combination will make it all fit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points