• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing Animated GIF Significantly

Advocate ,
Jan 01, 2012 Jan 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3.4 meg animated gif.  I was only able to reduce it to 1.8 megs.  Any solution, without reducing colors to shrink the animated gif to under 300K preferable ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

It is very hard to predict the size an animated gf will be. To many variables image complexity and complexity of the animation here is a 390x200 pixel size one that has 150 frames and has a file size of 157KB.  About the size you want yours to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most folks use a video format for a significantly large/long animation.

How big is the image (horizontal pixels x vertical pixels)?

How many frames?

Is it made up of a lot of color complexity?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

320x240 8bit - 186 frames. There isn't extreme color complexity.  I'd like to keep as much as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's moderately small, but with a large frame count.  I'm guessing there must be a fair bit of change between frames in order to get it up to the size you've reported.  GIF compression works best when exactly identical RGB values are maintained across large spaces in the image, and from frame to frame.

Beyond possibly reducing the width and height if possible, I can only suggest fooling with the color table size and other parameters available to you in the Save for Web & Devices dialog and looking critically at the results.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done what you suggested and only got the file size down to about 1.8-1.6 megs a far cry from under 200K.

What about 3rd party converters, do you know any you can suggest being the vast amount on the net?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very hard to predict the size an animated gf will be. To many variables image complexity and complexity of the animation here is a 390x200 pixel size one that has 150 frames and has a file size of 157KB.  About the size you want yours to be.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That animated gif is going to be 157K. It's just a single image with another animated image that probably ony has 3 colors.  I may have to look past animated gif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What content requires 186 frames? What are you trying to show?

A 200kb GIF at that size is usually ~12 frames, certainly not over 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have here a 98,997KB/96.6MB Animated GIF.

I made video - After effects, no sound, the mp4 I export is 11 Megs and I compress it  through sending it over the email so I can get it on Insta.

But the holly GIF is giving me hard time

Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can I see your GIF ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines