Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export HDV to Mpeg-DVD very slow

Jan 1, 2012 4:59 PM

I have a HDV 1080i sequence. I'm exporting to Mpeg-DVD. To export a 20 minute sequence, it takes 12 hours to render. To export a 1 & 1/2 hour sequence, it takes 24-30 hours to render. Now I don't know if that sounds ridiculous, but I think it sounds like it's too long. Below are screen shots of my project,sequence,clip, settings and some info on my computer hardware.

Maybe my settings could be wrong. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

clip info.jpg

effects used.jpg

export settings.jpg

Export time.jpg

As you can see from the times in the above picture this mpeg file took ages to export.

sequence setting.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

You have a third party effect applied.  That could easily slow things down to a crawl.

You also never supplied the hardware info, so it's very easy to believe these times are normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Saad, you are right. That is completely ridiculous. Unfortunately you have bumped into 2 limitations in PrP that could severly limit its use in the professional and semi professional community. Paying clients that are used to working in edit suites will run away screaming if you tell them how long they have to wait for the 20 minute show...or that you are limited to using the Premiere 3 way color corrector. This is the kind of stuff that will motivate editors to switch to Avid or whatever. I really like Premiere and AE and I know Adobe is working its but off to make a great program. But this export problem threatens to really be a deal breaker for lots of folks. I hope it can be addressed and resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Saad, SD files are about 1/5 the size of HD files so thast a lot more video info per frame that you are dealing with when editing HD. If you have a CUDA graphics card (Like the Nvidia 4000 for the Mac like I have) AND if you get rid of all your Colorista effects and instead use the PrP 3 Way color corrector (something you may not want to do since Colorista is great), your time will be reduced. I dont know how much. Using only PrP accelerated effects (if you own a CUDA card) should shorten your time. The speed of your raid 5 array, memory amount, CUDA card and fast processors all help to speed things up. But Exporting is still a slow painful process for certain projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 7:34 PM   in reply to lasvideo

Saad, in fairness to the software. You are take HD video and converting it to SD video that will play on your DVD. Theres a lot of work going into that conversion. I would hazard a gues that if you were just exporting to a HD mastering codec (like Prores or DNxHD) , it would be A LOT faster. Maybe other folks will have ideas to speed things up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Export directly to DVD via Encore. DL

Allow Encore to transcode appropriately.

BTW - I would like to see a frame grab from your AME "output tab"

FWIW: I could out put your project in aproximately realtime. (not 30 hours) and I am interested in why your your screen grabs are squeezed!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Is it taking this long because it's exporting HDV footage?

Using your processor, it's very likely.  Time to upgrade to a modern i7 CPU.  (Which may also involve a new motherboard and memory.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Probably faster than real time.  (Without that third party effect.  I don't know how much that's slowing things down.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

Yes, unfortunately it does. If you were to use the Adobe 3 way color corrector Im sure you could substantially reduce the time. Personally I prefer Magic Bullet Colorista, but I did use the 3 way and found I could get the same results with a much shorter export. If you dont use Adobe accelerated effects you are penalized on export, sad to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

HI Saad Khan.

I have severy overclocked i7-3930K, 16GB 2133 ram, 3x intel SSD. But HDV timeline to DVD is very slow (on CS6). Today my 90 minutes show, using only accelerated FX, and some third party FX here and there (which plays realtime othervise on my CPU, so not a bottle neck), it took 5 hours to export, all CPU 100%, memory 100% and based on number on WATT-meter even GPU works fully (460W total with GTX570, with prime95 CPU makes 350W at max.).

I used MRQ (max rendering quality because of scaling). Without MRQ it takes somewhere around 90-100 minutes, so it is amlost real time.

Today I choosen that (slowest) workflow, because I didn't have time to fiddle with my manual export workflow, as usual, and I had other thing to do during the day, nor I have any SSD left to export.

Othervise I

- export HD timeline as is (no scaling) to Cineform master (you could use other codecs, which do not loose too much quality).

- scale and prepare into SD with Avisynth script

- feed avisinth output directly to HC encoder

Speed of whole process is much faster that Adobe Premire/Encoder/Encore, and it is still looks better when scaled and encodes with much metter quality (or smaller size).

But involves one full HD export. I do make archives of full HD exports, so it's ok. But if final and only target is DVD, thna I strongly reccoment converting files from camcorder output. It's realtime and it saves 5x as much time in editing and postprocessing. My former PC had Q9550, so I had performance like yours, described above. Before I started to use Cineform, I captured HDV from camcorder, than transcoded clips to DV. I finished project in DV, easily and fast exported to DVD, deliver the project, than clients have patience to wait another day or two, when I replaced DV clips with HDV and rerender timeline again to some HD format. So no scaling at export.

Hope it helps.
    regards MIHAEL

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points